The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

wrong player with the ball

I am somewhat confused. I have read the casebook play mentioned and I disagree with the solution. I cannot believe that if the wrong team gets the BOB and throws it in an then scores, that it cannot be corrected. In the first place a number of rules have been broken by the wrong player throwing in the ball. Delay of game, breaking the plane (as mentioned). I really want to know if the veteran officials on this forum would really let the wrong team score and not correct it. The casebook is the only place this problem is discussed or explained and I think wrongly. If I were a really smart coach, I would get away with this at least once every game. I have always believed that the NFHS rules are very logical, this play and solution to let the score count just because an official (s) went to sleep for a few seconds is not logical or fair. If this really happened in a game would you let the basket count?
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: wrong player with the ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
I am somewhat confused. I have read the casebook play mentioned and I disagree with the solution. I cannot believe that if the wrong team gets the BOB and throws it in an then scores, that it cannot be corrected. In the first place a number of rules have been broken by the wrong player throwing in the ball. Delay of game, breaking the plane (as mentioned). I really want to know if the veteran officials on this forum would really let the wrong team score and not correct it. The casebook is the only place this problem is discussed or explained and I think wrongly. If I were a really smart coach, I would get away with this at least once every game. I have always believed that the NFHS rules are very logical, this play and solution to let the score count just because an official (s) went to sleep for a few seconds is not logical or fair. If this really happened in a game would you let the basket count?
Jerry,
I agree with your logic, but I would bet that "a really smart Coach" would not get away with that every game, unless his "every day officials" were "rule book challenged".
Perhaps the "logic" of this rule is an emboldened message to us to never make this mistake. Onus on us.
mick
Old Thu Nov 23, 2000, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Hold it guys! Better look at this one again!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Had a similar situation occur in a JV game. Inbounding Team A was late getting out after a TO, so I put the ball on the floor and began the count. A confused defensive player, assuming the ball was up for grabs, darted out of bounds, picked up the ball, and tossed it to a teammate in one fell swoop.

I was too startled to react immediately, but finally blew the whistle stopping play before Team B scored and awarded the ball to Team A (again).

Case 7.5.2B seems pretty clear in showing what I did to be in error. Needless to say, I'll be more protective of the ball in the future.

Sven
Actually, in the circumstance that you described, you were right in what you did. The difference is that your play was NOT a mistake by an official. It would be considered either an unsportsmanlike act or an act of confusion.

If you feel that B1 just took advantage of the sitch, then

a. Charge Team B with a technical foul.
b. Cancel the field goal, if B scored.
c. Cancel any common foul(s) committed and any nonflagrant foul against Team B in the act of shooting.
d. Put "consumed" time back on the clock.

Comment: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, especially after a time-out, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball.

The only error of omission that you may have committed would be a failure to put time back on the clock.

Sometimes we don't screw up when we think we screwed up! You got it right and you didn't even know it!

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 22nd, 2000 at 11:56 PM]
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Seems fair now

BBR,
Thanks! I agree with your solution much better than the one mentioned in the case book. I guess this just points out that no matter how hard we try, we officials will occassionaly make mistakes. It is bad enough that the coach, fans, etc. are on us but to have the NFHS in part, assume we will never make a mistake and not be able to correct the mistake made. I really hope the NFHS will expand the correctiable rule section, to include plays like the ones discussed above. What really scares me is that the wrong team could win a ball game by my inability to react quick enough to prevent the wrong team from scoring. Thanks again.
Jerry
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

The situations are not the same

Yes, but again, there's a difference in this play and the one that was originally posted.

1st Play - In the original post, it was an official who erred when he gave the ball to the wrong team. This CANNOT be corrected.

Sven's play - The official did not make a mistake. He properly placed the ball on the floor when A did not return after a timeout. B1 picked the ball up and inbounded it. This can be corrected per my previous post.

Don't confuse the two different plays.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2000, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Great discussion, gentlemen. I really appreciate the input and the chance to continue learning.

Sven