The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 28, 2021, 01:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Basket interference/goaltending is the most difficult because we don’t have the proper viewpoint from which to judge this action. We need to be up high, but are on the floor with the players.

I agree with this. I rarely look when folks post videos concerning GT/BI because there is really nothing to be learned.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2021, 01:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Surprising Unexpected Got'cha ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Basket interference/goaltending is the most difficult because we don’t have the proper viewpoint from which to judge this action.
Good point, I disagree, but if I were to agree with Nevadaref, for me, it would be a slightly different reason.

We officiate a lot of small school rural and suburban high school games here in my little corner of Connecticut, with much of the game played below the rim (half of our games are girls games), meaning we don't get a lot of experience calling basket interference/goaltending and these plays often happen in a surprising unexpected "got'cha" manner (I say to myself, shit, what just happened).

When a shot goes up, we little corner of Connecticut guys think horses, not zebras, probably making these basket interference/goaltending calls more difficult than they really should be (makes the easy look difficult).

While I've had many, many opportunities to call basket interference in my high school games over the years, I've actually only called a single goaltending violation in over forty years, and have thought about and passed on possible goaltending plays that I could count on the fingers of only two hands.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 28, 2021 at 02:05pm.
Old Sat May 01, 2021, 09:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...HLJAbBX8Sb.mp4

IAABO Play Commentary

Correct Answer: This is a legal jump stop.

Both answers are correct. This a legal jump stop, followed by a traveling violation when the player takes a step.

If a player ends a dribbler with one foot is on the floor, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case. (4-44-2.b.2)

In this play, the player ends the dribble with his right foot on the floor and jumps to two feet. This is a jump stop. However, the ball handler lifts his right foot and places it back to the floor before releasing the ball on a pass, which is a traveling violation. (4-44-3.a) Had he released the ball before the foot had returned to the floor, it would have been a legal play.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is an illegal jump stop and should have been ruled a traveling violation 56%. This is a legal jump stop 44% (including me).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 02, 2021, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

This is a bad question. As has been pointed out, it has two correct answers depending on which part of the play/move you're asking about.

Yes, the jump stop was legal, but he then traveled.