The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With The Act Of Shooting …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...kdPgleKg%3D%3D

Was player still in act of shooting when foul occurred? Had shooter returned to the floor before the foul was committed?

Two choices: The player was in the act of shooting when fouled. The player returned to the court and was not in the act of shooting.

My comment: The player was in the act of shooting when fouled. Tough call. The act of shooting begins with the start of the try for field goal and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter. The airborne shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting. White #3 was an airborne shooter and had not yet returned to the floor (barely, by milliseconds) when she was fouled by Black #15.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Barely, By Milliseconds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Tough call ... White #3 was an airborne shooter and had not yet returned to the floor (barely, by milliseconds) when she was fouled by Black #15.
The only way that I could make this call was by watching the video at 1/4 speed (only available to IAABO members) and stopping it when White #3 returned to the floor.

At regular speed, I was leaning toward White #3 having returned to the floor and not in the act of shooting, next looking for a live ball/dead ball. The foul occurred during a live ball, the ball was still in flight. Count the basket. Since it appears that White was not in the bonus, give White the ball on the endline.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:45am
Do not give a damn!!

It looks like the arm was hit in the air. And unless obvious, I am calling a shooting foul. This a harder play in a girl's game because players do not jump as high in some of these cases. But no reason to make this complicated and then awarded the ball out of bounds or give a bonus free throw situation. It has to stand out as nothing but after the shot IMO.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:59am
Courageous When Prudent

I don't split hairs on these plays. Unless it is obvious that they have already returned to the floor, I'm considering the foul in the act of shooting.

And if she didn't hit her arm, which I haven't looked hard enough to see if she did or not, there's a possibility I wouldn't have a whistle on this play. The calling official reports a push to the table. The shooter jumps forward on this play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Apr 12, 2021 at 11:02am.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Now to address two pet peeves.

1) The old Trail/new Lead runs straight for the basketball and ignores the players on the court. Even though nothing happens, they are gathered together and he should be monitoring the players until they disperse before retrieving the basketball.

2) The reporting official has subs at the table. When he calls them in, he has his back to the Lead (administering official) and sticks his hand up facing the other end of the court. He should turn to the new Lead and stick his hand up with his palm facing his partner, then turn his head to wave in the subs while still keeping his hand up facing his partner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Foul ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... And if she didn't hit her arm, which I haven't looked hard enough to see if she did or not, there's a possibility I wouldn't have a whistle on this play.
Surprised that IAABO didn't offer a third choice - no foul.

Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Keen Observation ...

Quote:
The old Trail/new Lead runs straight for the basketball and ignores the players on the court. Even though nothing happens, they are gathered together and he should be monitoring the players until they disperse before retrieving the basketball.

The reporting official has subs at the table. When he calls them in, he has his back to the Lead (administering official) and sticks his hand up facing the other end of the court. He should turn to the new Lead and stick his hand up with his palm facing his partner, then turn his head to wave in the subs while still keeping his hand up facing his partner.
Keen observation, sounds like Raymond has done his share of observations and evaluations.

The new Lead just had to get that basketball. One never knows when a fan will bolt out of the cheap seats, grab a basketball for a souvenir, and run out the fire exit into the parking lot.

The Center did a great job realizing that the players could use some adult supervision (White #3 did go down like a broken rag doll) and did move quickly toward the crowd (which turned out to be more joyous than confrontational).

At least the reporting official raised his hand for substitutes, more than some of our local "first year many times over" guys do.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 12, 2021 at 03:02pm.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The shooter jumps forward on this play.
It appears the defender jumped toward the shooter, leading to the pushing foul.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Alternate Situation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But no reason to make this complicated and then awarded the ball out of bounds or give a bonus free throw situation.
Only offered this alternate situation for those that believed that there was a foul, and that the foul came after the shooter contacted the floor.

Just wanted to emphasis that in this alternate case that the ball was still live since it was still in flight, that contacting the floor doesn't automatically make the ball dead (not wanting to go down the "dead ball foul must be intentional, or flagrant" rabbit hole).

In this video, the ball going in the basket makes the ball dead, not anything before that.

Note: Early returns have quite a few IAABO members commenting the shooter returns to the floor before she was fouled.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 12, 2021 at 02:08pm.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
I see the defender turn her hip. I see the shooter landing forward of the spot where she initially jumped from.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough To Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It looks like the arm was hit in the air.
Quote:
... if she didn't hit her arm, which I haven't looked hard enough to see if she did or not, there's a possibility I wouldn't have a whistle on this play. The calling official reports a push to the table. The shooter jumps forward on this play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Tough to call.

Not much A to B movement by the defender.

I ended up believing that defender Black #15's right arm hit airborne shooter White #3's right shoulder.

Tough to call in real time. Tough to call in 1/4 time.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 12, 2021 at 12:18pm.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

From my perspective, it was not an A to B foul, but an illegal use of hands foul. The illegal use of hands happened while the shooter was still airborne. Therefore, score the goal, and the shooter shoots one free throw.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would have liked an endline view of the play. The official has a much better angle. It looks like it could not be a foul at all with the basic philosophy I have stated before on this site and many other places. But I am sure this foul was expected and likely no one said anything, so there you go.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The only way that I could make this call was by watching the video at 1/4 speed (only available to IAABO members) and stopping it when White #3 returned to the floor.

At regular speed, I was leaning toward White #3 having returned to the floor and not in the act of shooting, next looking for a live ball/dead ball. The foul occurred during a live ball, the ball was still in flight. Count the basket. Since it appears that White was not in the bonus, give White the ball on the endline.
The swipe by black happens when white is at the apex of her jump. Assuming that's the foul call, it's easy to see she was in the air.

And, I agree with Raymond -- the "way it's called" is to give the benefit of the doubt to a shooting foul -- even if the player has returned to the floor, if they are still "completing the normal actions associated with a shot" (my words) call the shooting foul.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Already Landed Shooter Taken Out ...

Quote:
I don't split hairs on these plays. Unless it is obvious that they have already returned to the floor, I'm considering the foul in the act of shooting.
Agree. The only time that I may call a foul after the shooter returns the floor, is on a three point attempt where the shooter clearly has already returned to the floor and then gets "taken out" by a defender running at the shooter whose momentum carries him into the "already landed" shooter.

Very rare, may go a few years between such calls. When I call these (rarely), this not an airborne shooter play, and thus becomes a common foul play (bonus, not bonus, free throws, throwin, etc.). Because of the distance (and time in flight) of the try (from three point range) it's usually occurs during a live ball (not wanting to go down the "dead ball foul must be intentional, or flagrant" rabbit hole).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 12, 2021 at 12:31pm.