The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Is this right? I was expecting the arrow to be set when Team B received the ball for the FT, meaning Team A gets the ball to start the game AND the arrow. This is more fair, but is not the ruling I was expecting.
If the ball will remain live if the FT is missed, then set the arrow when the FT starts. IF the ball will remain dead (and be followed by a throw-in as part of the penalty), then wait until the throw-in.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 01:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is this right? I was expecting the arrow to be set when Team B received the ball for the FT, meaning Team A gets the ball to start the game AND the arrow. This is more fair, but is not the ruling I was expecting.
Yes it is correct. The penalty for a technical foul is the free throws and subsequent throw-in. You don't set the arrow for free throws if the ball is not going to be live after the last free throw.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yes it is correct. The penalty for a technical foul is the free throws and subsequent throw-in. You don't set the arrow for free throws if the ball is not going to be live after the last free throw.

That makes sense. If A violates on the throw-in, B gets possession and the arrow.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all. I no longer have access to basketball rule books, so I couldn't look it up myself.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 04:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wait ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IF the ball will remain dead (and be followed by a throw-in as part of the penalty), then wait until the throw-in.
Quote:
You don't set the arrow for free throws if the ball is not going to be live after the last free throw.
Good example would be technical foul free throws to start an overtime.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 10, 2024 at 04:58pm.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 04:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Set It Now ...

Quote:
If the ball will remain live if the FT is missed, then set the arrow when the FT starts.
Good example would be a bonus free throws near the beginning of an overtime period for a common foul that occurs after the jump ball is tossed, but before the ball is touched by the jumpers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Before Control ...

Quote:
If the ball will remain live if the FT is missed, then set the arrow when the FT starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good example would be a bonus free throws near the beginning of an overtime period for a common foul that occurs after the jump ball is tossed, but before the ball is touched by the jumpers.
... or after the ball is touched by a jumper but before anybody gains control.

Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 06:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What would be different if the jumpers did touch the ball? You would still set the AP arrow when the ball is at the disposal of the free throw shooter.

And if there's an intentional, technical, or flagrant foul after the jumpers touch the ball, you wouldn't set he AP arrow until the throw-in starts, not during the free throws.

Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 07:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Thread ...

Quote:
What would be different if the jumpers did touch the ball?
Nothing, which is why I added my second post.

Quote:
... or after the ball is touched by a jumper but before anybody gains control.
Nice thread reminding us about pregame team versus pregame individual technical fouls, and when to set the arrow during such.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 10, 2024 at 03:39pm.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 07:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Rebounders ...

Quote:
And if there's an intentional, technical, or flagrant foul after the jumpers touch the ball, you wouldn't set he AP arrow until the throw-in starts, not during the free throws.
Easy way for me to remember - no rebounders.

Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 09:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Yes, it's correct. When FTs are awarded before the alternating possession arrow has been set, the arrow is set as follows:

1) When the ball will remain dead after the free throws and play will be resumed with a throw-in, the arrow is set to the non-throw-in team when the ball is at the thrower's disposal;

OR

2) When the ball will remain live after the free throws and players will be allowed to line up to attempt to rebound a missed attempt, then the arrow is set to the non-free-throwing team when the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower. (Rule 4-3)