The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2022, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-W Stanford Excessive Timeout

I seem to recall a few years back that there was a certain contingent on this forum that advocated for ignoring excessive timeout requests under the guise of "good game management."

Fortunately, this crew did NOT do that in this game.

Old Mon Nov 21, 2022, 03:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ouch !!!

10-2-3 Team Technical:Request an excess time-out.

In a high school game they are granted the requested timeout (sixty seconds or thirty seconds), a team technical foul, two free throws by opponents best free throw shooter(s), and opponents get the ball at the division line opposite the table.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 21, 2022, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cannot ignore it, she turned to the officials and clearly signaled. She made that one easy for them.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 21, 2022, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Cannot ignore it, she turned to the officials and clearly signaled. She made that one easy for them.

Peace
At least it wasn't in the NCAA Title Game (as a Michigan Fan I still hate that entire sequence).
Old Tue Nov 22, 2022, 09:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Game Clock ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In a high school game they are granted the requested timeout (sixty seconds or thirty seconds), a team technical foul, two free throws by opponents best free throw shooter(s), and opponents get the ball at the division line opposite the table.
... In a high school game one probably wants to reset the game clock to 4.1 seconds if one has definite knowledge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 22, 2022 at 01:42pm.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2022, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Poor Communication ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
At least it wasn't in the NCAA Title Game ... Michigan ...
Watched it live on television. I couldn't believe that the coaching staff and players had such poor communication.

I don't know NCAA rules, but if it happened in a high school game, I hope the official informed the head coach that it was his last timeout.

This single situation really had an impact on high school me. They request? The request is granted. No game management "games". No ignoring or pretending not to hear or see the request. No, "Are you sure?".

The only thought process for me is the "normal" thought process. Dead ball or team requesting have player control? If bench personnel, is it the head coach?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 23, 2022 at 02:03pm.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 12:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Put me in the game management camp. It wasn't possible in this case, because the player's signal was obvious to everyone. But if I'm standing next to the coach and he/she asks for the time-out, I'm definitely saying, "You don't have any." If they really want it and ask again, then I'll grant it.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Put me in the game management camp. It wasn't possible in this case, because the player's signal was obvious to everyone. But if I'm standing next to the coach and he/she asks for the time-out, I'm definitely saying, "You don't have any." If they really want it and ask again, then I'll grant it.
The problem is that some people think it's "good game management" to *always* ignore the first request when a team is out of TOs. Or to play this reasoning to *every* other situation. And, some think it's *always* "the rule is the rule and must be enforced, period."

The truth is in between -- and exactly where in-between will differ based on the official, the area, and the specific game.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 02:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Local ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The truth is in between -- and exactly where in-between will differ based on the official, the area, and the specific game.
When in Rome ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 23, 2022 at 03:09pm.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 02:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Intention ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I've had many, many partners over the years tell me, "No more timeouts for ...".

In fact, I always do the same thing myself.

While I'm fairly certain that most are telling me this to let me know that another timeout will lead to a technical foul (my purpose for telling a partner), I get the sneaking suspicion that a few are telling me this to let me know that I may want to be prepared to "ignore" or "question" such requests.

Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Our Job ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
"You don't have any."
Didn't an official just say something very similar a few moments earlier in the game?

2-7-12: Officials’ General Duties: The officials must conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes: Notifying the head coach when a team is granted its final allowable time-out.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 23, 2022 at 06:31pm.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have not yet encountered that situation in my games. If I do, I will tell the coach when his team has used its final timeout. If there is then another request from that team, I will grant it, but at the cost of a technical foul.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 03:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I have not yet encountered that situation in my games. If I do, I will tell the coach when his team has used its final timeout. If there is then another request from that team, I will grant it, but at the cost of a technical foul.
As bob jenkins alluded to earlier, when in Rome ...

Old Thu Nov 24, 2022, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
You have never had a game in which a team used all of its time-outs and you had to inform the HC that they were now out? Given how long you have been on this forum, I cannot believe that.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2022, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I have not encountered a situation where a team used a timeout it did not have.