View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 07:14am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I only work high school games. I don't work college games or pay much attention to college mechanics.

HS mechanics are different because some official or administrator LIKES being different. There's no reason a college crew couldn't work a HS game with HS rules and use ALL college mechanics. Most observers would know EXACTLY what was called by those officials.

If you guys want to hang your hats on this garbage, feel free. I want a partner with a patient whistle and sound judgement and outstanding communication skills with mechanics good enough to let me know what he's calling. Whether he puts his hand up before pointing down the court means precious little to me.
Six times, in one game, a partner goes table side to report a foul and stayed there.
Four times, partner stayed at Center opposite rather than replace reporting partner.
Once, partner tried to force a technical foul throw-in at POI instead of division line opposite.

In each case of the eleven cases, another official was affected. In all but one case, both partners were affected.

There is a reason for using proper mechanics.

I'll bet my mask, Rich, that you will not tolerate softball mechanics on the big diamond.

mick