The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 01:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Different Format ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 01:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Entire Play ...

From this video, it appears to me that the Center did get straight-lined.

Even with the limitations of a still photo, combine the still photo (far above) together with the live video, and the replay video from the near side and far side, to get the best idea (short of new videos from new angles) of what really happened, something the Lead (who didn't rotate over to the ball side) and the Center (straight-lined) were unable to see.

Trail maybe had the best angle but was she too far away to make a game saving call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 31, 2021 at 10:40am.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

You're never "too far away to make a game saving call." Especially when you have the best look on the crew.

But you had better be correct if you are the furthest away and putting air in the whistle with 0.4 left in the Elite Eight.

This is not a "strike down the middle" like the Auburn/Virginia play a couple years ago IMO. I just talked to a women's NCAA official who thought a no-call was correct. But I have also talked to peers who feel there had to be a whistle here. I guess our NCAAW Forum members will have to let us know if this play makes next season's preseason video.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Have you seen this video that I posted earlier today?

Video: https://twitter.com/i/status/1376704066668093445
I have seen this play about 3 different angles. The angle from the picture that you and everyone has shown to say it was a foul. The endline angle which I made a video showing the ball being touched by the defender first. And the camera feed angle from the live action.

I think it is not a foul at all and we are playing the "There was contact" game that is bogus. Of course there was contact, two bigger players are defending a shot.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

I work men's college basketball games. The UConn/Baylor play, the Oregon State block shot followed by the hit to the arm (this season's tournament), and the play Jeff just posted where the player gets hit in the head are fouls to me. That is based on watching videos of each play. The play from Goshen versus Grace should not have been a foul because the defender jumped straight up vertically with both hands above his head.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 30, 2021 at 02:11pm.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Worst angle is the live camera feed.

Still photo clearly shows contact on DiJonai Carrington's shooting elbow by #20 Olivia Nelson-Ododa before the ball is released.
I agree, but still 4-27 (or the NCAA Women's equivilent) applies.

Quote:
Endline angle video clearly shows #3 Aaliyah Edwards moving forward (A to B) toward Carrington and then through and past Carrington's original position, with Carrington ending up on the floor.
She is absolutely moving forward, but she does not make any contact with the player until she tops the ball. And that is usually not how A to B contact is judged at that level when there is a clear play on the ball. Women do not usually do that contact as high in the air.

Quote:
Sure, Carrington's leaning back off balance to avoid a blocked shot might have had something to do with her ending up on the floor, but the body contact by Edwards certainly helped. Watch where Edwards ends up after the contact.
And it is a great girl's basketball call that would be scolded if called in the very same situation in a boy's or men's game. Been there and called some BS and was told about it directly. I am not stating anything I have not experienced and told why I should lay off that call at both the high school and college levels.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
What’s the OSU play? Do you have a link?
I think he is talking about a play I posted earlier in the tournament, but have not put up on YouTube yet (I will but the CBS gets on my nerves).

I would agree with him it is similar, but that to me was two different acts. One guy blocked the ball and the other came over and hit the player in the head and arm I believe.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

And it is a great girl's basketball call that would be scolded if called in the very same situation in a boy's or men's game. Been there and called some BS and was told about it directly. I am not stating anything I have not experienced and told why I should lay off that call at both the high school and college levels.

Peace
I would not get scolded for making that call in any of my NCAA Men's basketball games or boys HS games.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I would not get scolded for making that call in any of my NCAA Men's basketball games or boys HS games.
I would. It would start with the coaches, then the fans (don't care about them but mentioning it for context), then later some of my partners and supervisor. Happened a few times.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

I also have more of a foul on #20 for hitting elbow than I do on the other player for the body contact. Neither defender touched the ball.

If the Lead moves with the play, he sees that hit to the elbow.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Protect the airborne shooter all the way back down to the floor.

Especially since Carrington was pushed while still holding the ball after the ball was "topped" by the Edwards.
Then we do not call very many fouls as a community. Again when you show me a block that does not involve contact of some kind, then I will show you a bunch of free throw we do not reward. Again, all contact is never a foul. Even the airborne shooter rule does not say any contact is a foul. That is why 4-27 is there, clearly.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

U Can't Touch This (MC Hammer, 1990) ...

Quote:
Neither defender touched the ball.
You could be correct about #20 Olivia Nelson-Ododa (the elbow hitter).

#3 Aaliyah Edwards did get her hand on the ball before it was released. Not a block, just a touch before the ball was released, while still in Carrington's hands.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Protect The Airborne Shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then we do not call very many fouls as a community.
Protect does not mean to call every single instance of contact a foul. Never did. It means to stay with the the airborne shooter and watch for illegal contact that creates an defensive advantage, or an offensive disadvantage, as well considering landing spot safety concerns. It also means that for a second, or two, to let your partner(s) worry about the rebounding fouls.

In Carrington's case, she hadn't even released the ball when she got pushed, certainly a illegal disadvantage for an airborne shooter.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 30, 2021 at 05:58pm.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don’t Put Anything In Your Ears That’s Smaller Than Your Elbow …

Quote:
I also have more of a foul on #20 for hitting elbow than I do on the other player for the body contact.
It's certainly easy to see the still photo. Too bad the Lead, or the Center, didn't (or couldn't) see it live.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 30, 2021 at 03:30pm.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2021, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also have more of a foul on #20 for hitting elbow than I do on the other player for the body contact.
Agreed -- and you can see it more on the end-line angle that's in the video that BM posted recently than I could in the initial view from the twitter feed.