The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 10:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Rules Are Changed ...

Observed two of my friends in the state tournament last night. This is what they had to deal with (sorry about the blurred photo). Black numbers with a thin blue border on a black jersey.

NFHS 2019-20 Rule Change (3-4-3-E-2) Contrasting Number: The color of the number cannot be the same color as the body of the jersey, though bordered by a contrasting color, because it is difficult to see (Effective 2024-25).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 09, 2022 at 12:28pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

That is illegal even under the current rules.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Clearly Visible ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That is illegal even under the current rules.
"Clearly visible"?

3-4-3-E: Numbers must adhere to the following: The style of the number must be clearly visible and conform to one of the following:
1. A solid contrasting color with no more than two solid color ¼-inch borders around the entire number. If the team jersey color is used as a border, it must be counted as one of the allowed colors.
2. The team jersey color itself when bordered with not more than two ¼-inch solid border(s) contrasting with the team jersey color.
3. A solid contrasting color with a “shadow” trim of a contrasting color on part of the number not to exceed ½ inch in width and may be used with one 1/4-inch border.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Observed two of my friends in the state tournament last night. This is what they had to deal with (sorry about the blurred photo). Black numbers with a thin blue border on a black jersey.

NFHS 2019-20 Rule Change (3-4-3-E-2) Contrasting Number: The color of the number cannot be the same color as the body of the jersey, though bordered by a contrasting color, because it is difficult to see (Effective 2024-25).
I would not allow a team to play with those jerseys, because I can't tell what the number is. They would have to provide a different set of jerseys (or the home team could lend them a set of legal dark-colored jerseys) for the game to start. This is allowed under Rule 2-3.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I would not allow a team to play with those jerseys, because I can't tell what the number is. They would have to provide a different set of jerseys (or the home team could lend them a set of legal dark-colored jerseys) for the game to start. This is allowed under Rule 2-3.
You are forfeiting the game? Because what if they do not have other jerseys? Isn't there a remedy for this already?

Peace
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Remedy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are forfeiting the game? Because what if they do not have other jerseys? Isn't there a remedy for this already?
No forfeit. Direct technical foul to the head coach (if one so desires).

10-6-4: The head coach must not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform

Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Clearly visible"?

3-4-3-E: Numbers must adhere to the following: The style of the number must be clearly visible and conform to one of the following:
1. A solid contrasting color with no more than two solid color ¼-inch borders around the entire number. If the team jersey color is used as a border, it must be counted as one of the allowed colors.
2. The team jersey color itself when bordered with not more than two ¼-inch solid border(s) contrasting with the team jersey color.
3. A solid contrasting color with a “shadow” trim of a contrasting color on part of the number not to exceed ½ inch in width and may be used with one 1/4-inch border.
Right rule. Wrong reference.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good For The Goose, Good For The Gander ...

Here are their home uniforms, white numbers with a blue border on white jerseys. Much easier to see the numbers compared to their road uniforms, but will definitely be illegal in 2024-25.

Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No forfeit. Direct technical foul to the head coach (if one so desires).

10-6-4: The head coach must not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform
It's not an Illegal uniform until 2024-25 season.
I saw teams in my area with Black uniforms with Black numbers and a thin Orange border around the number.
Oh Well.....
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pantone Color Chart ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Right rule. Wrong reference.
Blue doesn't contrast enough with black? Let me whip out my official NFHS Pantone color chart.

Sorry, wrong chart.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 09, 2022 at 12:07pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
It's not an Illegal uniform until 2024-25 season.
Not according to bob jenkins.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 09, 2022 at 12:27pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I have provided several solutions. They could also play in a set of PE pinnies, as long as the numbers contrast with the body color of the jerseys. If the home team has the issue, I would ask them to get an older set of uniforms that have contrasting numbers, or else light-colored PE pinnies. If the practice jerseys have numbers, we could use those as well.

I would make sure that both teams have legal uniforms. If legal uniforms cannot be secured, the coach gets a technical foul.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Play Ball ...

Quote:
If legal uniforms cannot be secured, the coach gets a technical foul.
That's your remedy (if you so desire). Play ball.

Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contrast ...

Quote:
... the numbers contrast with the body color of the jerseys ...
Not necessarily so in 2021-22. One has to factor in the border (it must contrast with the jersey color if the number color is the same as the jersey color). See my "home jersey" post and photo above (legal in 2021-22, blue border definitely contrasts with white number and white jersey).

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 09, 2022 at 02:43pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Uniforms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvz_eMDYuwc