The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Player removed jersey before leaving floor

Just saw a replay of a male college player removing his jersey before he left the floor. This occurred after his 5th personal foul and as he was leaving the floor. He was clearly not happy with call (lip reading BS, FU, etc.) and was disappointed as this was a tournament game and his team was losing and eventually lost. He had no undershirt and threw the jersey beyond the bench. Not sure if any of the on court officials saw this happen. This occurred with less than 2 minutes left in the game. My question is, does this act warrant a technical foul?

Last edited by Chuga; Thu Mar 11, 2021 at 03:01pm.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS (high school) rules, this would be a T to the player and an indirect to the head coach if the player's replacement had been beckoned.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66 View Post
Under NFHS (high school) rules, this would be a T to the player and an indirect to the head coach if the player's replacement had been beckoned.
The indirect T has nothing to do with the beckoning of the substitute. This is a DQ situation and the notifying of the coach is what determines when he becomes bench personnel.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. I apologize for the incorrect information.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 03:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

10-4-6-H: A player must not: Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

10-5: The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel.

2-8-4: The officials must: Notify the head coach and request the timer to begin the replacement interval, and then notify the player on a disqualification.

3-3-3: A player becomes bench personnel after his/her substitute becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his/her disqualification.

4-14-2: A player is officially disqualified and becomes bench personnel when the coach is notified by an official.

4-34-3: A player becomes bench personnel after his/her substitute becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his/her disqualification.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes
3-4-15 Prohibits a team member from removing his/her jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area. The penalty is a technical foul.

Comments On The 2005-06 Rules Revisions
Jerseys/Pants/Skirts Prohibited From Being Removed (3-4-15, 10-3-7h, 10-4-1h): A team member is prohibited from removing his/her jersey and/or pants/skirt within the confines of the playing area. The penalty is a technical foul. The former uniform rule didn't require team members to actually wear the team uniform. This addition also addresses a growing behavioral concern of players removing their jerseys to demonstrate frustration or anger and as a means of attracting individual attention. The rule is intended to be applied in all situations - even when a player must change uniforms due to blood or other unusual circumstances. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to go to their locker rooms to change their jerseys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 11, 2021 at 03:30pm.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA has no rule regarding removal of a player's jersey.

The other acts he took could, of course, have warranted a technical foul.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA may have no rule about shirt removal but I think it is fair to say that is an unsporting act.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
The NCAA may have no rule about shirt removal but I think it is fair to say that is an unsporting act.
At that level? Not a chance or not just for doing that. There could be all other kinds of things going on. He or she throws their jersey, maybe, but not just for removing it. Even the NF rule is kind of silly on many levels and is a very technical thing to call.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not The Same ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Even the NF rule is kind of silly on many levels
Agree.

High school player fouls out and takes off his jersey and throws it to the bench in frustration directed at an official. Technical foul.

Player is advised in layup line that he can't play with an an illegal undershirt and he quietly and politely goes over to his bench to remove it to comply with a rule and in doing so temporarily removes his jersey. My opinion, not the same as above (even if the NFHS says otherwise).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 26, 2021 at 12:22pm.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree.

High school player fouls out and takes off his jersey and throws it in frustration directed at an official. Technical foul.

Player is advised in layup line that he can't play with an an illegal undershirt and he quietly and politely goes over to his bench to remove it and in doing so temporarily removes his jersey. My opinion, not the same as above (even if the NFHS says otherwise).
The NFHS made this change sometime around when Brandi Chastain (US Women's Soccer) made SI's cover with a shirt removal. Many in the NFHS world didn't want teenage girls emulating that and/or thought it was improper for girls to be removing their shirts in public even though that were not naked and had a sports bra or similar under it. So, at least partially due to the above, they made it illegal to take the shirt off in the gym even if it wasn't unsportsmanlike. To be equal, the rule was made to apply to boys just the same.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2021, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Fire Me. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The NFHS made this change sometime around when Brandi Chastain (US Women's Soccer) made SI's cover with a shirt removal. Many in the NFHS world didn't want teenage girls emulating that and/or thought it was improper for girls to be removing their shirts in public even though that were not naked and had a sports bra or similar under it. So, at least partially due to the above, they made it illegal to take the shirt off in the gym even if it wasn't unsportsmanlike. To be equal, the rule was made to apply to boys just the same.
Comments On The 2005-06 Rules Revisions
Jerseys/Pants/Skirts Prohibited From Being Removed ... The rule is intended to be applied in all situations - even when a player must change uniforms due to blood or other unusual circumstances. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to go to their locker rooms to change their jerseys.

I'm 100% wrong, but if I advise a player that he can't play with an illegal undershirt, I'm ignoring what happens next.

Yeah. I know that we can easily advise that the player go to the locker room, but I'm still ignoring what happens next.

I'm what'cha call a rebel. Yeah. A rebel, I tell you. A rebel.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 12, 2021 at 08:01pm.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2021, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chastain’s jersey removal was following winning the 1999 women’s World Cup. The NFHS rule was 2005. I know that the NFHS is slow with rule changes/new rules, but six years afterward is probably not in response to that act.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2021, 01:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fuddy Duddies ...

Many years ago, when coaching at summer camps, I do remember being embarrassed when high school girls switched reversible jerseys in front of male coaches and, yikes, high school boys.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 13, 2021 at 03:53pm.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2021, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Chastain’s jersey removal was following winning the 1999 women’s World Cup. The NFHS rule was 2005. I know that the NFHS is slow with rule changes/new rules, but six years afterward is probably not in response to that act.
It wasn't direct, it was after similar actions continued to grow over the next few years.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2021, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wasn't direct, it was after similar actions continued to grow over the next few years.
It was a real issue in VB for a number of years around that time. My guess is that the NFHS decided that if they added it to one sport, they needed to add it to all sports (and then if they added it for one sex, they needed to add it for both sexes).