View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Last night, I developed a new respect for those of you who work in the rural parts of this great land, and drive long distances in the dark, in search of a high school or college that needs a ref for the evening. I was sent to a small farming community for a girls varsity game. Was supposed to meet my partner at a certain parking lot so we could drive together, and he knew the way. I got held up, and he left without me (don't blame him at all). So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic, I can tell you for sure. I was so lost and confused. Finally resorted to stopping at every store I came to and asking, "Is this how I get to Gaston?" There were no signs for Gaston anywhere, and no signs to tell what road I was on. Mostly, luck was on my side, and I arrived with six minutes to tip off. Changed during introductions. One hand shake with partner, one each with the coaches, and we were off. Sheez!! I'm glad I don't have to do THAT every evening!
What's so hard???

Easy (but longer) way....Take US Highway 26 west from Portland. Turn left on State Highway 47. Takes you straight to Gaston. Turn right on Park Street. You're there!

The first time I went there, I turned the wrong way in town and drove several mile looking for the school before turning around.

I keep my thomas guide in the car at all times...even when I'm going to familiar schools. You never know when an accident will block the familiar path.