The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With An Intentional Foul ...

Should this contact be ruled intentional? Observe the play as it transitions down the court and make a decision as to whether or not the contact should have been ruled intentional.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...JWjhXjUuBQ.mp4

Three choices: The contact is incidental. The contact is intentional. This should have been ruled a common foul.

My comment: This should have been ruled a common foul. I'm straight-lined viewing, but it looks like a basketball play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Common.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Straight-Lined ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Common.
Agree, but I would still like to get a view from where I'm not straight-lined. The new lead got a pretty good look and it appears that he decided that the contact was "just" a common foul. Seemed pretty straight forward to him, and seems pretty straight forward to me, so why do the IAABO International "Gang of Four" co-interpreters want us to think that something "fishy" is going on? Just because the ball handler was a little ahead of the defender? Because White had "fouls to give"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 21, 2021 at 01:19pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just a common foul.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Common
Old Fri Feb 26, 2021, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...JWjhXjUuBQ.mp4

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This should have been ruled a common foul.

On a breakaway, Green #23 is dribbling the ball into the frontcourt as he is fouled by White #12. On plays such as this, intentional fouls should be charged when contact is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player or when it is considered excessive contact. (4-19-3)

In this case, the defender did make a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player, and the contact was not excessive. This is a common foul and is ruled properly by the officials. This is a proper way to foul “deliberately” without being charged with an intentional foul.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: The contact is intentional 48%; This should have been ruled a common foul 47% (including me); The contact is incidental 5%.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 06, 2021 at 10:01am.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2021, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Foul “Deliberately” ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... why do the IAABO International "Gang of Four" co-interpreters want us to think that something "fishy" is going on? Just because the ball handler was a little ahead of the defender? Because White had "fouls to give"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO International Play Commentary: This is a proper way to foul “deliberately” without being charged with an intentional foul.
For everyone who asks receives. (Luke 11:8)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 26, 2021 at 12:45pm.