The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2022, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Travel

If I haven't started a dribble and jump to shoot and I see the defender is going to block my shot. Can I drop the ball to start a dribble? If I do is it a travel or double dribble? Or is it legal play? Or do I have to pass or shot once I jumped into the air lifting my pivot?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2022, 10:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Violation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
If I haven't started a dribble and jump to shoot and I see the defender is going to block my shot. Can I drop the ball to start a dribble? If I do is it a travel or double dribble? Or is it legal play? Or do I have to pass or shot once I jumped into the air lifting my pivot?
Travel.

Or, you could request a TO.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 12:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

When starting a dribble, the ball must be released from the hand before the pivot foot is lifted.

And, in fact, I believe this is the only play in which it's a travel to lift the pivot foot. In all other cases, it's not a violation until the pivot returns to the floor. (I think. . .)

Well, there are other traveling violations that don't depend on moving the pivot foot (e.g., attempting to get up from the floor). But hopefully, you get what I mean.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Airborne Player ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
When an airborne player tries for goal (or pass), sees that the try (or pass) will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mind Reading ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I believe this is the only play in which it's a travel to lift the pivot foot. In all other cases, it's not a violation until the pivot returns to the floor.
We've discussed and debated this many times here on the Forum over (at least) the past seventeen years.

By a strict literal reading of the relevant rules and definitions, Scrapper1 may be correct.

However, in a real game situation, I'm not gong to attempt to "read a player's mind" that he wanted to and intended to start a dribble.

I'll wait to see what happens next.

If the ball is next touched by a teammate, it was a bounce pass.

Or, was it?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Exception ...

Quote:
... there are other traveling violations that don't depend on moving the pivot foot (e.g., attempting to get up from the floor).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player must be holding the ball (with rare exception) in order to travel.
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 02:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oldest Trick In The Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Or, you could request a TO.
Reminds me of the Old Flamingo Play.

4.44.3 SITUATION B: A1 receives a pass and establishes the right foot as the pivot. While faking a pass or try, A1 lifts the pivot foot and stands on the left foot alone while undecided as to what to do. Has A1 traveled? RULING: No. Traveling would occur only if A1 begins a dribble or returns the pivot foot to the floor. While in this position A1 may pass, try for goal or request a time-out.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 16, 2022 at 02:20pm.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 03:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Intentional ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When an airborne player tries for goal (or pass), sees that the try (or pass) will be blocked, purposely drops the ball ...
What if it's not on purpose? What if it's a fumble?

2000-2001 NFHS Basketball Interpretations Supplement #1 Situation 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. Ruling: Traveling violation. While airborne the ball must be released for a try or pass.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 17, 2022 at 02:10pm.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 03:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Floor ...

Quote:
... there are other traveling violations that don't depend on moving the pivot foot (e.g., attempting to get up from the floor).
4-44-5: Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows: A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 16, 2022 at 03:50pm.