The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 17, 2021, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines ...

NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines
In accordance with Rule 2-14, each state association may adopt a procedure by which it implements a 35-second shot clock effective with the 2022-23 season. The following are the guidelines to be implemented for those states choosing to adopt the shot clock.

Shot-Clock Displays
A shot clock is one of the two official visible timepieces one at each end of the court.
The shot clocks shall be recessed and mounted on the backboard supports behind each backboard.
An alternate timing device or procedure shall be available when a visible shot clock malfunctions.
LED lights located around the shot clock may be used, but the lights shall only be activated for a shot-clock violation.
Nothing shall be attached to the mounting mechanisms of the shot clock that affects the visibility of the shot clock.

Game And Table Officials
A shot clock operator will be located at the scorer’s and timer’s table. It is recommended that the timer and shot clock operator be seated next to each other.

Officials' General Duties
Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). Use a silent, visible 10-second count when there is no shot clock visible.
To indicate a shot clock violation the official will give the stop clock signal followed by the tapping of the head and giving a directional signal.
To indicate a shot clock reset the official will use a rolling motion of a pointed index finger above the head.

The Shot-Clock Operator Shall:
Use a 35 second shot clock in accordance with Rule 2-14.
Use the shot clock the entire game, including extra periods, except when there is less time remaining on the game clock than on the shot clock or in cases where 5-5-3 Note has been implemented. In these cases, the shot clock shall be turned off.
Control a separate timing device with a horn that shall have a sound that is distinct and different from that of the game-clock horn.
Have an alternate timing device or procedure available in the case of failure or lack of availability of the electronic clocks.

Start the shot clock when:
A player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in; or
A team initially gains control after a jump ball or unsuccessful try for goal; or
Control of a loose ball is gained after a jump ball; or
Unsuccessful try for goal.

Stop the timing device and reset to full amount:
When team control is again established after the team loses possession of the ball. Note: The mere touching of the ball by an opponent does not start a new shot clock period with the same team remains in control of the ball.
When any of the following occur:
A single personal foul,
A single technical foul assessed to the defensive team,
During team control, a defensive player causes a held ball, and the alternating possession arrow favors the defensive team,
When a try for goal strikes the ring of flange and then possession is gained by either team,
When a violation occurs,
After a held ball occurs during a throw-in, and the alternating possession arrow favors the team that did not make the throw-in,
After a held ball occurs during after an unsuccessful try that does not contact the ring or flange, and the alternating possession arrow favors the non-shooting team,
After the ball goes out of bound and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbound or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the defensive team,
When there is an inadvertent whistle and there was no player or team control at the time of the whistle.

Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play begins under the following circumstances:
The ball is deflected out of bounds by a defensive player,
A player is injured or loses a contact lens,
A charged timeout has concluded,
During team control as defined in NFHS 4-12-1, a defensive player causes a held ball, and the alternating possession arrow favors the offensive team,
After any double personal or technical fouls or simultaneous personal or technical fouls when there is team control unless the penalty for the foul results in a change of possession,
After an inadvertent whistle when there is team control.
After any technical foul(s) is assessed to a team in control of the ball, or to the team entitled to the ball before it is at the disposal of the thrower-in, or to bench personnel,
After a held ball occurs during a throw-in, and the alternating possession arrow favors the team that made the throw-in.
After a held ball occurs during after an unsuccessful try that does not contact the ring or flange, and the alternating possession arrow favors the shooting team.
After the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbounds or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team.
Note: The offensive team, upon regaining possession of the ball for the throw-in, shall have the unexpired time on the shot clock to attempt a try.

Re-setting the shot clock not to the full shot clock amount: Reset the shot clock to 20 seconds when there is an intentionally kicked or fisted ball with less than 19 seconds on the shot clock. State associations may determine, if there are other instances where the clock is reset, but not to the full shot clock amount.

Sound the shot-clock horn at the expiration of the shot-clock period. This shot-clock horn shall not stop play unless recognized by an official’s whistle. When the shot clock indicates zeroes, the shot-clock time has expired.
Turn off the shot clock when a reset situation occurs, and the game clock shows less time than that of a shot-clock period.
Allow the timing device to continue during loose-ball situations when the offense retains control or when a field-goal try is attempted at the wrong basket or when a field-goal try has failed to hit the rim or flange.
Allow the game officials to make the final decision when there is doubt as to whether a score was made within the shot-clock period or whether a try for goal contacted the ring or flange.

Timing Errors
The officials shall make the final decision when there is doubt as to whether a score was made within the shot-clock period or whether a try for goal contacted the ring or flange.
When an obvious mistake by the shot-clock operator has occurred in failing to start, stop, set or reset the shot clock, or when a shot clock has malfunctioned, the mistake or the malfunctioning problem may be corrected in the shot-clock period in which it occurred only when the official has definite information relative to the mistake or malfunctioning problem and the time involved.

Shot Clock Violation
A shot-clock period is the period of time beginning when the ball is legally touched on a throw-in or when team control is established or re-established after loss of team control and the shot clock is properly started. The shot-clock period ends when the shot clock is properly started for the next shot-clock period.
A shot-clock try for field goal is defined as the ball having left the shooter’s hand(s) before the sounding of the shot-clock horn and then striking the ring or flange or entering the basket.
The team in control must attempt a try for a field goal, within the 35 second shot clock period.
It is a violation when a try for field goal does not leave the shooter’s hand before the expiration of the allotted shot-clock time (as indicated by the sounding of the shot-clock horn) or when it does leave the shooter’s hand before the expiration of the allotted shot-clock time and the try does not subsequently strike the ring or flange or enter the basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump (For My Love) (the Pointer Sisters, 1984) ...

Anything major differences between NFHS and NCAA shot clock guidelines jump out at anybody?

Anything major differences between NFHS and your existing state high school shot clock guidelines jump out at anybody?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 17, 2021 at 06:09pm.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

What is rule 5-5-3?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Anything major differences between NFHS and NCAA shot clock guidelines jump out at anybody?
Yes, a lot of little differences and some things not addressed in this article at all. Nothing about different times when the offense gets the ball in the FC vs the BC and retains possession after violations or even fouls. That is the biggest difference but to me, that is going a little far for a level that never used the shot clock before across the country.

But that should not matter as the NF needs to write their own procedures for a shot clock IMO. I would not worry about all the differences or interpretations at this stage.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 18, 2021, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Re-setting the shot clock not to the full shot clock amount: Reset the shot clock to 20 seconds when there is an intentionally kicked or fisted ball with less than 19 seconds on the shot clock.
So, if I'm reading this correctly: 18 resets to 20, but 19 stays at 19?
Old Sun Jul 18, 2021, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
What is rule 5-5-3?
Running clock, as established by state adoption. No shot clock during these times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
That's what it ways, but it's likely a typo. Is should say "19 or less" not "less than 19" so19 should reset to 20 (imo).

There;s also a likely typo in:
A player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in; or
A team initially gains control after a jump ball or unsuccessful try for goal; or
Control of a loose ball is gained after a jump ball; or
Unsuccessful try for goal.

That bolded part should not have a semicolon and should continue on the same line
Old Sun Jul 18, 2021, 09:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Just means that if you are lower than 20 seconds during this specific event, you reset to 20 seconds for a kicked or fisted ball violation by the defense.

I think they tried to be a little cute with the wording.

Here is the NCAA Men's Rule wording. Some of this does not apply to the NF at all.

c. Reset to 20 seconds or the time remaining (whichever is greater) when the following occurs:
1. A personal or technical foul is assessed to the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded in the front court; (Does not apply to the NF)
2. When a kicking the ball/fisting violation is committed by the defense and the ball is to be inbounded in the front court or backcourt; Note: This rule applies only when the foul or violation in 1 or 2 above occurs prior to a try for goal which hits the ring or flange.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Jul 18, 2021 at 09:41am.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2021, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8).
&
A player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in

==============================
The above does not mesh with the current NFHS rule for ten seconds in the backcourt as a tipped or deflected throw-in pass will cause the shot clock to begin prior to the establishment of control inbounds.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2021, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

“The shot clocks shall be recessed and mounted on the backboard supports behind each backboard.“

This is too restrictive. There are several gyms in my officiating area which have the shot clocks mounted on the gym walls at each end of the court. This location works just fine.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2021, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

MD and DC both use a 30-second shot clock. MD still has a visible 10-second count, but DC uses a non-visible count based on the shot clock. DC and MD have used a 30/15 shot clock, with a 15-second reset for a kicked or fisted ball in the frontcourt. Perhaps they might change it to 20 before this season, but I'll have to wait for any announcements to make sure. Many gyms have shot clocks on the walls, and portable shot clocks are common in DC, but newer gyms tend to have shot clocks that are recessed and mounted on the backboards. I have to make sure where the shot clocks are when I walk in a new gym, just to get used to it, but I'm able to pick out where they are and accurately identify issues, based on a pre-game inspection of the facility, so it's not a big deal.

Last edited by ilyazhito; Sun Jul 18, 2021 at 11:15pm.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2021, 08:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

&

The above does not mesh with the current NFHS rule for ten seconds in the backcourt as a tipped or deflected throw-in pass will cause the shot clock to begin prior to the establishment of control inbounds.
Not the first time the rules editors don't pay attention to the details.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jul 19, 2021, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
&

Well but it does fit the NCAA model of how they use the shot clock. So right, wrong or indifferent, that is exactly how the NCAA applies the rules (at the NCAA Men's level for sure).

But again this is a state-adopted rule, so if you do not use the rule, then the rest should not really matter right?

Peace
Old Mon Jul 19, 2021, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Devil Is In The Details ...

Quote:
Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8) & Start the shot clock when: A player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in. The above does not mesh with the current NFHS rule for ten seconds in the backcourt as a tipped or deflected throw-in pass will cause the shot clock to begin prior to the establishment of control inbounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not the first time the rules editors don't pay attention to the details.
Connecticut private prep schools use a stupid hybrid combination of NCAA and NFHS rules, including a shot clock for varsity games. I noticed the unintended consequence that Nevadaref noted in my prep school games while using the NCAA shot clock to "count" the NFHS 10-second backcourt rule.

Stupid Connecticut private prep school NCAA/NFHS hybrid rules.

Stupid NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 19, 2021 at 11:04am.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2021, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Love Train (The O'Jays, 1972) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... portable shot clocks ...
Probably the least expensive way for some schools in states that want to get on board the shot clock train.

Especially in "secondary" gyms (what we used to call the "girl's gym" back when I was in high school in the politically incorrect late 60's and early 70's).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 19, 2021 at 11:24am.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2021, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Connecticut private prep schools use a stupid hybrid combination of NCAA and NFHS rules, including a shot clock for varsity games. I noticed the unintended consequence that Nevadaref noted in my prep school games while using the NCAA shot clock to "count" the NFHS 10-second backcourt rule.

Stupid Connecticut private prep school NCAA/NFHS hybrid rules.

Stupid NFHS.
I do not see this as an issue or a hybrid situation. I see this if you use the shot clock then the shot clock takes over for the 10-second violation usage. Why not use the shot clock? Everyone can see it and it also makes it easier to judge. No complaining you were too fast or two long, there is a hard fast gauge to determining the timing of the count. The only issue is it must be started properly but that is the case at the college level too. But not much of an issue.

Peace