The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 08:56am
In Memoriam

Question

You toss the ball at center circle to start the game.
Your whistle is hangin'.
You get bumped by a jumper and the ball goes askew.
Partner watchin' what?
Clock starts on touch, You get bumped again; you fumble for your whistle, find it and blow the ball dead.
Clock says, "7:56".

Now what?
mick

Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 09:24am
Huck Finn

bring it back and toss again. that's it.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

And get the hellouttatheway this time!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, why wouldn't you put the time back on the clock? You have definite knowledge of what it should be?? Just curious?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Hey guys, why wouldn't you put the time back on the clock? You have definite knowledge of what it should be?? Just curious?
"Definite knowledge" applies to timing errors. There's been no timing error since the clock (apparently) was started & stopped properly.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 11:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

It may not be correct per rule, but I would (and have) reset the clock since the game starts on the good toss.

Of course, I am in the camp that blowing it down causes more problems than it solves. YMMV.

Rich
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Dan, I don't think it did start correctly...it should not have started, it was a dead ball, therefore started incorrectly. Just my thought, and hopefully 4 seconds wouldn't make a big difference...but then again you never know..
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Dan, I don't think it did start correctly...it should not have started, it was a dead ball, therefore started incorrectly. Just my thought, and hopefully 4 seconds wouldn't make a big difference...but then again you never know..
The clock starts on the touch (which Mick seems to be saying happened) and it took maybe 4 seconds for Mick to grab his whistle & blow it dead (and it looks like the clock was stopped) so the timer acted properly...unless you have something else in mind?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't initially reply cause mick's little poem leaves much to the imagination. Was this a bad toss and therefore no toss? If so, re-set the clock. Or was this a good toss, no clear control (dual touch), ball subsquently OOB off both players, and therefore time should have run? If so, leave it alone and re-jump.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Whether or not the clock was started correctly...reset the clock and start over because its the right thing to do.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I didn't initially reply cause mick's little poem leaves much to the imagination. Was this a bad toss and therefore no toss? If so, re-set the clock.
Got a rule, AR, case play or memo on this?

Quote:
Originally posted by garote

Whether or not the clock was started correctly...reset the clock and start over because its the right thing to do.

You guys could be right but I've never seen one.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

5-9-2
If play is started or resumed by a jump, the clock shall be started when the tossed ball is legally touched.

If the toss is bad, ball is not live and it is not legally touched, therefore clock doesn't start (or shouldn't). That's why I say re-set on first condition I outlined - obviously subject to debate.

As for starting in the second case, it seems clear to me. Ball was legally touched, clock starts on tap and stops on whistle. That's how the rule reads (stopping is in 5-8-1, and it is when official signals a violation, not when violation occurs).
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I didn't initially reply cause mick's little poem leaves much to the imagination. Was this a bad toss and therefore no toss? If so, re-set the clock.

Quote:
Originally posted by garote

The clock shouldn't start until the jump ball is legally touched.

If the R doesn't throw the ball up at in a plane at right angles to the sidelines and dso the ball will drop between the jumpers, it's not a jump ball, so the ball isn't legally touched.

And, yes, I'm reaching to find rules that support what I think is the "right" thing to do here.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/b]

[/B][/QUOTE]I have. Casebook play 5.10.1SitA- "In instances where the the timer has NOT made an obvious mistake, the referee is NOT authorized to either put time on the clock or take time off the clock".

That's pretty clear. Forget about putting the 4 seconds back on. The rules won't let you.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:15pm
Huck Finn

The ball is live when it leaves the R's hand(s). The clock is started when it is legally touched. I would really like to see a rule that really gives a strong foundation for putting the time back on the clock. I've never heard of this but there is a first time for everything.