The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Official's Error (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1118-officials-error.html)

HerbH Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:30am

Need help with this one...2 man crew, I am in Trail opposite table; partner in lead table-side. Ball is fumbled and rolls loose from my side beyond 3 pt line and rolls OOB on the baseline, my side. Partner looks for help - I had the call - I signal ball goes to Blue (offensive team) stays in frontcourt. Before I can get in position tableside, partner mistakenly hands ball to White and they make baseball pass length of court and score EZ lay-up. I blow the whistle and advise table to score basket (I'm 99% sure this is right - non-correctable error) We inbound the ball to blue in their front court where the original OOB spot was. Should we have inbounded the ball under Whites basket and allowed them to run the end line, or were we correct?

Brian Watson Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:33am

Yes and No. No you should not have inbounded in the front court. However, you are right, it is not correctable, so Blue should have taken the ball out under whites basket as you would in any other made basket situation. Good call to count the bucket.

JRutledge Fri Nov 17, 2000 01:17pm

Communication

This first started off as a communication problem. You partner should have waited until you were in position and you had made eye contact with them. This is where eye contact can avoid most correctible error situations.

Jerry Baldwin Mon Nov 20, 2000 05:58pm

I don't see how you can count the basket. The ball belonged to blue on the baseline, spot throw-in. Just because white thought the ball belonged to them does not mean it does and they can score. Cancel the basket, bring the ball back to the baseline for a spot throw-in. Maybe I missed something. But the correctable rule section 2-10 starts off "Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside". Then section 2-10-1e says "Erroneously counting or canceling a score." That appears to be the case. White was not intitled to score but they did. So you correct the play. I have had the wrong team score before and cancelled the basket, it usually happens in JHS games.

mick Mon Nov 20, 2000 06:30pm

Oops.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
I don't see how you can count the basket. The ball belonged to blue on the baseline, spot throw-in. Just because white thought the ball belonged to them does not mean it does and they can score. Cancel the basket, bring the ball back to the baseline for a spot throw-in. Maybe I missed something. But the correctable rule section 2-10 starts off "Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside". Then section 2-10-1e says "Erroneously counting or canceling a score." That appears to be the case. White was not intitled to score but they did. So you correct the play. I have had the wrong team score before and cancelled the basket, it usually happens in JHS games.
Jerry,
Check out Case Book 7.5.2B
mick

Dan_ref Mon Nov 20, 2000 09:25pm

Re: Communication

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
This first started off as a communication problem. You partner should have waited until you were in position and you had made eye contact with them. This is where eye contact can avoid most correctible error situations.
Yeah, eye contact is very important on throw-ins but this
case is *not* a correctable error. It's just a referee
f*** up.

Bradley Batt Tue Nov 21, 2000 01:55pm

You are absolutely correct Mick - this is not a correctable error. By rule you cannot correct it anytime after you have granted the throw-in to the incorrect team.

Best way to handle it: Do a "mea culpa" with the coach that is seriously ticked off at you! :)

Tim Roden Tue Nov 21, 2000 01:58pm

Bradley,
A What with the coach?

mick Tue Nov 21, 2000 02:18pm

mea culpa

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Roden
Bradley,
A What with the coach?

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

My fault, my most grievous fault.
mick

Bradley Batt Wed Nov 22, 2000 09:50am

<B>me·a cul·pa</B></A> <I>n.</I> An acknowledgment of a personal error or fault.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 22, 2000 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bradley Batt
You are absolutely correct Mick - this is not a correctable error. By rule you cannot correct it anytime after you have granted the throw-in to the incorrect team.

It can be corrected until the ball is touched inbounds on the erroneous throw-in. If you blow the whistle prior to that point, the only rule you have is the one that caused the ball to be dead the first time. That allows you to some time to correct it. (See case 6.3.1D for a similar situation)

mick Wed Nov 22, 2000 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
It can be corrected until the ball is touched inbounds on the erroneous throw-in. If you blow the whistle prior to that point, the only rule you have is the one that caused the ball to be dead the first time. That allows you to some time to correct it. (See case 6.3.1D for a similar situation) [/B]
Camron,
I think the thread was talking about the play after the wrong team threw the ball in and not an "Oops, gimmee back that ball." :)
mick

Sven Wed Nov 22, 2000 03:16pm

Had a similar situation occur in a JV game. Inbounding Team A was late getting out after a TO, so I put the ball on the floor and began the count. A confused defensive player, assuming the ball was up for grabs, darted out of bounds, picked up the ball, and tossed it to a teammate in one fell swoop.

I was too startled to react immediately, but finally blew the whistle stopping play before Team B scored and awarded the ball to Team A (again).

Case 7.5.2B seems pretty clear in showing what I did to be in error. Needless to say, I'll be more protective of the ball in the future.

Sven

mick Wed Nov 22, 2000 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Sven
Had a similar situation occur in a JV game. Inbounding Team A was late getting out after a TO, so I put the ball on the floor and began the count. A confused defensive player, assuming the ball was up for grabs, darted out of bounds, picked up the ball, and tossed it to a teammate in one fell swoop.

I was too startled to react immediately, but finally blew the whistle stopping play before Team B scored and awarded the ball to Team A (again).

Case 7.5.2B seems pretty clear in showing what I did to be in error. Needless to say, I'll be more protective of the ball in the future.

Sven

Sven,
Did you also "Warn" defense for breaking the plane,
per Rule 7-6-3 ?

mick

Bart Tyson Wed Nov 22, 2000 04:16pm

Sven, i think Mick gives you an out on this one. Just call violation on the def., official warning and play on.