View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Last night, I developed a new respect for those of you who work in the rural parts of this great land, and drive long distances in the dark, in search of a high school or college that needs a ref for the evening. I was sent to a small farming community for a girls varsity game. Was supposed to meet my partner at a certain parking lot so we could drive together, and he knew the way. I got held up, and he left without me (don't blame him at all). So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic, I can tell you for sure. I was so lost and confused. Finally resorted to stopping at every store I came to and asking, "Is this how I get to Gaston?" There were no signs for Gaston anywhere, and no signs to tell what road I was on. Mostly, luck was on my side, and I arrived with six minutes to tip off. Changed during introductions. One hand shake with partner, one each with the coaches, and we were off. Sheez!! I'm glad I don't have to do THAT every evening!