The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I don't know a thing about what college supervisors tell their guys and gals regarding mechanics, as I am working on my 1st season of HS and my 2nd season overall. However, I am just about obsessed with officiating and all of its intricacies, so I watch the officials at every game I attend or watch on tv. It seems like the D1 guys have developed their own style and they do what works for them, yet still communicates strength. I haven't really noticed any two officials report fouls, etc. the exact same way. Also, D1 officials seem to signal exactly what happened on the play. For example, if a player gets hit in the head on the way up, they signal a blow to the head, not a "hack". Like I said, I don't know why they do it. All I know is they are where we all want to be so I'm not about to knock it...In fact, I would even go so far as to say D1 reporting mechanics may even be better than HS because they don't leave you stranded on an island as you go through shirt color, number, nature of foul, and result of play. D1 guys get to report as they walk toward the table and by the time they are even close to coaches, players, fans on the first few rows, they are done and back to surveying the floor.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 08:59pm
In Memoriam

Re: This is a hobby.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If I do enough of those games in a week, I have enough money to put my kids through school for the year....
Say wha'?
mick
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 11:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation You got that right.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If I do enough of those games in a week, I have enough money to put my kids through school for the year....
Say wha'?
mick
If THEY, THEY DO enough games, THEY can put them their kids thru school.

Sorry, I am at my Mom's house and she was calling me every two seconds. And I was on my way to doing a basketball game tonight.

SAY WHAT IS RIGHT!!!

Peace

Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I think we understand each other. . .I just think in general, a guy should do his best to respect the game he's working as best he can and use the proper mechanics as best he can.

And I certainly have an appreciation for getting the calls right. That absolutely is the highest priority.
We agree comletely.

BTW, what keeps you moving so much that you've been in 5 associations in 11 years?!?!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by sleebo
D1 guys get to report as they walk toward the table
They don't really get to. Some of them do it, but like much of what we've been discussing, they're not really supposed to. "Walk and talk" reporting is an NBA mechanic and I think it's also used by NCAAW officials. But according to the manual, the men's officials are still supposed to hustle to the reporting area (or at least clear the players), stop, and then make their report.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I think we understand each other. . .I just think in general, a guy should do his best to respect the game he's working as best he can and use the proper mechanics as best he can.

And I certainly have an appreciation for getting the calls right. That absolutely is the highest priority.
We agree comletely.

BTW, what keeps you moving so much that you've been in 5 associations in 11 years?!?!
Ahhh, glad you asked. I originally started in upstate New York where I grew up. As soon as I was able, I moved out (those winters are harsh) to Orange County California and reffed there for a couple years while working in the defense industry. Then a democrat was elected and the defense jobs dried up, and I ended up moving to Albuquerque, NM (The worst association of all I've worked) for a year. Couldn't stand it there and moved back to California, but to the Bay Area (South Bay) and worked there for a few years. Then I was in that gray area on the cusp of moving up to varsity ball. I felt that in order to get there I would have to "play the political games" and sacrifice too much of my values in order to "fit in" with the very arrogant varsity guys in that association. I felt burnt out so I quit. 5 years later here I am in Portland Oregon with a fresh outlook and thought I'd give it another go. Turns out this is by far the best association of all that I've worked and everyone I've met so far (varsity or novice) is fantastic to work with.

As a caveat to the editorial comments about the South Bay Association, I have never cared what level I worked - I just do this because I enjoy it. I felt that the majority of the varsity refs in that association thought they walked on water and often talked down to every non-varsity official they came in contact with. One game that I specifically remember just before I quit, my partner got a call wrong. It didn't affect the result of the game but it was a blown call. So be it. After the game, some guy in plain clothes comes down on the floor and gets right in the face of my partner reading him the riot act. So I jump in and ask him who the hell he thinks he is. He tells me he's one of the varsity refs for the next game. Never introduced himself as an official, never asked about the call, just jumped in my partner's face with nothing but cut-downs. Who needs that? It took the fun out of it for me, and so that's why I quit. I actually recommend anyone who feels a little burnt or isn't having the fun they once had to take a year or two off. My mechanics are surprisingly still sharp and I feel great. I find myself loving it again.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 12:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I only work high school games. I don't work college games or pay much attention to college mechanics. I know that the best games I have are with a partner who is on the same page as me and I know exactly what he's doing whenever he blows the whistle. If my partner starts using mechanics I am not familiar with, it's only going to cause confusion and hesitancy on my part trying to figure out what he's got. I don't care if a guy is new or has dozens of years experience, if he uses funky mechanics it's only going to hurt my game as his partner.

[Edited by Smitty on Dec 8th, 2003 at 04:31 PM]
I'll admit that sometimes I don't put my hand up before pointing on an out of bounds call. When I work with my one partner that works mainly college games, I'm even worse.

The purpose of mechanics is to be able to communicate to the participants and the people watching. When I get a bit excited and bang my hips on a block, can anyone honestly say that they don't know what I'm calling?

When I blow my whistle and point downcourt, how many timers don't stop the clock? It's an idiotic, extraneous mechanic that has no usefulness at all.

HS mechanics are different because some official or administrator LIKES being different. There's no reason a college crew couldn't work a HS game with HS rules and use ALL college mechanics. Most observers would know EXACTLY what was called by those officials.

If you guys want to hang your hats on this garbage, feel free. I want a partner with a patient whistle and sound judgement and outstanding communication skills with mechanics good enough to let me know what he's calling. Whether he puts his hand up before pointing down the court means precious little to me.

Rich
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 07:14am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I only work high school games. I don't work college games or pay much attention to college mechanics.

HS mechanics are different because some official or administrator LIKES being different. There's no reason a college crew couldn't work a HS game with HS rules and use ALL college mechanics. Most observers would know EXACTLY what was called by those officials.

If you guys want to hang your hats on this garbage, feel free. I want a partner with a patient whistle and sound judgement and outstanding communication skills with mechanics good enough to let me know what he's calling. Whether he puts his hand up before pointing down the court means precious little to me.
Six times, in one game, a partner goes table side to report a foul and stayed there.
Four times, partner stayed at Center opposite rather than replace reporting partner.
Once, partner tried to force a technical foul throw-in at POI instead of division line opposite.

In each case of the eleven cases, another official was affected. In all but one case, both partners were affected.

There is a reason for using proper mechanics.

I'll bet my mask, Rich, that you will not tolerate softball mechanics on the big diamond.

mick

Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

I really didn't have reporting and rotating in mind, Mick.

I'll let you in on a little secret, though. I worked with a guy a few weeks ago in a 3-whistle HS game who wanted to go tableside cause he calls 90% college games. We did it as a crew the entire game. I loved it, BTW. I work with some guys who don't want to "long switch" in a 2-whistle game or who want to stay in position if the trail calls a foul in the frontcourt rather than complete an awkward switch after reporting. I do whatever my partner wants to do unless he defers to me. Then we go by the book as I think it is EASIER to do things by the book than to remember crew-specific exceptions. Not better, just easier.

So be it -- I am flexible enough to do whatever my partner wants. Last thing I want is to have an argument with a partner who wants to do things a different way.

My favorite partner? The guy that switches on every foul.

Baseball is no different, Mick -- we pregame before every game so I know what mechanics differences there are between us. Most of us work strictly pro mechanics in baseball (HS and college games -- although I've ordered the CCA Manual for baseball so I know what they want in case my conferences work those mechanics). There is no such stigma on baseball officials as there seems to be coming from the basketball officials.

Here's a question for the baseball umpires: In a HS game, who covers third base on a bases empty triple? Now look in the NFHS manual for what they have to say. But nobody in baseball is so anal about FED mechanics.

I was reading the incresingly irrelevant Referee magazine a few months ago where their basketball article spent a long time talking about how using college mechanics (or non-approved mechanics) signifies a bad attitude. In the next breath, Referee suggests that the trail official (in 2-whistle) cover the sideline opposite above the FT line extended because that area is in the official's primary. Many officials use this in WI (imagine that), and I think the coverage is idiotic. If we're going to do that, then the trail should have the baseline over to the near lane line since that area is in the trail's primary as well. But I adapt.

And yes, I would get annoyed at BB umpires working SB mechanics -- pretty hard to call the game from behind the diamond

Rich
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Another point

(that I've made here a few times before and) that I think can be made here again is that the mechanics of making a call and communicating that call to your partner, the players, and the crowd is simple. I say simple because you have the great example in your book - you've got a picture of every mechanic. Your arm is supposed to be here; your fingers are like such; this signal comes first and then follow it with this one. This is simple. You've got a precise definition of what each mechanic should look like and there are only a few of them to learn. What could be more simple. Everyone can memorize these few signals.

The mechanics are straight-forward. As several have pointed out though, it is the judgment and social skills that are most important to the game. Communication mechanics has a crucial role but it is judgement and your ability to interact with coaches and players that make you the outstanding official.

Do you make the needed calls and pass on the unnecessary ones? Can you sell it to the crowd and the coaches and the players that you have intentionally passed on an obvious call and have no one be upset at you? Can you wisely use your judgement to allow a player to work through an obvious foul, continue, and score? Can you communicate with the irate coach and not get emotionally involved? Can you assess a technical foul without breaking your fingers? da-dala-dala....

The physical action of properly performing mechanics is a simple requirment of an official. It is the judgement and social skills that make the top quality official.... so even if you don't portray the perfect by-the-book mechanics you can still communicate and you can still be a great official!

There's my quarter (two bits)