The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

I'm almost embarrassed to bring this up, I'm sure we've gone over this before - but I haven't had it happen to me for years. Partner brings this up today, and I couldn't answer him!

NCAA Rules....

A1 driving to the hoop. B1 has position. A1 goes for layup, releases ball, then crashes B1. shot goes in. I know I have a foul on A1, but do I count the hoop?

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a specific case for this in the NCAA rulebook. I believe in NFHS, it's no basket. But I can't for the life of me remember if NCAA is different.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

I'm almost embarrassed to bring this up, I'm sure we've gone over this before - but I haven't had it happen to me for years. Partner brings this up today, and I couldn't answer him!

NCAA Rules....

A1 driving to the hoop. B1 has position. A1 goes for layup, releases ball, then crashes B1. shot goes in. I know I have a foul on A1, but do I count the hoop?

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a specific case for this in the NCAA rulebook. I believe in NFHS, it's no basket. But I can't for the life of me remember if NCAA is different.
The reason is probably that there is no airborne shooter in Men's ball, just Women's ball.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

NCAA Rules....

The reason is probably that there is no airborne shooter in Men's ball, just Women's ball.
"Airborne shooter" is defined in 4-1. 4-26.8 defines "player control foul" differently for men and for women. So the foul you've described is a common foul in men's, PC foul in women's. Hence the basket would count in men's, not in women's. If B is in the bonus, you'd shoot FTs at the other end in men's, no FTs in women's.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, folks....I notice in App. V (major rules differences), it makes the distinction between NCAA Mens, Womens, and Fed. We play NCAA Mens rules, so no airborne shooter exception.

I kind of like the Fed/Womens rule, although the Mens rule does make for a more "interesting" officiating scenario.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
"Airborne shooter" is defined in 4-1. 4-26.8 defines "player control foul" differently for men and for women. So the foul you've described is a common foul in men's, PC foul in women's. Hence the basket would count in men's, not in women's. If B is in the bonus, you'd shoot FTs at the other end in men's, no FTs in women's.
And doesn't the basket count in the WNBA? I can't remember for sure, but it seems to me that it does. What about NBA?