The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

For me it was this one simply because I didn't understand what I was being asked for for a long time:
Pitcher-Why didn't you call him out?
Me-Who?
P-Guy on 3rd.
Me-For what?
P-Bunting.
Me-Excuse me, did you say bunting?
P-Yeah, he didn't take a full swing.
Me-The guy who hit the ball past your left fielder for a triple?
P-Yeah, if he doesn't take a full swing, he should be out for bunting.
Me-Well, that would be my partner's call but I'd be hard pressed to call a ball that went 270' a bunt.
P- Well, keep an eye out for it next time.
Me thinking to myself- God help us if we're in the way when this guy takes a swing if he "bunts" 270'.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Wink

I assume he finally released your leg?
mick
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
mick
I swear to God, he was serious. It was the same night that I had a guy get bent out of shape because R1 bumped into F4 on a double play that the defense turned for the 3rd out. He was upset that I wasn't calling something for the bump. I told him that there is nothing for me to call as they turned the double play, there are 3 outs and there was nothing that could be considered a collision. After the game was over he was still on my case and I had to remind him that he could still be ejected before he left. Full moon, aliens, I don't know. Jim

[Edited by ChampaignBlue on Apr 11th, 2003 at 04:37 PM]
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question Choice 1

In a game with a home run limit, the batter hits a ball into the poorly lighted left field corner, the fielder goes back and reaches for the ball, and it goes over the fence. Neither umpire could tell if the ball was touched by the fielder. If not, the batter is out for excess home runs. If touched, it's a four base award which does not count for the home run limit.
Umpiring principles say (1) never guess an out and (2) never guess something you didn't see, like the ball touching the fielder.
Which takes precedence, in other words, how would you rule?
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Choice 2

Runners on base, batter hits towering fly ball down the left field line. I get down the line, watch the ball right near the line disappear above the lights into the fog and then hear it hit the trees, never to be seen again. No way to tell if home run or foul ball.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Re: Choice 1

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
In a game with a home run limit, the batter hits a ball into the poorly lighted left field corner, the fielder goes back and reaches for the ball, and it goes over the fence. Neither umpire could tell if the ball was touched by the fielder. If not, the batter is out for excess home runs. If touched, it's a four base award which does not count for the home run limit.
Umpiring principles say (1) never guess an out and (2) never guess something you didn't see, like the ball touching the fielder.
CecilOne,
Looks like an out from here.
With improper lighting, or improper chalk, we can only do what we can do.
mick
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

Re: Choice 2

Quote:
Runners on base, batter hits towering fly ball down the left field line. I get down the line, watch the ball right near the line disappear above the lights into the fog and then hear it hit the trees, never to be seen again. No way to tell if home run or foul ball.
CecilOne,
Looks foul from here.
mick
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

As for the cretin who wanted a bunt to be called, ask him whether a ball that goes 270 feet is "a ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield."
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
As for the cretin who wanted a bunt to be called, ask him whether a ball that goes 270 feet is "a ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield."
Cretin is a good description, with the added benefit of not being obscene.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Choice 1

Quote:
You wouldn't be guessing an out as your ruling only involves whether the ball was touched or not. The rule book is the culprit insisting on the out
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
mick
I swear to God, he was serious.
[Edited by ChampaignBlue on Apr 11th, 2003 at 04:37 PM]
I hear that quite a bit. One time had a left-handed batter (SP)that took a slow slap and punched the ball just between F5 & F6. Coach came flying out of the dugout insisting I call the batter out. I asked the coach why. He told me because he didn't take a full swing and that should be an out.

I pointed out there was no rule against it. Coach said he could do that all night and never be put out. I pulled out my line-up card and told him if that was true, he should be in the game instead of coaching and asked him where he wanted to bat.

Just got a funny look and didn't hear from him the rest of the night.