The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Free Throw ...

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...4iI9bGoQ%3D%3D

Is this a free throw violation? Did the defensive player commit a violation on this play?

Two choices: This is a violation. This is not a violation.

My comment: This is a violation. White #14 leaves the marked lane space by breaking vertical plane of lane boundary and enters the lane before the ball is released by the shooter. White #14 also enters the free-throw semicircle before the ball touches the ring.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

It is technically a violation. Since he is the only one I would call it and stop this from being an issue this early in the game.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Checking It Twice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is technically a violation.
Barely. I had to look at the video twice to confirm my initial suspicion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Barely. I had to look at the video twice to confirm my initial suspicion.
He does cross the vertical plane. It is not just about stepping into the lane. But again I said technically a violation and because of where he is I might call it. At the very least that is a "talk to."

Peace
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Listen Or Else ...

Quote:
At the very least that is a "talk to."
"White #14. Watch the lines on free throws."

Also maybe, if convenient. "Coach. White #14 needs to watch the lines on free throws."

Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is technically a violation. Since he is the only one I would call it and stop this from being an issue this early in the game.

Peace
Quote:
"White #14. Watch the lines on free throws."

Also maybe, if convenient. "Coach. White #14 needs to watch the lines on free throws."
I can see this being addressed either way, both of which I consider appropriate for this particular play.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 06:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Considering he is next to the shooter, I might be apt to call that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I believe he violates by breaking the plane of the lane line before the release. Call this now to stop the rest of the game
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I believe he violates by having his foot on the hash mark and this should have been fixed before the FT.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gotcha ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I believe he violates by having his foot on the hash mark and this should have been fixed before the FT.
Keenly observant. Before disposal? Agree.

I do this a lot in my middle school games. Before bouncing the ball to the shooter, I'll just point to the foot of the offending player and patiently wait. Eventually either the offending player, or a teammate, or an opponent will figure it out.

Middle school coaches and players seem to appreciate my patience and willingness to not participate in a game of gotcha.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 16, 2021 at 12:35pm.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Keenly observant. Before disposal? Agree.

I do this a lot in my middle school games. Before bouncing the ball to the shooter, I'll just point to the foot of the offending player and patiently wait. Eventually either the offending player, or a teammate, or an opponent will figure it out.

Middle school coaches and players seem to appreciate my patience and willingness to not participate in a game of gotcha.
I just tell them before I administer. I see no reason to stand around with non-verbals and wait. That's at any level I work.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2021, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm What'cha Call A Middle School Basketball Officiating Expert ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I just tell them before I administer. I see no reason to stand around with non-verbals and wait.
Middle school players seem to enjoy figuring it out on their own, with the more savvy players helping out the novice players. Sometimes I'll even pretend to step on an offending foot.

Wouldn't do anything like this at any level of a high school game. Still wouldn't play gotcha, I would simply just point and say, "Line". These older high school kids know the rule, they just need a friendly reminder when they're momentarily distracted.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 17, 2021 at 03:55pm.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2021, 08:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...4iI9bGoQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a violation.

A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary. These restrictions apply until the ball is released on the free throw.

In this play, White #14 steps forward and has broken the plane while the ball is still in the hands of the free thrower. After entering the lane too soon, White #14 continues to move toward the free-throw shooter and breaks the free-throw line's plane before the ball hits the ring. Which is also a violation. (9-1-3h)

The Trail should step down toward the end line when the free throw is released and assume all normal rebounding responsibilities. While stepping down, the Trail should continue to monitor the free thrower and other players after the free thrower release the ball. (p. 101 6j,h) In situations such as this, the Trail would also be responsible for ruling on contact between the defender and the free throw shooter as it is possible that both a violation and a foul could occur. This can be a challenging play, as the Trail is also responsible for signaling to start the clock when the ball is legally touched if the ball becomes live after a missed free throw. Officials need to be aware of their responsibilities during free throw attempts and be ready to enforce the rules when fouls and violations occur by players in marked lane spaces.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a violation 75% (including me). This is a violation 25%.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 19, 2021 at 08:32am.