The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 11, 2023, 10:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Throw-in spot

I'm having a brain cramp and I'm being extremely lazy.

Team B is not in the bonus. After A1 has clearly released her try, A2 clearly commits a common foul on B2 (something that can't be ignored, but is not intentional), outside three-point line above the FTLE.

A1's try is successful. Does Team B get its throw-in at the designated spot closest to the foul up along the sideline, or is the ensuing throw-in anywhere along the BC end line?

Would it matter if it were an intentional foul? (Excluding NCAA Women's from part two of this question)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 11, 2023 at 10:47pm.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Team B is not in the bonus. After A1 has clearly released her try, A2 clearly commits a common foul on B2 (something that can't be ignored, but is not intentional), outside three-point line above the FTLE.

A1's try is successful. Does Team B get its throw-in at the designated spot closest to the foul up along the sideline, or is the ensuing throw-in anywhere along the BC end line?
Throw-in to the offended team at the spot closest to where the common foul occurred. If that spot happens to be on the endline, then the throw-in can be made from anywhere along the endline. If the closest spot is not on the endline, then it's a designated spot throw-in on the sideline (in your example).

Quote:
Would it matter if it were an intentional foul? (Excluding NCAA Women's from part two of this question)
In HS, there is a difference, although it doesn't come into play in this particular example. In FED rules, the penalty for an intentional personal foul is 2 (or 3) FTs and possession of the ball for a designated spot throw-in at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

So in your play, the outcome is the same. It's a designated spot throw-in on the sideline after the FTs. However, if the basket had been successful and the foul had occurred near the endline, the offended team would get 2 FTs and a designated spot throw-in on the endline. They would not be allowed to "run the endline".

The rationale is that the intentional foul already gives the offended team two FTs, and running the endline is a "double advantage" that they shouldn't have.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The rationale is that the intentional foul already gives the offended team two FTs, and running the endline is a "double advantage" that they shouldn't have.
My rationale would be that this throw-in is not after a goal or awarded goal. The ball has already been made live after the goal was made.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 11:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
My rationale would be that this throw-in is not after a goal or awarded goal. The ball has already been made live after the goal was made.
The ball being live doesn't bear on the play. If a team has a throw-in anywhere along the endline, and releases the throw-in, but the defensive team commits a violation or a common foul before the throw-in ends, the ensuing throw-in can also be taken anywhere along the endline.

Even though the ball had already been made live following the successful goal. So your rationale doesn't seem to apply.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

A specific exception that is only due to the throw-in not being completed.

In the other, the ball had been made live for a FT (two actually). There is no intervening violation or foul to make such an exception.

This throw-in is not following a goal. It is following free throws.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 01:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
A specific exception that is only due to the throw-in not being completed..
Agreed, but I was responding to your comment that the ball became live after the goal.

I can only tell you what the NFHS said when the interpretation was made. The offended team got the advantage of shooting FTs after the intentional foul, so they don't ALSO get the advantage of running the endline.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Throw-in to the offended team at the spot closest to where the common foul occurred. If that spot happens to be on the endline, then the throw-in can be made from anywhere along the endline. If the closest spot is not on the endline, then it's a designated spot throw-in on the sideline (in your example).

In HS, there is a difference, although it doesn't come into play in this particular example. In FED rules, the penalty for an intentional personal foul is 2 (or 3) FTs and possession of the ball for a designated spot throw-in at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

So in your play, the outcome is the same. It's a designated spot throw-in on the sideline after the FTs. However, if the basket had been successful and the foul had occurred near the endline, the offended team would get 2 FTs and a designated spot throw-in on the endline. They would not be allowed to "run the endline".

The rationale is that the intentional foul already gives the offended team two FTs, and running the endline is a "double advantage" that they shouldn't have
Thanks, I vaguely remember a discussion years ago in here about the intentional foul and the rationale about not being allowed to run the end line.

The scenarios came up yesterday in a discussion amongst NCAA-W's officials who are prepping for camp. They couldn't come to a consensus for the throw-in spot for the common foul. For the intentional foul, NCAA-W go to the division line opposite table, so that part was easy. (I'm a neutral observer for a D3 conference, Men's and Women's, so I'm trying to familiarize myself with NCAA-W rules and mechanics)