Thread: Throw-in spot
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 12, 2023, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Throw-in to the offended team at the spot closest to where the common foul occurred. If that spot happens to be on the endline, then the throw-in can be made from anywhere along the endline. If the closest spot is not on the endline, then it's a designated spot throw-in on the sideline (in your example).

In HS, there is a difference, although it doesn't come into play in this particular example. In FED rules, the penalty for an intentional personal foul is 2 (or 3) FTs and possession of the ball for a designated spot throw-in at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

So in your play, the outcome is the same. It's a designated spot throw-in on the sideline after the FTs. However, if the basket had been successful and the foul had occurred near the endline, the offended team would get 2 FTs and a designated spot throw-in on the endline. They would not be allowed to "run the endline".

The rationale is that the intentional foul already gives the offended team two FTs, and running the endline is a "double advantage" that they shouldn't have
Thanks, I vaguely remember a discussion years ago in here about the intentional foul and the rationale about not being allowed to run the end line.

The scenarios came up yesterday in a discussion amongst NCAA-W's officials who are prepping for camp. They couldn't come to a consensus for the throw-in spot for the common foul. For the intentional foul, NCAA-W go to the division line opposite table, so that part was easy. (I'm a neutral observer for a D3 conference, Men's and Women's, so I'm trying to familiarize myself with NCAA-W rules and mechanics)