The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 18, 2022, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

A novel 3 point "try for goal" preliminary mechanic?

Recently worked in what the sponsors called an "Exposure tournament" for rising HS seniors to display their skills to "interested parties"; the refs were from different regions. When marking a 3 point try for goal, I observed one of my partners to consistently do the following: use the normal raised one arm at approximately 90 degree angle with fingers of three; however, the other arm was placed diagonally across her chest with the palm coming to rest in a "pledge of allegiance" fashion!

The consistency with which she displayed this rather elegant pose when marking the 3 point try indicated to me that this was a common practice from wherever she was from; or a preferred practice of her's, or maybe it has a functional role.

Anyone else seen this mechanic, and, is it kosher?

Thanks.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Aug 18, 2022 at 09:08pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Fri Aug 19, 2022, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Bit odd though, probably not something that would get critiqued on outside of camps perhaps. Worst thing ive seen for 3 pt made basket is a crew doing "raise the roof"
Old Fri Aug 19, 2022, 09:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Was it a mechanic or just a personal quirk? Sounds like a personal quirk. Otherwise, it means nothing.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 19, 2022, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of referees bring their non-signaling arm ("activator arm") across their chest when making a signal with the other arm.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2022, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Recently worked in what the sponsors called an "Exposure tournament" for rising HS seniors to display their skills to "interested parties"; the refs were from different regions. When marking a 3 point try for goal, I observed one of my partners to consistently do the following: use the normal raised one arm at approximately 90 degree angle with fingers of three; however, the other arm was placed diagonally across her chest with the palm coming to rest in a "pledge of allegiance" fashion!

The consistency with which she displayed this rather elegant pose when marking the 3 point try indicated to me that this was a common practice from wherever she was from; or a preferred practice of her's, or maybe it has a functional role.

Anyone else seen this mechanic, and, is it kosher?

Thanks.
The standard mechanic for a 3-pointer is raising an arm with 3 fingers at a 45° angle (NCAA men's mechanics say to raise the arm at 2 o'clock (right) or 10 o'clock (left)). 90°, i.e. straight up, is the NCAA women's and NBA mechanic.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2022, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Point Attempt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The standard mechanic for a 3-pointer is raising an arm with 3 fingers at a 45° angle (NCAA men's mechanics say to raise the arm at 2 o'clock (right) or 10 o'clock (left)). 90°, i.e. straight up, is the NCAA women's and NBA mechanic.
NFHS signal seems higher than 45°:

IAABO signal is closer to 45°, described as "top of head level":

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Aug 20, 2022, 08:54am
Do not give a damn!!

And if I mention this to someone I have nothing else better to mention to them and try to nitpick something about them (which might be justified). The main thing I have heard is do you give the "OK signal" verse a straight open palm.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 21, 2022, 12:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And if I mention this to someone I have nothing else better to mention to them and try to nitpick something about them (which might be justified). The main thing I have heard is do you give the "OK signal" verse a straight open palm.

Peace

I agree with you 100% chance.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
A lot of referees bring their non-signaling arm ("activator arm") across their chest when making a signal with the other arm.
Really? It was my first time ever seeing the such! so not sure what you mean by "lots of refs'?
But hay thanks for also a new term " activator arm" , quite descriptive.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
No intention to "not pick" anything that my ref peers do, I just asking about that "pledge of allegiance" pose with her non-signaling arm/hand when marking the 3? ,That mechanic was novel to me;however, far be it for me to give any unsolicited critique of my ref peer.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Bit odd though, probably not something that would get critiqued on outside of camps perhaps. Worst thing ive seen for 3 pt made basket is a crew doing "raise the roof"

Really? You mean that after the made 3 the refs actually , and in unison, displayed that sign/meta-dance? WTHay?! Too funny.

That ranks up there with the " double whistle'' on an add-ones type of plays when refs pops a first whistle for the contact on shooter, then pops a second whistle when the ball goes in! Lol.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Mon Aug 22, 2022 at 12:49am.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? You mean that after the made 3 the refs actually , and in unison, displayed that sign/meta-dance? WTHay?! Too funny.

That ranks up there with the " double whistle'' on an add-ones type of plays when refs pops a first whistle for the contact on shooter, then pops a second whistle when the ball goes in! Lol.

To be fair they didn't do the pumping of the arms... just had their palms facing the cieling.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
To be fair they... just had their palms facing the cieling.
That's about as unusual as some of my peers who go palms (and arms) forward, making it look like they're surrendering [insert WW2 France joke].
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
That's about as unusual as some of my peers who go palms (and arms) forward, making it look like they're surrendering [insert WW2 France joke].
*Do you mean that is how they've marked the 3 ? By displaying such hand&arm motions? Wow, that's even more non-traditional!

Huahh @ the French Resistance, vie eternale!
Old Mon Aug 22, 2022, 07:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No intention to "not pick" anything that my ref peers do, I just asking about that "pledge of allegiance" pose with her non-signaling arm/hand when marking the 3? ,That mechanic was novel to me;however, far be it for me to give any unsolicited critique of my ref peer.
All I was saying was it was likely a personal thing that official does. If you watch enough film on yourself, we all do something that might look wonky if we evaluated it that deep. I know I have and why I changed some things on purpose.

Peace