The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Why does the UIL do this? I'm surprised that they would actively tell officials to not enforce uniform rules, considering those are an NFHS point of emphasis (and the UIL is an NFHS member).
I've been told that it is supposed to be a showcase of talent and that they do not want to tell a player (or team) that they can't play because it is such a meaningful game. Since ultimately most uniform rules have no impact on who scores the most points they choose not to worry about them. Also, it seems that the State tournament is a UIL event that uses NFHS rules rather than an NFHS sanctioned event.

Additionally, we have our "Texas exceptions" for things like mechanics so I guess there is no reason why we can't have Texas exceptions to some of the rules.

I don't like it because we are told by our association all season that not enforcing these rules could impact our being chosen to work the State games but then they don't enforce it.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. That is hypocritical on UIL's part.
I would enforce the rules, and then let the chips fall where they may. I doubt that the UIL would pull an official right in the middle of a game. I might not get invited back to a state tournament, but I'll at least have done it once.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 04:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I agree. That is hypocritical on UIL's part.
I would enforce the rules, and then let the chips fall where they may. I doubt that the UIL would pull an official right in the middle of a game. I might not get invited back to a state tournament, but I'll at least have done it once.
If the governing body says not to enforce a certain uniform rule then you don't enforce it. Don't be a renegade, don't be a martyr. It would not be good for your career to be known as an official who cannot adjust.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 05:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Say Never, Never Say Always ...

Quote:
I doubt that the UIL would pull an official right in the middle of a game.
https://www.montgomeryindependent.co...79aec5a44.html
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If the governing body says not to enforce a certain uniform rule then you don't enforce it. Don't be a renegade, don't be a martyr. It would not be good for your career to be known as an official who cannot adjust.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The only thing I'd add is if that is the expectation at the tourney, they should communicate it as the expectation all season. If they're going to modify/waive rules, do it consistently.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2022, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Send In The Clowns (Frank Sinatra, 1973) ...

While many us can debate the merits of the various NFHS Fashion Police rules, it's too bad that a high school state tournament game has to look like child's recreation league practice on a weeknight in a local elementary school cafeteria/auditorium/gymnasium with a tile floor.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 28, 2022 at 06:16pm.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2022, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

That makes sense. By selective enforcement of the fashion rules, the UIL has turned the Texas basketball state championships into a clown show.

The uniform rules are there for a reason, to identify one team from another and to make sure each player has legible numbers. That is why I would have issued a technical foul to the team with dark blue jerseys, black borders, and shadow dark blue numbers. The spirit of the uniform rules is broken (the numbers are illegible), thus the uniforms are illegal per the God rule (Rule 2-3).
Old Mon Mar 28, 2022, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That makes sense. By selective enforcement of the fashion rules, the UIL has turned the Texas basketball state championships into a clown show.

The uniform rules are there for a reason, to identify one team from another and to make sure each player has legible numbers. That is why I would have issued a technical foul to the team with dark blue jerseys, black borders, and shadow dark blue numbers. The spirit of the uniform rules is broken (the numbers are illegible), thus the uniforms are illegal per the God rule (Rule 2-3).
We already have a rule to address uniforms. We have very specific things that can be worn and this jersey is legal at this moment and will be illegal in a few years. So you are arbitrarily taking what you feel is right and giving a penalty to something that is already directly addressed.

Again not a very good career move if you ask me. The supervisor has to be able to support you in the usage of a rule. What you are suggesting is a personal opinion about a very specific rule and requirement.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2022, 02:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Opinion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We have very specific things that can be worn and this jersey is legal at this moment and will be illegal in a few years.
Agree. The decision that the color of the border, dark blue, contrasts, or doesn't contrast, with the color of the number and jersey, black, is an opinion. This team was apparently allowed to previously wear these jerseys in several regular season road games. Based on a unilateral opinion, I will not be starting a state tournament game with a technical foul.

But I will not ignore. I will report the situation to my assigner after the game. It's up to him if he wants to bump up the issue, or not bump up the issue, to the state association.

Old Mon Mar 28, 2022, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. The decision that the color of the border, dark blue, contrasts, or doesn't contrast, with the color of the number and jersey, black, is an opinion. This team was apparently allowed to previously wear these jerseys in several regular season road games. Based on a unilateral opinion, I will not be starting a state tournament game with a technical foul.

But I will not ignore. I will report the situation to my assigner after the game. It's up to him if he wants to bump up the issue, or not bump up the issue, to the state association.
If you want to address a difficult situation to the people that are above you, no issue. But we have rules that do not really clearly address this as a Technical foul. That is really my only point.

Peace