The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 03, 2022, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Incorrectly Answered ...

For you perusal, here are the eight most often incorrectly answered IAABO Refresher Exam "rules" questions by my local board.

Note: I got #48 and #66 incorrect.

#7 A1 attempts a pass to A2 in Team A’s backcourt. The ball hits Team B’s basket and deflects directly back to A1, who catches the ball and starts a dribble. The official rules a legal play. Is this correct?
NO, Rules 4-4-5, 4-15-1, 4-15-4 and 9-5

#11 The home (official) scorebook is taken to Team A’s locker room at halftime. The officials assess a technical foul to Team A. Is this correct?
NO, Rule 2-11-11, casebook situation 2-11-11

#14 During a designated spot throw-in, thrower A1 passes the ball to A2. While out of bounds, A1 takes several steps laterally and then enters the playing court. Upon entry, A1 receives a pass from A2. The official rules a legal play. Is the official correct?
NO, Rule 10-4-2

#41 Both teams are in the bonus. While A1 is dribbling, B1 tips the ball away. During the scramble for the loose ball, A1 pushes B1 and is charged with a common foul. The official awards B1 a bonus free throw. Is this
correct?
NO, Rules 4-19-7, 4-12-3, 4- 12-4

#48 With 4 minutes remaining in the quarter, A1, in the backcourt, throws a pass toward A5 in the frontcourt. The pass hits the ring and rebounds, untouched, back to A1 in the backcourt. The officials allow play to continue. Is this correct?
NO, Rule 4-12-3, 9-9-2

#64 The alternating possession arrow is pointing towards Team B’s basket, when A1 drives into the lane collides with B3 while dribbling the ball. One official signals a block and the other signals a player-control foul. The officials rule a double foul and award the ball to Team A on the end line. Is this correct?
YES, Rules 4-19-8a, 4-36-1, 4-36-2a

#66 B1 is directly behind A1,who receives the ball in the low post. As A1 turns to try for a goal, B1’s hands and arms extend vertically in a slightly downward (note: my exam said "forward") position. A1’s arm contacts B1’s arms. The official rules
a foul on B1. Is the official correct?
NO, Rules 4-24-1, 4-45-3

#69 During A1’s 2nd free throw attempt, A2 commits a violation by crossing the 3-pt arc near the free throw line extended. Team B is awarded the ball on the end line for a designated spot throw-in. Is this correct?
NO, Rule 7-5-2c

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 03, 2022 at 03:52pm.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2022, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

7. IAABO is incorrect
11. While prohibited by rule, there is no penalty listed.
14. I’m shocked that people in your Board think this action is legal.
41. The confusion is due to the NCAA. A few years ago, during the men’s tourney the officials missed so many of these team control fouls that the NCAA changed the rule the next year to award FTs. We noted several of these wrongly awarded FTs during that tourney on this forum.
48. Not a practical question because on the court everyone is going to deem this a try for goal. Use the test to train for on-court performance not silly definitional quirks in the rules! Poor question by IAABO here.
64. Your Board members need to learn the POI rule. They shouldn’t be missing this one.
66. The question states the arms are held vertically. That’s the important general info. Don’t get nit-picky and distracted by the rest of the words.
69. Throw-in is at the nearest spot to the location of the violation. Why are people missing this?
Old Sat Dec 03, 2022, 03:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rocket Ship Diagram ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
69. Throw-in is at the nearest spot to the location of the violation.

The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle

Actually looks more like a badminton birdie (or shuttlecock).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 03, 2022, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Blarge ...

Quote:
64. Your Board members need to learn the POI rule. They shouldn’t be missing this one.
Agree.

While the rule language is very complex, the caseplay makes everything quite clear, and has become famous as the "blarge" play, and is the reason why we avoid giving preliminary signals on double whistles.

4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official rules a blocking foul on B1 and the other official rules a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful. RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 03, 2022 at 04:09pm.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2022, 04:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:
Throw-in is at the nearest spot to the location of the violation. Why are people missing this?
Because many "follow the bouncing ball", putting the ball in play where the ball was, not where the violation or foul occurred.

If ball is at the wing near the sideline, and a screening foul occurs on the low post on the other side of the court, many want to put the ball in play on the sideline near where the ball was, not on the endline near the foul.

If ball is at the wing near the sideline, and a three second violation occurs in the lane (where else) many want to put the ball in play on the sideline near where the ball was, not on the endline near where the three second violation occurred.

Of course, the time to "follow the bouncing ball" is for a double foul. Ball at wing near sideline, double foul down low between two post players, put the ball in play on the sideline near where the ball was, at the piont of interruption.

Old Sun Dec 04, 2022, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because many "follow the bouncing ball", putting the ball in play where the ball was, not where the violation or foul occurred.
Regarding the teammate's violation of crossing the 3pt line during a FT: I can tell you that from observation, the Old Lead/New Trail would have to leave their location on the end line and move to the proper spot to administer the throw-in. Whether caused by laziness, to "save steps" (perhaps a crew of 2), or just misinterpretation isn't always known.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2022, 02:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Know The Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Whether caused by laziness, to "save steps", or just misinterpretation isn't always known.
Worked a middle school game with a subvarsity (not brand new) official last year. As the trail, I was watching a ball handler and an opponent defender in front of the bench near the twenty-eight foot line. My partner, the lead, calls a three second violation.

After he sounded his whistle he began to sprint (he was planning to cross the basket line) to where the ball was (near me) to administer the throwin. I gave him the stop sign, rolled him the ball, and pointed him back to the lane area. We discussed it after the game.

He wasn't being lazy, he didn't misinterpret anything, he just didn't know the rule.

7-5: Throw-Ins
Art. 2 Designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in nearest the violation.
Art. 4 Designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in nearest the foul.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 04, 2022 at 03:18pm.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2022, 03:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throwin Spot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
... laziness, to "save steps" ...
Every single pregame I have includes: Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds, or where the foul, or the violation, occurs.

If the lead has to move across the lane to administer a throwin on the opposite free throw lane line extended, I don't mind moving across the basket line as the trail.

And as the lead, I will pick the throwin spot where, by rule, it's supposed to be, even if it means sending my trail partner across the basket line.

That's for IAABO board commissioner assigned interscholastic games.

Now back when I was working recreation, travel, etc., with double and triple headers, it was generally deemed acceptable as the lead to bounce the ball across the lane to administer throwins, thus avoiding a need for the trail to move across the basket line. Sometimes the lead "cheated" by inbounding on the "wrong" side of the lane. Keeps the game moving. Same thing for the twenty years I worked a Catholic middle school league double headers where the otherwise strict assigner allowed us to use "relaxed" mechanics.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 05, 2022 at 12:53pm.