Bounce Pass ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
... throws a bounce pass ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... throws a bounce pass ...
Where is this bounce pass you speak of?

I see a regular (non-bounce) inbound pass followed by a muff, followed by some controversial stuff.

Does anybody still use the term "muff" anymore? I bet that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. still uses the term.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 02:17pm.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 02:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Tale Of Two Cities (Charles Dickens, 1859) ...

Quote:
That said, even if they'd called it, it was unlikely to have changed the outcome.
Troy coach Chanda Rigby excitedly exalting players during the timeout preceding this play: "There's 4.5 seconds left".

Texas A&M coach Gary Blair cautiously warning players during the timeout preceding this play: "There's 4.5 seconds left".

Just sayin'.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 04:38pm.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw this play and I saw a different sequence of events...

A&M throws a bounce pass that hits in frontcourt/ deflects off their own player/then, from the frontcourt, starts a dribble that goes into the backcourt / same player goes an retrieves it continues to dribble in the backcourt

Yes, the first touch was not control. However, the 2nd touched was controlled and the start of the dribble by a player that was in the frontcourt at the time.

I think it should have been a violation.

That said, even if they'd called it, it was unlikely to have changed the outcome.
The A&M coach had the best comment on this play. Saying that if the official deemed the player to not be in control of the ball, then it wasn’t backcourt, but it there was control, then it was a violation.

The aspect of control happens very close to the division line. I happen to agree with Cameron that control looks to be established via a dribble just prior crossing the division line.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

My bad -- going off memory thought the initial throw in was a bounce pass
(not that it matters)

I know NCAAW have some different rules from NFHS and NCAAM and just wanted to double check
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Same game different question

SAME GAME DIFFERENT QUESTION

They called a foul on Troy #25 with about min or so to go... when it looked like the foul should have been on a completely different player

With possession of the basketball and a two-point lead, A&M's Wilson drove the lane and was tripped by a Trojan defender. The foul originally looked to be on the floor and committed by Troy freshman Sharonica Hartsfield, instead the officials whistled Dye for her fifth and final personal foul and ruled that the foul occurred while Nixon was in the shooting motion.

The play wasn't reviewed that i could tell -- #25 had dropped almost 30 points to that point in the game

Is that a reviewable play on the NCAAW level?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think you could make a case that she has control in the FC, but to me that is not a very good argument. I actually find it rather suspect. Just because you touch the ball does not mean you have control at that point. Clearly trying to gain control, but not confident that is what is happening here. And to me you cannot split hairs on a play like this if it is not obvious.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 04:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think a discussion can be had that the second time the ball hit the floor it was the start of a dribble -- and that might lead to a BC violation.
This is one of those plays where a legitimate argument can be made either way. If this were an NFL game, the official's call on the field would stand no matter which way they ruled.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Of A Certain Age ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
My bad, going off memory thought the initial throw in was a bounce pass (not that it matters).
It doesn't matter, and the first touch did "bounce" off her finger tips.

After two Forum members referred to a bounce pass, I thought that I was going crazy, or blind.

Now where are my glasses?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 05:22pm.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 04:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If You're Not Sure, Don’t Call It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think you could make a case that she has control in the FC, but to me that is not a very good argument. I actually find it rather suspect. Just because you touch the ball does not mean you have control at that point. Clearly trying to gain control, but not confident that is what is happening here. And to me you cannot split hairs on a play like this if it is not obvious.
Agree.

There's a judgment decision to be made here, in a split second with the official's back up against a sideline table. What was her intent? To intentionally push, throw, or bat the ball to the floor to start a dribble, where starting (and starting alone) said dribble would mean player control and team control in the frontcourt? Or to temporarily tap (without controlling) the ball further away from defenders?

If you are not sure, don’t call it.

Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Astute ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The A&M coach had the best comment on this play. Saying that if the official deemed the player to not be in control of the ball, then it wasn’t backcourt, but it there was control, then it was a violation.
I noticed that also, pretty astute for a coach.

Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Troy coach Chanda Rigby excitedly exalting players during the timeout preceding this play: "There's 4.5 seconds left".

Texas A&M coach Gary Blair cautiously warning players during the timeout preceding this play: "There's 4.5 seconds left".

Just sayin'.
Yes...but by the time the potential violation would have stopped the clock, it would probably have been 3 seconds or less. With a throwin near the division line, most teams have a hard time getting a score.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where is this bounce pass you speak of?

I see a regular (non-bounce) inbound pass followed by a muff, followed by some controversial stuff.
You are correct. The point of the play/discussion really has nothing to do with that, however. The type of pass is entirely irrelevant. I was merely commenting on what happened after the ball was touched inbounds.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bookies With A Computer ...

Quote:
With a throwin near the division line, most teams have a hard time getting a score.
I'm 99 and 44/100's percent sure that 99 and 44/100's percent of actuaries would agree with you.

Quote:
Just sayin'.
Just sayin'. Cliché. Often meaning, "I hold the stated belief, but I don't have an imperative to act on that belief."

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 06:51pm.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bounce Pass ??? What Bounce Pass ???

Quote:
You are correct. The point of the play/discussion really has nothing to do with that, however. The type of pass is entirely irrelevant. I was merely commenting on what happened after the ball was touched inbounds.
Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
It doesn't matter, and the first touch did "bounce" off her finger tips. After two Forum members referred to a bounce pass, I thought that I was going crazy, or blind. Now where are my glasses?

Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 09:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bats A Ball Away From Players Who Are Attempting To Get It …

Quote:
There's a judgment decision to be made here, in a split second with the official's back up against a sideline table. What was her intent? To intentionally push, throw, or bat the ball to the floor to start a dribble, where starting (and starting alone) said dribble would mean player control and team control in the frontcourt? Or to temporarily tap (without controlling) the ball further away from defenders?
4.15 COMMENT: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from her hand, when she fumbles, or when she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 24, 2021 at 11:09am.