Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 29, 2024, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disqualifications Five Fouls ...

Substitutes are waiting at the table.

Foul called.

Calling official heads to the reporting area, stops, counts, or does not count, basket (if necessary), verbally indicates color, verbally and by two handed signal indicates number, verbally and by signal indicates type of foul (block, push, etc.), and then indicates spot of throwin, or number of free throws.

Table immediately notifies to the reporting official the fifth foul on the offending player for purposes of disqualification.

I do realize there here are procedures in place to disqualify the player, notify the head coach, start the fifteen second clock with a horn, notify the player.

Are there NFHS rules or mechanics that tell the reporting official not to allow the substitutes to enter before the head coach replaces the disqualified player?

Are there NFHS rules or mechanics that tell the reporting official not to grant a request for timeout before the head coach replaces the disqualified player?

Citations please (please copy and paste, I don't have access to a NFHS mechanics manual).

Same questions, but for IAABO mechanics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 29, 2024 at 01:23pm.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 08:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I would want to know if the substitute is or can come in for the disqualified player. If so then I am letting them in. If this is not the sub coming in for the the DQ'd player then I might wait until the DQ'd situation is complete or obvious not to confuse the issue.

This is not procedural but likely a "best practice." I guess you could let them in immediately, but I have found that the DQ'd situation gets confusing to the table if people are coming in without any consideration to getting the proper sub in place and in the game.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Best Practice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"best practice" ... I have found that the DQ'd situation gets confusing to the table if people are coming in without any consideration to getting the proper sub in place and in the game.
Agree.

Anybody got a citation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 30, 2024 at 12:55pm.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2024, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Found It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are there NFHS rules or mechanics that tell the reporting official not to grant a request for timeout before the head coach replaces the disqualified player?
Rule 5 - Section 8 Time-Out, Stopping Play
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, must be stopped when an official:
Art.. 3 . . . Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:
b. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available and required.

Old Tue Oct 01, 2024, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Artificial Intelligence ...

Found this on ChatGPT (artificial intelligence):

Under NFHS basketball rules, substitutes cannot enter the game before a disqualified player is replaced. Here’s the process:

Disqualification: When a player is disqualified (for example, due to five personal fouls), the coach is notified by the official.

15 Seconds for Replacement: The coach is given 15 seconds to replace the disqualified player. During this time, the substitute for the disqualified player must be ready to enter the game.

Substitution Process: Only after the disqualified player has been replaced can other substitutes enter the game, provided they have properly reported to the scorer's table.

In summary, no other substitutes can enter the game before the disqualified player is replaced. The disqualified player must be substituted first, after which the game may continue and other substitutions may be allowed.

I'm not foolish enough to believe everything that artificial intelligence tells me.

Anybody got a NFHS citation to confirm, or deny, this?

Old Tue Oct 01, 2024, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is ChatGPT? And what significance does it have to a ruling in NF rules? Seriously do not know what that is.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 01, 2024, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Super Search Engine ...

Quote:
What is ChatGPT? And what significance does it have to a ruling in NF rules? Seriously do not know what that is.
Artificial intelligence. Kind of like a super search engine, i.e. a search engine of all search engines (the entire internet).

Ask any question (I often ask Bible questions for my Prison Ministry Bible study program) and get an answer.

Sometimes to most times it's correct.

Get used to it, it's being used almost everywhere, to write article in Sports Illustrated, articles in your local newspaper, articles on the internet, college papers, and reviews on Amazon.

It can also make "deep fake" photos (a super version of Photo Shop).

Quote:
I'm not foolish enough to believe everything that artificial intelligence tells me.
One has to be very careful in using it.

Good place to start, but always try to find attentional resources.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 01, 2024 at 06:30pm.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Under NFHS basketball rules, substitutes cannot enter the game before a disqualified player is replaced. Here’s the process:

Disqualification: When a player is disqualified (for example, due to five personal fouls), the coach is notified by the official.

15 Seconds for Replacement: The coach is given 15 seconds to replace the disqualified player. During this time, the substitute for the disqualified player must be ready to enter the game.

Substitution Process: Only after the disqualified player has been replaced can other substitutes enter the game, provided they have properly reported to the scorer's table.

In summary, no other substitutes can enter the game before the disqualified player is replaced. The disqualified player must be substituted first, after which the game may continue and other substitutions may be allowed.

A couple of citations for you:

3-3-1c
NOTE: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

3.3.1 SITUATION E: B6 has properly reported to the scorer to enter the game. A1 is then fouled in the act of a three-point try. Prior to the first attempt, A1 is discovered to be bleeding: (a) B6 and A6, who is replacing bleeding A1, enter prior to the first free-throw attempt; (b) substitutes A7 and A8 report to the scorer's table after B6 and A6 enter the game; or (c) all substitutes in (a) and (b) enter the game when time-out is requested by B3. RULING: In (a), A6 must replace bleeding-player A1 before the free throw is administered, B6 may also enter because the player had legally reported to the table and another player had been directed to leave the game by the official. In (b), A7 and A8 must wait until prior to the last remaining free throw to enter the game. In (c), the time-out by B3 cannot be honored until the substitute for A1 has properly reported and entered. Once the time-out is granted, all substitutes may enter. A1 may remain in the game if Team A requests and is granted a time-out.

I also recall an NFHS play ruling stating to hold any incoming substitutes while waiting for a DQ’d player to be replaced and then bring them all in. I believe that was in the NFHS Interps and should be in the archive on this website.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 09:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Substituting Player - Disqualifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I also recall an NFHS play ruling stating to hold any incoming substitutes while waiting for a DQ’d player to be replaced and then bring them all in.
I also recalled the same thing until I found an old thread with a post from Nevadaref that indicated otherwise, later (today) contradicting himself (I'm not the only one who can do neat trick).

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post555187

So I did a little more research in my old rulebooks and found this:

2003-04 NFHS Points of Emphasis

5) Substituting Player - Disqualifications

G) When a substitute approaches the scorer’s table from the offending team the administering official (and/or the official scorer) should ask the player if he/she is intending to replace the disqualified player.

H) If a substitute from the non-offending team or a substitute for the offending team for someone other than the disqualified player reports to the scorer during the wait for the required substitute, they may enter the game. (3-3-1-D)

I) A warning horn shall now be sounded at 20 seconds (now 15 seconds) if the required substitute has not reported to the scorer’s table. This is an indication to the head coach that a substitute should report immediately (2-12-5). This warning horn does not have the same substitution restrictions as a warning horn for a time-out (3-3-1a); other substitutes from either team may still report and enter the game until the ball is about to become live. (3-3-2)

2023-24 NFHS Rules

3-3-1-D: If entry is at any time other than between quarters, and a substitute who is entitled and ready to enter reports to the scorer, the scorer must use a sounding device or game horn, if, or as soon as, the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.

3-3-1-A: A substitute who desires to enter must report to the scorer, giving his/her number.
a. Between quarters, at halftime and during a time-out, the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission or the

3-3-2: The substitute must remain outside the boundary until an official beckons, whereupon he/she must enter immediately. If the ball is about to become live, the beckoning signal should be withheld. The entering substitute must not replace a designated jumper or a free thrower except as in 8-2 and 8-3. If the substitute enters to replace a player who must jump or attempt a free throw, he/she must withdraw until the next opportunity to substitute.

2-12-5: Sound a warning signal to announce 15 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.

I guess that artificial intelligence isn't as intelligent as many make it out to be.

Or, has there been a NFHS change regarding this since 2003-04 (or 2008-09)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 02, 2024 at 10:18am.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night ...

Quote:
... has there been a NFHS change regarding this since 2003-04 (or 2008-09)?
Quote:
I also recall an NFHS play ruling stating to hold any incoming substitutes while waiting for a DQ’d player to be replaced and then bring them all in. I believe that was in the NFHS Interps and should be in the archive on this website.
The plot thickens ....

2002-03 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 3: A1 fouls out of the game. The Team A coach talks to a substitute and within 15 seconds sends the substitute to the table to report in the game. A Team B player then requests a time-out. RULING: Since a time-out may not be granted until a disqualified player is replaced, the administering official should ask the substitute at the table if he/she is the replacement for A1. If so, the time-out may be granted. If not, the substitute shall remain at the table and the coach must still replace A1 within the specified timeframe before the time-out may be granted. (3-3-1;10-5-1d; 5-8-3b)

2020-21 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 10: A1 fouls out of the game. The Team A coach talks to a substitute and within 15 seconds sends the substitute to the table to report in the game. A Team B player then requests a time-out. RULING: Since a time-out may not be granted until a disqualified player is replaced, the administering official should ask the substitute at the table if he/she is the replacement for A1. If so, the time-out may be granted. If not, the substitute shall remain at the table and the coach must still replace A1 within the specified timeframe before the time-out may be granted. (3-3-1, 5-8-3b, 10-6-2)

Could artificial intelligence really be intelligent? Do artificial sweeteners taste sweet? Is artificial turf turf?

Quote:
Found this on ChatGPT (artificial intelligence): Substitution Process: Only after the disqualified player has been replaced can other substitutes enter the game, provided they have properly reported to the scorer's table. In summary, no other substitutes can enter the game before the disqualified player is replaced. The disqualified player must be substituted first, after which the game may continue and other substitutions may be allowed.
Did JRutledge nail this?

Quote:
I would want to know if the substitute is or can come in for the disqualified player. If so then I am letting them in. If this is not the sub coming in for the the DQ'd player then I might wait until the DQ'd situation is complete or obvious not to confuse the issue.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 02, 2024 at 10:41am.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 10:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Artificial intelligence. Kind of like a super search engine, i.e. a search engine of all search engines (the entire internet).

Ask any question (I often ask Bible questions for my Prison Ministry Bible study program) and get an answer.

Sometimes to most times it's correct.

Get used to it, it's being used almost everywhere, to write article in Sports Illustrated, articles in your local newspaper, articles on the internet, college papers, and reviews on Amazon.

It can also make "deep fake" photos (a super version of Photo Shop).

One has to be very careful in using it.

Good place to start, but always try to find attentional resources.
I am aware of Artificial Intelligence, I am asking about the relevance of what we are discussing here.

Very familiar with how it works and it is relevance to the society, but talking about what we do here is not very relevant as I see it.

Also it has been referenced that when a sub is coming into the game for a DQ'd situation, all other subs may come in when they are available at the time. That is not a major change or difference than before.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I can't provide a citation for holding the pending subs at the table until the required sub has reported, but I can give a reason why this might be a good idea:

Say A6 is waiting to sub in for A1, who is their best FT shooter. B3 is required to be replaced and while you are waiting, you beckon in A6. B-HC does not make the substitution in the required time, and you must assess a TF. A-HC wants A1 to shoot the FTs, but now he can't enter until he sits a tick.

By holding the sub, you give A-HC more options on who can shoot the FTs.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 05:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dueling Banjoes ...

Quote:
... it has been referenced that when a sub is coming into the game for a DQ'd situation, all other subs may come in when they are available at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I can't provide a citation for holding the pending subs at the table until the required sub has reported ...
We’ve got a 2003-04 NFHS Points of Emphasis that says that if a substitute (from either or both teams) for someone other than the disqualified player reports to the scorer during the wait for the required substitute, they may enter the game.

Conversely, we’ve got a 2020-21 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretation that says that the substitute shall remain at the table until the disqualified player has been replaced.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I’m going with the most recent interpretation, substitutes shall remain at the table until the disqualified player has been replaced.

Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 07:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
A couple of citations for you:

3-3-1c
NOTE: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

3.3.1 SITUATION E: B6 has properly reported to the scorer to enter the game. A1 is then fouled in the act of a three-point try. Prior to the first attempt, A1 is discovered to be bleeding: (a) B6 and A6, who is replacing bleeding A1, enter prior to the first free-throw attempt; (b) substitutes A7 and A8 report to the scorer's table after B6 and A6 enter the game; or (c) all substitutes in (a) and (b) enter the game when time-out is requested by B3. RULING: In (a), A6 must replace bleeding-player A1 before the free throw is administered, B6 may also enter because the player had legally reported to the table and another player had been directed to leave the game by the official. In (b), A7 and A8 must wait until prior to the last remaining free throw to enter the game. In (c), the time-out by B3 cannot be honored until the substitute for A1 has properly reported and entered. Once the time-out is granted, all substitutes may enter. A1 may remain in the game if Team A requests and is granted a time-out.

👍

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 08, 2024, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Dont trust ChatGPT on anything. Its about as bad as wikipedia. Especially when it comes to rules. Ive gotten the dumb thing to give me 3-4 different (wrong) answers to other rules issues before it just started looping back and forth to those different(and wrong) answers. Its core issue it only knows what its been old and what its been told is still quite limited and the timeline of what it knows isnt too recent.