The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 08:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the Lead's line. The Trail should only signal if the Lead is asking for help. Similar to a ball coming from the Trail being thrown to the endline.

They seem to get this right but it could have been a disaster if both did not agree. That is why the Trail waits for an indication of help.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

New IAABO Line Responsibility Mechanic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This call is the L's call in NFHS 2 person mechanics. NFHS hasn't made any change Lead's line ... lead's call ... all the way down the line ... Much cleaner to have a line be entirely owned by one official.
Agree. The "new" IAABO line responsibility mechanic was difficult to get used to, often ends up with double whistles, and occasionally ends up with a greatly delayed whistle (as the ball sits in the coach's lap).

But as much as I hated the change (with so much intense hatred by many veterans that they refused to use the new IAABO line responsibility mechanic, and said so in their pregame), I did understand the IAABO rationale of pairing this sideline responsibility with one's primary coverage area.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shouldn't Be Looking There, No Ball Watching ...

Quote:
Is this IAABO coverage for all line coverage ... how does the T know when a player has stepped on the opposite sideline? In my experience, there is NO way the T can see that with any certainty. That line must absolutely be covered by the L to have any chance of getting the call right.
Agree. Yes, it's for all line coverage except press coverage (and I assume fast break transitions). The IAABO rationale is that the Lead, under many situations, shouldn't even be looking there (unless he's ball watching). What makes matters worse is that, half the time, the coaches often have the best look, better than either official.

While I've always disliked this "new" IAABO line responsibility mechanic, I do find myself doing less sideline above the free throw line extended ball watching as the Lead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Line Responsibility Mechanic ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Sorry, BillyMac.
Nice citation from the NFHS. I didn't realize that IAABO and the NFHS were so different. Makes for some nice discussion here on the Forum.

Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Frontcourt Endline Line Responsibilities ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Two person difficult out of bounds calls involve the front court endline opposite where the Lead is. He's responsible for out of bounds calls all the way along the entire endline, yet his primary coverage ends before the endline intersects the far sideline, that's the primary coverage area (but not the out of bounds responsibility) of the Trail. The Trail has to call a travel, or foul, an inch away from the endline there, but shouldn't call an out of bounds there if a player steps on the boundary line. This is where we often see the Lead sounding his whistle to stop the clock for out of bounds and asking for help (especially on a ball that flies out of bounds along the endline, a ball that originated from the Trail's primary coverage area).
Quote:
... know when a player has stepped on the ... line?
Quote:
Kinda weird, isn't it? Being able to call violations that close to the endline except out-of-bounds. In the NFHS manual at 4.4.1.A.2 it says that "typically an official should rule on violations in his/her PCA, but any violation observed should be ruled"
It appears that the NFHS and IAABO both have the same conflict with primary coverage areas and line responsibilities along the frontcourt endline (side opposite the Lead).

Technically, according to both the NFHS and IAABO, out of bounds is a violation (like any other violation) and should be called when it occurs in one's primary coverage area.

And yet, the frontcourt endline responsibility is solely the Lead's responsibility in both NFHS and IAABO mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is the Lead's line. The Trail should only signal if the Lead is asking for help ... a ball coming from the Trail being thrown to the endline.
Just proves that three heads are better than two.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 04:12pm.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:43am
Do not give a damn!!

This is from the NASO Mechanics Illustrated Book for 2021-2022.

Quote:
Covering boundary lines is among the most difficult tasks using a crew of two officials. By correctly placing so much emphasis on off-ball coverage for the lead, some boundary-line coverage sometimes gets sacrificed.

The NFHS manual states that in the frontcourt the lead is responsible for the sideline nearest the lead and the endline. The trail is responsible for the division line and the sideline nearest the trail. While in theory that sounds easy, the actual practice is very difficult and sacrifices off-ball coverage in the lane area.

Here’s an example. A trouble spot for two-person crews is a player who has the ball near the sideline above the free-throw line extended and opposite the trail. The trail correctly moves toward the center of the court to officiate the action on the player with the ball, such as fouls, traveling violations, etc.

The problem: The manual states that sideline is the lead’s responsibility. Well, if the lead has to look beyond the free-throw line extended to watch for a potential sideline violation and the trail has to watch for fouls, etc., who is watching the other players? No one. There are too many off-ball problems that can occur if no one is supervising those players.

Referee recommends that the trail also have opposite sideline responsibility above the free-throw line extended. Sometimes, the trail must move well beyond the center of the court to see an out-of-bounds violation. Stay deep (toward the division line) on the play to get a good angle.

Even with great hustle toward the far sideline, it is a tough look for the trail. The problem compounds if there’s a swing pass back toward the other sideline. The trail must hustle back toward that sideline to get a good look there. Staying deep gives the trail a chance.
If you teach the lead properly and even the trail properly, the lead will widen out their coverage to cover the sideline. Staying close to the lane is not what the lead should do on plays close to the sideline. Is this ideal coverage, but how in the hell does the Trail see a player stepping on the line or a close tip near the sideline (similar to the play featured). I do not like this trend if this is what Referee is recommending.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rookies, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:
I can't recall a time where a Trail ruled out of bounds along the endline, other than perhaps, a first-year official.
Agree. Working with a rookie (I'm what'cha call a working with a rookie expert, being available for mid-afternoon middle school assignments), as the Lead, I would later discuss this situation with him and "straighten" him out.

However, now, after this thread, I might rethink my constructive criticism, possibly toning down my criticism.

Also, as a member of my local board's mechanics training committee, I'm wondering if we should rethink our training methods.

Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

NASO Mechanics Illustrated ...

Quote:
This is from the NASO Mechanics Illustrated Book for 2021-2022: Covering boundary lines is among the most difficult tasks using a crew of two officials. By correctly placing so much emphasis on off-ball coverage for the lead, some boundary-line coverage sometimes gets sacrificed. The NFHS manual states that in the frontcourt the lead is responsible for the sideline nearest the lead and the endline. The trail is responsible for the division line and the sideline nearest the trail. While in theory that sounds easy, the actual practice is very difficult and sacrifices off-ball coverage in the lane area. Here’s an example. A trouble spot for two-person crews is a player who has the ball near the sideline above the free-throw line extended and opposite the trail. The trail correctly moves toward the center of the court to officiate the action on the player with the ball, such as fouls, traveling violations, etc. The problem: The manual states that sideline is the lead’s responsibility. Well, if the lead has to look beyond the free-throw line extended to watch for a potential sideline violation and the trail has to watch for fouls, etc., who is watching the other players? No one. There are too many off-ball problems that can occur if no one is supervising those players. Referee recommends that the trail also have opposite sideline responsibility above the free-throw line extended. Sometimes, the trail must move well beyond the center of the court to see an out-of-bounds violation. Stay deep (toward the division line) on the play to get a good angle. Even with great hustle toward the far sideline, it is a tough look for the trail. The problem compounds if there’s a swing pass back toward the other sideline. The trail must hustle back toward that sideline to get a good look there. Staying deep gives the trail a chance.
Great post JRutledge. Thanks. Puts all of the concerns expressed in this thread in a nutshell.

Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 10:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Heads Are Better Than One ...

Quote:
... how in the hell does the Trail see a player stepping on the line or a close tip near the sideline (similar to the play featured).
Snarky answer: Three person games.

Shooting from the hip, the best I can come up with for two person games is for both sideline responsibilities, and frontcourt endline responsibilities, to be covered as part of one's primary coverage area, and let the chips fall where they may. It may cut down on some ball watching, and out of bounds is a violation (like any other violation) that should be called when it occurs in one's primary coverage area. Tough calls can be solved by asking for help, offering help, or using the alternating possession arrow.

Or turn over the NFHS/IAABO conflict to the United Nations Security Council.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 01:08pm.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

I was always taught to have the "L" coverage. The Trail has the division line and the sideline they are on. And the Lead has the endline and the sideline they are on. Two-person coverage is flawed, so if you have it you are going to have to do things you would not need to do with a 3rd official out there. But not sure how the Trail can clearly know that the ball was knocked out on the offensive player. The Lead's positioning is also poor as he is sticking to the lane it appears. This play might not have been as bad, but if there is a play near the line and someone is stepping on the line, the Trail has no chance. The Lead has to make those kinds of calls.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two-Person Coverage Is Flawed ...

Quote:
... Two-person coverage is flawed, so if you have it you are going to have to do things you would not need to do with a 3rd official out there. But not sure how the Trail can clearly know that the ball was knocked out on the offensive player ... if there is a play near the line and someone is stepping on the line, the Trail has no chance. The Lead has to make those kinds of calls.
Agree, as does the NFHS.

The only problem is when the Lead is paying close attention to some real basketball action in his primary coverage area in the lane, maybe two post players trying to dominate each other as they fight for position, and/or screens being set at the elbows, or at the blocks. The Lead can't be ball watching looking for a ball handler to step on the sideline out near the division line.

While good officials should be always be aware of where all the players are, and where their partner is, we all know the problems that can occur with ball watching.

Quote:
While I've always disliked this "new" IAABO line responsibility mechanic, I do find myself doing less sideline above the free throw line extended ball watching as the Lead.
We IAABO guys made the old NFHS line responsibility (Lead has entire sideline) coverage work, as best as we could with two officials, back before IAABO switched (to avoid ball watching by the Lead) to a combined sideline primary coverage area and line responsibility (above/below the FT line extended). Knowing that the NFHS two person coverage (that we previously used) was flawed, IAABO just wanted to try something different, something that is also flawed. IAABO just traded one problem for a different problem.

Quote:
Two-person coverage is flawed ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 05:25pm.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 01:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Man (Neil Young, 1972) ...

Quote:
... IAABO just wanted to try something different, something that is also flawed. IAABO just traded one problem for a different problem.
As one of the few who has spent decades using both systems, I can confidently say that one system is not much better, or not much worse, than the other system. They're just different, and each has its own different problems.

And remember, I officiate in Connecticut, so not only am I familiar with both systems, but I'm also waht'cha call a two person game expert.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 01:54pm.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 01:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Snarky answer: Three person games.

Shooting from the hip, the best I can come up with for two person games is for both sideline responsibilities, and frontcourt endline responsibilities, to be covered as part of one's primary coverage area, and let the chips fall where they may. It may cut down on some ball watching, and out of bounds is a violation (like any other violation) that should be called when it occurs in one's primary coverage area. Tough calls can be solved by asking for help, offering help, or using the alternating possession arrow.

Or turn over the NFHS/IAABO conflict to the United Nations Security Council.
The Lead can watch his sideline to blow his whistle without ball watching. Need to be able to do more than one thing at a time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Walk And Chew Gum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The Lead can watch his sideline to blow his whistle without ball watching. Need to be able to do more than one thing at a time.
Why we get paid the big bucks.

Breaking News: Connecticut Game Fees for 2021-22 Season: Scrimmage Fee: $150 (3 officials $50 each, 2 officials $75 each); Varsity Fee: $101.69; Sub Varsity Fee: $65.99 (Junior Varsity, Freshmen, Middle Schools).

I used the NFHS system for decades and it can work, and sometimes work quite well, otherwise the NFHS wouldn't have stuck with it for such a long time.

Quote:
... good officials should be always be aware of where all the players are, and where their partner is ...
Quote:
I wouldn't be upset if for some reason, IAABO would switch course and go back to the NFHS system, warts and all.

Neither two person boundary line system is any where near perfect.

Quote:
Two-person coverage is flawed ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 02:21pm.
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Watching your sideline does not mean ball watching. It means being aware when the ball goes out on your sideline.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk