The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

The home jerseys are legal by current standards, but the away jerseys are not, because there is no clear visible contrast between the borders and the jersey body color. If the coach attempted to have the team play with the away jerseys, and there were no other dark jerseys that could work, he's getting T'd for illegal uniforms.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

The state tournament should not be the first time this issue is being raised. And, maybe the team has a waiver from the state.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kick The Can ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The state tournament should not be the first time this issue is being raised. And, maybe the team has a waiver from the state.
Both teams were from outside our local area. My two friends didn't even broach the subject with the coaches (so no information to offer about a possible waiver), figuring that, over ten-plus road games, some out of area officials must have, at least, questioned the jersey and number color combination. They did however (pregame on the court) discuss that this color combination would be illegal in a few years.

Road team lost at the buzzer, so they won't be causing any more headaches this year. Next year? Who knows?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 09, 2022 at 04:08pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Real Game Situation ...

Let's make this a realistic, real game, situation; not a rulebook, written exam situation.

One notices these black on black blue border road jerseys in the layup lines. It's a varsity 2021-22 mid-season regular season game in your local area. We'll assume that offending team doesn't have replacement jerseys, and we'll also assume that one knows and agrees with bob jenkin's interpretation. You have not received any prior knowledge of this situation. It was a total surprise. You're the referee. Your partner doesn't know if the ball is inflated or stuffed.

Do you?

1) Charge the offending head coach with a direct technical foul for illegal uniforms, two free throws to the offended team's best free throw shooter, seat belt to the offending head coach, start game with offending team throwin.

2) Discuss with the offending team head coach (and only this coach) the possibility that these my be illegal uniforms, do not charge a technical foul, tell the coach that you will contact your assigner, and that his athletic director should contact the state association, start the game as usual.

3) Discuss with both head coaches the possibility that these my be illegal uniforms and leave it up the offended head coach as how the game should progress. Tell the offending coach (no matter what) that you will contact your assigner, and that his athletic director should contact the state association.

4) Totally ignore the situation as if it never happened.

5) Ignore because one disagrees with bob jenkin's interpretation, worry about it in 2024-25.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 19, 2022 at 01:12pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2022, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I have provided several solutions. They could also play in a set of PE pinnies, as long as the numbers contrast with the body color of the jerseys. If the home team has the issue, I would ask them to get an older set of uniforms that have contrasting numbers, or else light-colored PE pinnies. If the practice jerseys have numbers, we could use those as well.

I would make sure that both teams have legal uniforms. If legal uniforms cannot be secured, the coach gets a technical foul.

I’m not sure I would love being your assigner.

I’m sure you’re a wonderful person, but on the court your apparent inability to find the gray between the black and white must be utterly confounding at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 13, 2022, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Answered ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One notices these black on black blue border road jerseys in the layup lines. It's a varsity 2021-22 mid-season regular season game in your local area. We'll assume that offending team doesn't have replacement jerseys, and we'll also assume that one knows and agrees with bob jenkin's interpretation. You have not received any prior knowledge of this situation. It was a total surprise. You're the referee. Your partner doesn't know if the ball is inflated or stuffed.
Do you?
1) Charge the offending head coach with a direct technical foul for illegal uniforms, two free throws to the offended team's best free throw shooter, seat belt to the offending head coach, start game with offending team throwin.
2) Discuss with the offending team head coach (and only this coach) the possibility that these my be illegal uniforms, do not charge a technical foul, tell the coach the you will contact your assigner, and that his athletic director should contact the state association, start the game as usual.
3) Discuss with both head coaches the possibility that these my be illegal uniforms and leave it up the offended head coach as how the game should progress. Tell the offending coach the you will contact your assigner, and that his athletic director should contact the state association.
5) Ignore because one disagrees with bob jenkin's interpretation, worry about it in 2024-25.
These are not rhetorical questions.

I'm likely going with door number two.

Anybody else care to share?

I think we already know lyazhito's answer.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 13, 2022 at 03:33pm.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2022, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I would ask the offended team if they have dark jerseys. If they have legal dark jerseys, we play and report the game to the assigner. If not, then I will go with option 1. At least I won't get in trouble with the chain of command for following the rules. If I have to write things up, I will say that I have pursued and exhausted all options to allow the teams to play legally before I had to resort to the rulebook solution for illegal uniforms. I cannot allow the game to be played without sanction if I am unable to identify the players on the court.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2022, 02:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contrasting Colors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
At least I won't get in trouble with the chain of command for following the rules.
Normally I would agree with ilyazhito's statement above, if one is to err, err on the side of the rulebook.

But this issue is not a fully black and white issue. Sure, if the was a uniform number was six, that would definitely be illegal. If this was 2024-25, the jersey in question in this thread would definitely be illegal.

But it's 2021-22. Is the color dark blue a contrasting color to black? As much as I respect bob jenkins, I'm not sure that I would charge a technical foul in a state tournament game solely based on his opinion regarding contrasting colors. Especially when these road uniforms have obviously passed the "smell test" all season long. Better to leave it up to my assigner and the state association.

Contrasting Color: A variance from a color of two steps or more in value ... on the Munsell Color Order System (hue, value, and chroma).

Is dark blue one step or two steps varied from black?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 14, 2022 at 03:01pm.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Let's make this a realistic, real game, situation; not a rulebook, written exam situation.

Do you?

2) Discuss with the offending team head coach (and only this coach) the possibility that these my be illegal uniforms, do not charge a technical foul, tell the coach that you will contact your assigner, and that his athletic director should contact the state association, start the game as usual.

3) Discuss with both head coaches the possibility that these my be illegal uniforms and leave it up the offended head coach as how the game should progress. Tell the offending coach (no matter what) that you will contact your assigner, and that his athletic director should contact the state association.

Ah, you're in test-writer mode. I caught your little trick on 1).

With that being said, unless I'm 100% sure it's a technical foul, I'm not charging a technical foul.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 03:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ignoring ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
... unless I'm 100% sure it's a technical foul, I'm not charging a technical foul.
Ignoring, or sending it up the chain of command?

Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

As a non-official, I'm not sure how to handle these matters. I can't ignore it, but I'm not confident enough to charge the technical foul.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 03:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mixed Metaphors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
As a non-official, I'm not sure how to handle these matters. I can't ignore it, but I'm not confident enough to charge the technical foul.
I'm kicking the can up the ladder.

Especially without a Munsell Color Order System Chart in my back pocket.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Rules do not apply here

One of the problems we face in Texas is that when we get to the State tournament the governing body will tell officials not to enforce the uniform rules. For instance, they will allow a player in a white uniform to wear red leggings and/or will not require all of the players to match colors for headbands, sleeves, etc.

They are the ones sanctioning the event so we have been told by our association to just go along with it since it does not affect the game play. We do it one way all season and are chastised for not enforcing these rules only to do it differently when we get to the highest level. It is very frustrating!
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
One of the problems we face in Texas is that when we get to the State tournament the governing body will tell officials not to enforce the uniform rules.
Opposite here in Connecticut. Officials who will occasionally overlook fashion issues in their regular season varsity games (but are selected by coaches to officiate the state tournament because they can officiate the hell out of a game) are told by the state association to enforce all fashion rules in the state tournament.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
One of the problems we face in Texas is that when we get to the State tournament the governing body will tell officials not to enforce the uniform rules. For instance, they will allow a player in a white uniform to wear red leggings and/or will not require all of the players to match colors for headbands, sleeves, etc.

They are the ones sanctioning the event so we have been told by our association to just go along with it since it does not affect the game play. We do it one way all season and are chastised for not enforcing these rules only to do it differently when we get to the highest level. It is very frustrating!
Why does the UIL do this? I'm surprised that they would actively tell officials to not enforce uniform rules, considering those are an NFHS point of emphasis (and the UIL is an NFHS member).