View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
. So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic,

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, and too lazy to look it up, what is a Thomas Guide?
BTW, geography is not my forte, so it sounds like something I might need.
Thanks in advance.
Thomas Guides are books of maps for local areas. They are as detailed and accurate as any maps that are available, although there can still be plenty of errors. They have lots of detailed indexes too. I used it extensively when I was running a delivery route in a section of Portland that was all steep hills and ridges. Roads every which way, with no rhyme nor reason. Whole neighborhoods of 10-15 streets, dozens of houses, with only one way in through an unpaved alley. I usually bring the Thomas Guide into the house when I call a school to get directions and then as the secretary speaks, I follow along. They can be a little expensive, Portland area is like $20. But they last for 10 years, for most parts of town, and once you have one you can't figure out how you ever got along withont it.

I think they were originally developed for realtors, who, of course, need detailed accurate maps. At least I know that most realtors use them.