The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 06:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

NCAAW Texas vs. UConn (Video)

So you want the last second shot? Good luck with that.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 07:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It took a month for her to get that shot off. He got it right, in real time.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, I watched it several times and still wasn't sure at real time. Would have been no good in my mind without the repeated looks.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the first thing about basketball mechanics, but it looked and sounded like the wave off came from the far side of the court by the official around the FT line.

Is that normal?
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 09:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Yes.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes.
Care to elaborate?

It appears that there were three officials looking at the same thing and two of the three put an arm up indicating a valid three point attempt and the furthest from the action overruled them both.

I'm not saying he was wrong, but the optics looked 'weird'.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 09:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the first thing about basketball mechanics, but it looked and sounded like the wave off came from the far side of the court by the official around the FT line.

Is that normal?
Giving a signal of a 3 point shot and signaling the shot being off are two different things. Only one official signals if the shot got off in time. That official who happens to be the opposite table Center ruled the shot was too late. The play was in transition so the New Trail can signal if they are behind the line. Nothing odd about this at all and very typical. No one over ruled anyone or was even giving their opinion on the issue, that is how it is done. Now Women's Mechanics are a little different than Men's or NF Mechanics as the C regardless of their side of the floor rules on this play to determine it is a good shot. Now in college media games they get to review the actual validity of the shot, but they still have to on the fly make a ruling.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was late while watching live and a good call. I was a bit annoyed at the replays because the clock on the TV replay was at 0.1 while the backboard light was on, and the ball still clearly in her hands. Was explaining t my wife how the backboard light rules all and the TV clock is usually a little bit off. Ugh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I thought it was late while watching live and a good call. I was a bit annoyed at the replays because the clock on the TV replay was at 0.1 while the backboard light was on, and the ball still clearly in her hands. Was explaining t my wife how the backboard light rules all and the TV clock is usually a little bit off. Ugh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not so fast, young fella...

NCAAW 11-3-1a-1: Officials shall use such available (instant replay equipment) when there is a reading of zeroes on the game clock at the end of any period, after making a call on the playing court...(to) determine whether a try for field goal entering the basket was released before the reading of zeroes on the game clock.

If there's no monitor, we use the light. If there's a monitor, it's the zeroes on the clock.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Not so fast, young fella...

NCAAW 11-3-1a-1: Officials shall use such available (instant replay equipment) when there is a reading of zeroes on the game clock at the end of any period, after making a call on the playing court...(to) determine whether a try for field goal entering the basket was released before the reading of zeroes on the game clock.

If there's no monitor, we use the light. If there's a monitor, it's the zeroes on the clock.

Wow - thanks for the correction. I guess I put the ass in assumed when I thought the rules were the same as high school regarding the light.

Is that a change made with the wide-spread adoption of replay or has it always been that way?
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
Wow - thanks for the correction. I guess I put the ass in assumed when I thought the rules were the same as high school regarding the light.

Is that a change made with the wide-spread adoption of replay or has it always been that way?
It's been in there since Rule 11 was added to the book for the 2013-14 season. I don't have any of my books prior to that year handy.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Yes, but you can't trust the superimposed clocks that the TV networks use. There is almost always a delay. When you are reviewing the video in these cases, you have to be able to see the clocks above the backboards. Even in that last look from the backcourt, look up at the scoreboard clock in blue...it shows 0.2, but the clock above the backboard shows 0.0 and the red lights are on.

Last edited by Altor; Tue Mar 29, 2016 at 07:10am.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Yes, but you can't trust the superimposed clocks that the TV networks use. There is almost always a delay. When you are reviewing the video in these cases, you have to be able to see the clocks above the backboards. Even in that last look from the backcourt, look up at the scoreboard clock in blue...it shows 0.2, but the clock above the backboard shows 0.0 and the red lights are on.
I haven't had cause to use the monitor (knock wood) but those I've seen have the clock above the basket superimposed onto the screen. The clock we see on TV as viewers is usually a side clock due to logistical reasons.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk