Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 3 sec

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
Whell, just to let everyone know & to restate that i wasnt looking for the 3 seconds call but the game was really boring ... Any suggestions I understand that it stops the game and it is a hassle to call it.
Yes, 3-second calls really do make for a boring game. Avoid them if you possibly can. Arm swing is not necessary and should be avoided for the 3-second count. Especially if you are trying to avoid making the call... now everyone can see what you are doing and might begin screaming for the call when your arm reaches four wags.

I tend to talk to the players telling them to "get out of the key" or "clear the key." If I can say that to a player several times (repeating one after another)and they have ignored my requests it is time to make the call.

I try to avoid the call unless it is a player in the key WITH THE BALL - fake fake faking... fake some more... fake one more time (after I have given allowance for the attempt per the allowance of Rule 9-7) I now reward the defense for stopping him from finishing his play with a shot... or if the player can't get a shot off and then passes out of the key but remains standing in the key instead of immediately leaving. But I do try to avoid them and disuade the players from camping. Three HS games during the last week and no 3-second calls.

Good luck
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

You should never use a visible count for 3 secs. I usually will tell a player to get out of the key, if the player doesnt move, I may say it again. If the player still remains after all this! I will blow the whistle to get the attention of the player and will call 3 seconds. I very rarely call three seconds. But I would say on an average in HS ball. 1 in every three games.

What Downtown said...he beat me to it!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Thank you for the tip not to give visiable cts. for 3 seconds. Everyone has been very helpful. This year i will try to focus on the actual shooting fouls instead of looking for fouls & 3-seconds. Thank you again.