The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 04, 2021, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
Another example of the NBA officials not caring about enforcing rules

Frequently NBA officials turn a blind eye towards violations when there is no defensive pressure or a player isn’t gaining any advantage.
The throw-in by Porzingis in this clip highlighted on ESPN.com is another clear example of illegal action which an official simply ignores.
The entertainment league obviously doesn’t desire for this to be called and have a possession taken away from a team.

Someone else can post a link as I’m not certain how to do that for this particular video.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 04, 2021, 09:15pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,570
Are you sure the reasons you cite are correct? Maybe he just missed it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 04, 2021, 10:41pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,966
http://espn.com/video/clip?id=30830253
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 10:39am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Frequently NBA officials turn a blind eye towards violations when there is no defensive pressure or a player isn’t gaining any advantage.

The throw-in by Porzingis in this clip highlighted on ESPN.com is another clear example of illegal action which an official simply ignores.

The entertainment league obviously doesn’t desire for this to be called and have a possession taken away from a team.



Someone else can post a link as I’m not certain how to do that for this particular video.


I know even in HS varsity games I don't stare at the ball handler when there's no pressure. Those traveling videos embarrass the officials but I could see that happen to me as I'm looking for the next competitive matchup.

Sometimes it's not a big conspiracy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,883
NBA Rules ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Are you sure the reasons you cite are correct?
I'd love to see this in slow motion, but is this a violation in the NBA because I'm not 100% certain that it's a violation in NFHS?

It certainly "looks" odd and like it should be a violation, but I believe that he releases the ball before is right foot hits the court inbounds. There is no boundary plane for inbounders (feet, ball, hands, or body) in the NFHS, just defenders.

The running start makes it look odd and the start of the bounce pass looks very much like the start of a dribble, but it isn't.

Just saying, I'd love to see this in slow motion.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 05, 2021 at 02:07pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 10:48am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,883
No Pressure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... even in HS varsity games I don't stare at the ball handler when there's no pressure ... I'm looking for the next competitive matchup.
Agree. In many cases our partner should be looking for those matchups, but it's tough for one to observe eight players over an area possibly two-thirds of the court, or more, and I often take a peek upcourt.

__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 07, 2021 at 11:13am.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 08:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,613
Related event. I had a team yesterday, down by 20 3rd quarter, lazily not take the ball out of bounds after a field goal (one of those mental errors a team makes when they are frustrated). No defensive pressure. A1 passed to A2 who started to advance the ball. “Tweet”...I called the violation.

A few years ago, or if it’s not a varsity game, I probably let this go on the basis of situation, time, and score. After the game my R (much older) said I should have. But, meh....these days everything is on video (NFHS.net, YouTube, etc.), plus you never know who’s watching, so I made the call.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 09:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Related event. I had a team yesterday, down by 20 3rd quarter,
Plus, it's better to learn this lesson when the team is down by 20 and it doesn't cost them anything than to learn the lesson when they are down by two and it costs them the game (or they blame the ref for costing them the game)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 09:22am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. In many cases our partner should be looking for those matchups, but it's tough for one to observe nine players over an area possibly two-thirds of the court, or more, and I often take a peek upcourt.



I have two partners in every game and I still don't stare at unpressured ball handlers.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 09:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Related event. I had a team yesterday, down by 20 3rd quarter, lazily not take the ball out of bounds after a field goal
Could you have gotten away with a whistle and a quick "Hey...take the ball OOB!" Without knowing the details of your play, what rule did they violate? If the player was never OOB to pass it in, what violation occurred?
__________________
Dan R.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 10:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Could you have gotten away with a whistle and a quick "Hey...take the ball OOB!" Without knowing the details of your play, what rule did they violate? If the player was never OOB to pass it in, what violation occurred?
9.2.2 SITUATION C: A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1
grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a
throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain
inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket. RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 10:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
9.2.2 SITUATION C: A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1
grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a
throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain
inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket. RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)

Archive Challenge: There was an interp a while back that clarified the violation occurs at the point Team B begins to advance the ball.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 10:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,613
Another example of the NBA officials not caring about enforcing rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Could you have gotten away with a whistle and a quick "Hey...take the ball OOB!"?

Not in a varsity game.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,883
Smile, You're On Candid Camera ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... these days everything is on video ...
Regarding every grandmother in the stands now having a video camera in their cell phones, the biggest change for me is the rebounding situation where A1 makes some "over the back" contact with B1 with both players touching the ball before it goes out of bounds, off B1's finger first by a split second.

Back before the proliferation of video cameras I could simply call this play off A1 and give Team B the ball for a throwin. Win, win, win situation. I didn't have any tough decisions to make, Team A head coach was happy because his player avoided a foul, and Team B head coach was happy because his team had the ball. Everybody was in on it, we all had an "understanding", we all knew the secret handshake, and everybody was happy. A wink, a nod, and a smile.

Forty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut, this technique was actually taught to rookie officials by highly respected veteran officials.

No more. Now I have to decide if the contact created any advantage/disadvantage, and if not, give the throwin to Team A.

By the book, as it probably should have been called forty years ago.

__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 06, 2021 at 04:01pm.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 07, 2021, 09:28am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Regarding every grandmother in the stands now having a video camera in their cell phones, the biggest change for me is the rebounding situation where A1 makes some "over the back" contact with B1 with both players touching the ball before it goes out of bounds, off B1's finger first by a split second.

Back before the proliferation of video cameras I could simply call this play off A1 and give Team B the ball for a throwin. Win, win, win situation. I didn't have any tough decisions to make, Team A head coach was happy because his player avoided a foul, and Team B head coach was happy because his team had the ball. Everybody was in on it, we all had an "understanding", we all knew the secret handshake, and everybody was happy. A wink, a nod, and a smile.

Forty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut, this technique was actually taught to rookie officials by highly respected veteran officials.

No more. Now I have to decide if the contact created any advantage/disadvantage, and if not, give the throwin to Team A.

By the book, as it probably should have been called forty years ago.



It's not every grandma in tne stands, it's that every school is streaming every game in the COVID era. HD cameras, announcers, the whole package.

I can watch almost all of the 32 games I've worked so far this season.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enforcing Sportsmanship ref3808 Basketball 27 Thu Apr 12, 2012 04:14am
Enforcing Coaching Box coach41 Basketball 25 Thu Dec 31, 2009 06:54pm
Cleaning & caring for umpire equipment CLBuffalo Softball 12 Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:08pm
enforcing ofsides Tom Grady Lacrosse 2 Thu May 06, 2004 12:36am
Hey JimNayzium !!! How about enforcing this one! KWH Football 9 Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:42am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1