The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Monthly D1 Assigning?

I'm not a D1 official, but the change to monthly assigning at the D1 level is playing with my D2-JUCO scheduling. I've got several assignors to juggle, and the added wait time is not helping. A buddy of mine told me that D1 NCAAW is doing the same thing.

Does anyone know why they pushed it back?
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 10:10am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know if there is a "change" but there certainly seems to be some issues with schedules based on the uncertainty of protocols. So it trickles down to those assignors that have significant D1 officials on their staff at the lower levels. Schedules have the last several years that I have worked for D1 officials that are supervisors, they wait until they get their D1 officials on staff, get games. Then when they know who can or cannot work, then they release the schedules in parts. The only ones that I worked for that did not do that were not D1 officials themselves. I still do not have schedules from all my assignors. One D3 assignor gave some games out throughout the year, but stated that he would give out more when the D1 and D2 schedules were given out.

And in my case, we might have dates, but not sites until later on in the year. For example, I might know what my October and November schedules are, but will not know where I am going specifically in December through February. Then as the season goes, they drop the sites for specific dates and that from my understanding is common, even to D1 officials. One reason is supervisors might have to make changes to one or two people on the crew for conflicts or whether the game will be on TV or not. If you notice, certain officials are always on TV.

Again, COVID changed a lot of things because many did not play games at all last year. One of the JUCO leagues I worked, did not play at all last season. Another D3 league I worked, did not play as well. So much is in the air for certain programs and conferences, you have so much delay.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scholastic Assignments ...

While I can't comment on college assigning, I can comment on how we get scholastic (high school, middle school) assignments here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Before Arbiter was invented, we got our entire schedule for the season at one time, on paper, in the mail, after we had sent in our availability calendar (also by mail) to our assigner. Of course there were changes (weather, etc.) that were often phoned to us, occasionally mailed to us. Those of us that would work for other assigners (Catholic middle schools, recreation, travel, etc.) would then contact those "mini" assigners with our "open" dates.

After Arbiter was invented, our assignor decided to "trickle" out our assignments (he didn't have to rely on snail mail or phone calls anymore) so that he could easily make last minute changes (weather, matchups, etc.). Most of our guys hated this. They were used to making plans (vacations, holidays, other assigners, etc.) around their assignments, and now they had to do the reverse, making plans (vacations, holidays, other assigners etc.) early, blocking out dates on Arbiter, allowing the assigner to make assignments around blocks. We eventually got used to it. Some of the "mini" assigners (Catholic middle schools, recreation, travel, etc.) actually began using Arbiter and were able to "link" availabilities.

We now get our scholastic (high school, middle school) assignments about two weeks in advance, allowing our assigner to easily make last minute changes (weather, matchups, etc.). As JRutledge mentioned earlier, we often get to see some information (date and time of game, but not level, gender, or site) about a month in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... we might have dates, but not sites until later on in the year ...
And, of course, we have to keep our Arbiter blocks up to date, even for small stuff like a family gatherings, movie nights, poker nights, etc., or we get fined if we have to turn back an assignment because we didn't block out that date.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 01:16pm.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the record, this is not about Arbiter. Most college assigning does not even use Arbiter for their games. He was asking about the delay that is taking place because D1 has not assigned many games as they usually has. This has little to do with the software that is used.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 01:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Similar Reason ...

Quote:
He was asking about the delay that is taking place because D1 has not assigned many games as they usually has.
Could be similar to the reason why my scholastic assignor "trickles" out our assignments, so that he could easily make last minute changes, especially in this age of COVID, as was already mentioned by JRutledge.

Quote:
... some issues with schedules based on the uncertainty of protocols ... COVID changed a lot of things ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 01:14pm.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While...
All of that is of no relevance to the OPs question. All of the college officials on this forum came up through HS systems (and most are still part of one) and fully understand how HS assigning works. College assigning is completely different as college officials most always work for multiple supervisors, whether at equivalent levels or varying levels. There is a trickle down effect in college scheduling. As Jeff stated, the delays and changes to the norm are most likely related to COVID or COVID protocols that supervisors need to account for.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Could be similar to the reason why my scholastic assignor "trickles" out our assignments, so that he could easily make last minute changes, especially in this age of COVID, as was already mentioned by JRutledge.
This is really above your skies. Sorry, nothing about this has anything to do with what is happening at your local high school arena. Division 1 drives the college assigning at all levels, because many staffs at all levels of college basketball has to likely account for the officials that might be unavailable to work their games because of bigger checks and opportunities. And there were several D1 conferences that did not pick up any new officials because of COVID challenges to run camps or to they added people just to fill in or be on site if members of the staff were tested positive. The only way the high school stuff comes into play is officials like myself that still work high school will give back games when we get the college game. And honestly, assignors have to deal with that or they will lose officials. Just part of the overall process but not what the OP was about.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 02:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Above My Pay Grade ...

Quote:
This is really above your skies.
Absolutely. You college guys are way up there with Bezos, Branson, and Musk, while I'm down here with Orville and Wilbur.

Quote:
Division 1 drives the college assigning at all levels, because many staffs at all levels of college basketball has to likely account for the officials that might be unavailable to work their games because of bigger checks and opportunities.
At a lower level, similar to how most of our local officials would rather work a single high school varsity game for $100 (better game, more prestige, more money) than three recreation games at $25 each.

Of course we also have some local guys who would rather work three recreation games a short drive down the street from where they live at $25 each rather than travel 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to work a $65 subvarsity high school game.

Quote:
... the high school stuff comes into play is officials ... that still work high school will give back games when we get the college game. And honestly, assignors have to deal with that or they will lose officials.
Same here. As a former D1 official, our assigner is very understanding in that regard.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 02:37pm.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 02:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Delays And Changes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
As Jeff stated, the delays and changes to the norm are most likely related to COVID or COVID protocols that supervisors need to account for.
Agree.

Quote:
... especially in this age of COVID ...

Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Memory Like An Elephant ...

Quote:
... we get fined if we have to turn back an assignment because we didn't block out that date.
Just discovered that this, for the last two years, is no longer true.

No more fines, just an "unhappy" assigner, and we all know what that could mean.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 02:39pm.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 02:39pm
Administrator

Chuck Elias, please comment.

I just wonder if this will effect other college sports. In the past Mark, Jr., would have most of his Spring softball assignments by the end of January. I assume that Chuck Elias can give us his take on college volleyball assignments.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 02:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Absolutely. You college guys are way up there with Bezos, Branson, and Musk, while I'm down here with Orville and Wilbur.

At a lower level, similar to how most of our local officials would rather work a single high school varsity game for $100 (better game, more prestige, more money) than three recreation games at $25 each.

Of course we also have some local guys who would rather work three recreation games a short drive down the street from where they live at $25 each rather than travel 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to work a $75 subvarsity high school game.

Same here. As a former D1 official, our assigner is very understanding in that regard.
In high school, we don't have a system where if one high school supervisor wants you to work it automatically supersedes another high school supervisor. In college we do. In college, there are D1 officials who have D1 dates assigned to them without knowing what games they'll be working. Lower level assigners have to wait for their D1 heavy hitters to get their D1 dates before they can assign them D2 and D3 games. That is the delay that trickles down to the rest of us and directly ties into the OP's question And the delay in getting out D1 dates is most likely related to COVID protocols at different schools and conferences and the vaccination status of officials.

It's not about accepting a rec assignment 5 minutes from the house versus a high school varsity game 30 minutes away.

There is not always a equivalency or a correlation to what you do in your little corner of Connecticut. It is alright not to make it about your local environment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 03:23pm.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One High School Assigner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In high school, we don't have a system where if one high school supervisor wants you to work it automatically supersedes another high school supervisor ... There is not always a equivalency or a correlation to what you do in your little corner of Connecticut.
That for sure. 100% of our high school (70 high schools) varsity, junior varsity, and freshman assignments, as well as many middle school assignments, often scheduled by high school, or systemwide, athletic directors, are assigned by only one single assigner. I've never worked for more than one high school assigner at the same time. Never.

Back when I was younger and wanted to put money in the bank to prepare for three kids going to college, I often worked for three, or four, "mini" assigners (Catholic middle schools, recreation, travel, etc.). I told all of them that I would have to turn back these low level games if I got a late add on high school game. After a few years one "mini" assigner got sick of my allegiance to my high school assigner and gave me an ultimatum to show up for all of his assignments. I quit working games for him. Cost me some cash, but it was his loss.

My Catholic middle school assigner was the best. He used Arbiter and could "see" my high school schedule and my availability. And it was his rule that high school games took precedence over his Catholic middle school games, even at the last minute. Good basketball, great pay, great partners (most with high school state tournament experience, most games in the next town, or nearby towns. I left the league due to arthritis in my ankle and his retirement, but it was a great experience for over thirty years.

Here in my little sheltered corner of Connecticut, I can't imagine a system of multiple high school assigners, and/or where one high school assigner doesn't automatically supersede another high school assigner.

Always for me. Only one local high school board. Only one local high school assigner. Lower level games (Catholic middle schools, recreation, travel, etc.) always an afterthought, a "gig". No colleges.

Maybe I could get used to multiple high school assigners, but with the way my brain works it would blow my mind and I would lose sleep worrying about pissing off one of them, some of them, or all or them.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 19, 2021 at 05:05pm.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Of course we also have some local guys who would rather work three recreation games a short drive down the street from where they live at $25 each rather than travel 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to work a $65 subvarsity high school game.

In basketball, guys working college ball is often about the opportunity and resume' building than the money. So you might make more working a college game, but you might involve more travel and time away to do that game. I work in a consortium that is associated with the Big Ten (or B1G). There are people that would rather go a couple of hours to work a game because it might help them with the people that actually assign the B1G in the long run. So again, really not the same thing we were discussing here with rec games. There are always officials that will take the easy money over the larger opportunity. Nothing wrong with that but not the issue in what the OPer was saying. Or some like myself work both an NAIA league and a Division 2 League for assignors that are active D1 officials. They also are connected to the same people so if you work camps or go to training, these are the people that will help you get those opportunities. And what better way is if you work for the people that give the feedback? That is one of the reasons why there is a delay in many assignments at this time because everything trickles down in the college ranks. Honestly many officials are not working high school games or a significant amount of games that they even care what the high school assignors want. Many D1 officials I know left the high school game alone or stopped trying to chase those opportunities in that way.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 19, 2021, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing Wrong With That ...

Quote:
In basketball, guys working college ball is often about the opportunity and resume' building than the money. So you might make more working a college game, but you might involve more travel and time away to do that game ...
Same philosophy here in the high school ranks, but obviously, in an entirely different universe. If I have a choice of working a high school game 55 miles away (my longest ride, have to fight John Deere tractors for a parking space), or lower level games just down the street, I'm working the high school game every single time.

Quote:
There are always officials that will take the easy money over the larger opportunity ...
Different priorities. Maybe they see no possibility of advancement to high school varsity games. Maybe they want to stay away from board "politics", confirming games with athletic directors/site directors and partners, business casual dress codes, requirements to stay late to observe varsity games, get there early for pregame conference, check the scorebook, captains/coaches meetings, constructive criticism for other officials, etc. We have more than a few guys who pay their local board dues every year (minimum attendance at meetings, minimum effort on refresher exam, etc.) just to maintain their certification ("members in good standing") allowing them to work their low level games back in their home towns, who block every date on Arbiter with our scholastic assigner, and who never see the inside of a high school gym. Regarding their local low level games, they just want to get in, get out, and get paid, in the least amount of time, with the least amount of (often off court) effort.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that ...
Agree.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:02am.