The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me and my partner in a two man Junior College game. Help me out on this one (please use NCAA Rules):
A1 attempts a layup and is fouled by B1. As the ball is bouncing around the ring, A2 jumps up, grabs the ring with his left hand, does a chin up and tries (but fails) to get possession of the ball for a dunk.
The official who called the foul on B1 for blocking also calls a technical on A2 for grasping the ring.
The calling official wants to do the following:
* First, have Team B shoot the two free throws for the technical foul (which is neither a team foul nor a personal foul).
* Second, continue the game from the point of interruption (Two free throws for A1).
However, as the calling official is reporting this to the table and explaining the proper procedure to the coaches, the non-calling official has A1 attempt his two free throws with the lane cleared (he makes both).
The calling official is stunned because both officials agreed in the pregame conference that they would slow down and take their time if a technical was called.
The officials conference and decide to have Team B shoot the free throws for the technical and then give the ball to Team B with the opportunity to run the endline.

Obviously, the problem came when the non-calling official rushed to have A1 shoot his two free throws. My question is this, did we do the right thing after the mistake or is there some other procedure we should have followed? We both looked through the rule book and the case book on the ride home, but couldn't find an answer.

If anyone finds the proper procedure in the rule book or case book, please cite it for me. Thanks!
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I can give you the NFHS ruling

Shoot in the order of occurance. A1's basket attempt is no good, if it went in, because of A2's BI. A1 get's his two FTs with the lane cleared. Then B shoots their 2 FTs for the T, and is awarded the throw-in at the division line.

Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LukeZ
Well, I can give you the NFHS ruling

Shoot in the order of occurance. A1's basket attempt is no good, if it went in, because of A2's BI. A1 get's his two FTs with the lane cleared. Then B shoots their 2 FTs for the T, and is awarded the throw-in at the division line.

Why 2 shots for the foul. If basket counted for BI wouldnt it one shot?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

It was offensive BI - no goal.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I see this as correctable error. You were supposed to shoot the techs then continue at POI. You continued at POI w/o shooting the techs, FTs were made. It is now B's ball. Then you note that you failed to award B's FTs for the tech. You give those FTs, and resume at the point where the error was noted - ball to B on baseline free to run.

I know it wasn't like correctable error to you at the time, but you could use this as a basis for backing your decision.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Couple of game management notes.

I always pregame that when we have a "T" two officials should get together (the thrid official watches the players) and decide what's going to happen before the T is reported to the table. This helps calm everybody down, makes sure you've got the proper procedure in place, make sure you're shooting the free throws at the right basket, etc.

Also make sure that all officials are ready to go before you put the ball in play. In this case, with one official still explaining to the coaches what happened and what's going to happen, the other official shouldn't have put the ball in play. Wait another second and make sure everyone's ready to go.

Again- pregame, pregame, pregame.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I see this as correctable error. You were supposed to shoot the techs then continue at POI. You continued at POI w/o shooting the techs, FTs were made. It is now B's ball. Then you note that you failed to award B's FTs for the tech. You give those FTs, and resume at the point where the error was noted - ball to B on baseline free to run.

I know it wasn't like correctable error to you at the time, but you could use this as a basis for backing your decision.
I agree with Hawks Coach. You gave everyone the allotted shots and B the ball they would have had.

Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

We had a similar situation this weekend in a NAIA game (NCAA rules). A1 fouled on the shot followed by a technical foul on B1.

We penalized in order of occurrence (whoops) allowing the shooting foul throws to be attempted first then the two for the tech... as the final free throw was being shot (with all other players at mid court), one of my partners and myself looked at each other with an "oh sh!t" look.

Question: Is this truly a correctable error situation? How should this have been correctly resolved after the fact?

We ended up going to the possession arrow after explaining (and apologizing) to the coaches...even thought they had no clue we enforced it wrong.

It was our first game of the year...needless to say we will never get that one wrong again
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Per NCAA rules, you handled the situation correctly.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mnref
We had a similar situation this weekend in a NAIA game (NCAA rules). A1 fouled on the shot followed by a technical foul on B1.

We penalized in order of occurrence (whoops) allowing the shooting foul throws to be attempted first then the two for the tech... as the final free throw was being shot (with all other players at mid court), one of my partners and myself looked at each other with an "oh sh!t" look.

Question: Is this truly a correctable error situation? How should this have been correctly resolved after the fact?

We ended up going to the possession arrow after explaining (and apologizing) to the coaches...even thought they had no clue we enforced it wrong.
Not sure if you had it wrong. As I understand the rule, you should have gone to the arrow if A missed the second of the initial FTs for the personal, given ball to B on baseline as above if A made this FT. Other thoughts?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 01:53pm
Huck Finn

Quote:

I think this was handled correctly but is it a "correctable error?" I don't have my book to look it up.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I reason it into correctable error as follows:

FTs should have been B then A.

A has taken FTs.

Now we realize B needs to take FTs, so B has not been awarded merited FTs - this is correctable.

We award B their merited FTs.

We re-start at POI, B gets ball, free to run baseline.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I reason it into correctable error as follows:

FTs should have been B then A.

A has taken FTs.

Now we realize B needs to take FTs, so B has not been awarded merited FTs - this is correctable.

We award B their merited FTs.

We re-start at POI, B gets ball, free to run baseline.
Hawks Coach, I agree with your reasoning on this play. However, if the officials don't realize the mistake until after all free-throws are attempted, then it does not fit any of the correctable error categories. Funny that whether or not it is a correctable error depends on the time that the officials realize the mistake!

The NCAA ruling is complicated by the POI, whereas in NFHS you wouldn't care what order they were taken in and just administer the division line throw-in (see the casebook play on shooting free-throws in the wrong order).
Therefore, I also believe that you are correct that what happened with the last free throw for the personal foul determines whether or not you use the AP arrow. If it was good, give the ball to the opponent and no arrow, but if missed you have to use the arrow, since neither team got a chance at the rebound.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Lets say, for arguments sake, we don't know we got the FTs backwards until we are ready to put the ball in play (NCAA rules). A made both FTs, B has taken two FTs - now we have a decision to make. Who gets the ball and where?

If A missed the second, we have AP no matter what at this point. But would you use AP if A had made the second of the FTs, just because you didn't catch your mistake until after B shot?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lets say, for arguments sake, we don't know we got the FTs backwards until we are ready to put the ball in play (NCAA rules). A made both FTs, B has taken two FTs - now we have a decision to make. Who gets the ball and where?

If A missed the second, we have AP no matter what at this point. But would you use AP if A had made the second of the FTs, just because you didn't catch your mistake until after B shot?
Nope. "If it was good, give the ball to the opponent and no arrow,..."