The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Definitely better than having a bulge in your pocket and then all the single moms are wondering "is that your whistle or are you just happy to see me?"
Nice post Raymond.

In ancient times, before the alternating possession arrow was invented, and before the pea-less Fox-40 whistle was invented, we used to carry an extra whistle (Acme Thunderer or Shield Trumpeter) in case the pea got stuck, or fell apart.

The cool guys that didn't use a lanyard (many in ancient times) had the extra whistle in case their whistle was spit out and stepped on.

Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 26, 2022 at 01:12pm.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's great that you have such a great memory. I don't. You must not work a lot of girls middle school games.

Post of the week nominee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Count me in the camp of using my “pocket arrow” and switching it as soon as the call is made. In that moment, my memory is fresh enough to know I’m giving the ball to the correct team, and in the unusual situation that the arrow is postponed, the mere fact that this is unusual is enough to remind me to switch it back. Never had a problem with this.

In games with a good arrow display where the table demonstrates competence, I’ll usually stop using my pocket whistle and convert to just making sure the arrow is switched after timeouts or the beginnings of periods. When it doesn’t, I address it first dead ball and/or when I run by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 10:59pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
During/after a time-out, I remind my partners and the table that we will be having an AP throw-in.

If we have something that precludes the AP throw-in, I inform the table we will not be switching the arrow after the throw-in.

Should be basic communications practices that are passed down through training.

If I have a table that appears to be on the ball, I'll give a reminder held ball signal before pointing in the direction of the throw-in coming out of the time out.

If it's a table that's more inexperienced - especially at a lower level game (namely subvarsity, middle school, or CYO) - I've been known to remind them that the throw in following the time out is for a held ball and we need to switch the arrow as appropriate.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
If I have a table that appears to be on the ball, I'll give a reminder held ball signal before pointing in the direction of the throw-in coming out of the time out.
Good technique. Nice and simple.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If it's a table that's more inexperienced - especially at a lower level game (namely subvarsity, middle school, or CYO) - I've been known to remind them that the throw in following the time out is for a held ball and we need to switch the arrow as appropriate.
I remind the table that we still have the arrow on such situations regardless of the experience of the table. I may phrase it differently, but I always do it. We're in a timeout and it easy to do to prevent any issue so why not do it?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 30, 2022 at 01:38pm.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When The Ball Is Dead, We Must Be Alive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Held ball under H's basket. Arrow points other way. V-Coach calls full timeout. I thought to myself at the time ... "They are going to forget to switch the arrow."
Quote:
If I have a table that appears to be on the ball, I'll give a reminder held ball signal before pointing in the direction of the throw-in coming out of the time out. If it's a table that's more inexperienced - especially at a lower level game (namely subvarsity, middle school, or CYO) - I've been known to remind them that the throw in following the time out is for a held ball and we need to switch the arrow as appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I reminder the table that we still have the arrow on such situations regardless of the experience of the table. I may phrase it differently, but I always do it. We're in a timeout and it easy to do to prevent any issue so why not do it?
Thanks to Stat-Man and Camron Rust for getting us back to one of the important points of the original post, the possibility of something distracting the officials and/or the table over thirty or sixty seconds that the call was a held ball, the need to "officially" change the table arrow after the throwin after the timeout, and something to be on the alert for.

Had an article published a few years ago, When The Ball Is Dead, We Must Be Alive. Unfortunately, I failed to cover this held ball/timeout situation.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1025072

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 29, 2022 at 01:14pm.