The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 15, 2020, 03:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2020-21 Basketball Rule Interpretations ...

2020-21 Basketball Rule Interpretations

SITUATION 1: Team A head coach has received a second direct technical foul. The coach is directed to leave the vicinity of the bench and go to the locker room. The team has no other adult personnel on the bench for this contest. RULING: Since there is no other adult school personnel available to supervise the team, the contest will be declared a forfeit. The score will stand if the opposing team is ahead. If the forfeiting team is ahead, the score will be recorded as a 2-0 forfeit. (5-4-1c)

SITUATION 2: A1 is moving and catches the ball on one foot, then jumps and lands on both feet. The player then lifts the left foot and then returns it to the floor before releasing the ball to start a dribble. The official allows play to continue. RULING: The official should rule a travel on A1. When landing on one foot and then jumping and landing on both feet, the player does not have a pivot foot. If either foot is moved before releasing the ball to start a dribble, it is a travel. (4-44-2a, 3)

SITUATION 3: A1, who is dribbling the ball, is intentionally fouled as the signal to end the third quarter sounds. The official administers the free throws as a part of the third quarter and starts the fourth quarter by awarding the throw-in at the spot nearest the spot of the intentional foul. Team B has the possession arrow. RULING: The official correctly administered the free throws as a part of the third quarter. The team will not get the benefit of throw-in at the division line because the quarter ended. No penalty or part of a penalty should be carried over to the next quarter or extra period except when a correctable error is involved. The fourth quarter should begin with a throw-in by Team B, which has the possession arrow. (4-19-3c; 5-6-2 EXCEPTION 3)

SITUATION 4: Team A has its school logo placed above the number on the jersey. The official rules the jersey illegal. RULING: The official is correct. The logo may be placed in the apex of the neckline on the front of the jersey or in the upper shoulder area on the front of the jersey or a corresponding area on the back or in the side insert. It may not be placed above the number. The name of the logo may be placed above the number, not the picture. (3-4-4a)

SITUATION 5: B1 obtains a legal guarding position on A1, who is dribbling the ball near the sideline. There is no contact by A1 while B1 has both feet on the playing court. B1 stays in the path of A1 but in doing so has (a) one foot touching the out-of-bounds boundary line, or (b) one foot in the air over the out-of-bounds boundary line when A1 contacts B1 in the torso. RULING: In (a), a blocking foul shall be called on B1. B1 may not be touching out of bounds. In (b), a player-control foul shall be called on A1; B1 had established and maintained a legal guarding position. (4-23-2, 4-23-3, 4-35-1)

SITUATION 6: Team A (free-throw shooting team) has no players in marked lane spaces. Team B (non-shooting team) has (a) four players in the first and second marked lane spaces or (b) two players in the first marked lane spaces only. RULING: Legal in both (a) and (b). The shooting team is not required to have any players in marked lane spaces and the defensive team must only have the first marked lane spaces occupied. If a team does not occupy a marked lane space to which it is entitled, the opponent may occupy the space (within the number limitations). (8-1-4)

SITUATION 7: Team A is playing with five players but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. RULING: The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery. (3-3-6)

SITUATION 8: A1 is fouled by B2 and is awarded two free throws. The foul is B2’s fifth foul. The new trail official reports the fifth foul to Team B’s coach. Before a substitute is made, the lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw. The officials realize the error and huddle to discuss the situation. RULING: The result of the first attempt shall stand. Team B’s head coach shall be notified of B2’s disqualification. Once B2 has been replaced, A1 shall attempt the second free throw. COMMENT: This is an official’s error and not a correctable-error situation according to Rule 2-10. (2-8-3, 4-14-1, 6-1-2c)

SITUATION 9: A1, while being defended, is driving from near the free-throw line extended toward the end line. A1 continues toward the end line and pulls up and goes airborne just before the boundary line with his/her momentum carrying him/her out of bounds. Just as A1 goes airborne, he/she passes off to a teammate across the lane and lands out of bounds. RULING: No violation. A player’s momentum, after performing legal actions on the court that results in taking him/her out of bounds is not a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. However, if A1 purposely or deceitfully delays returning after legally being out of bounds to gain an advantage, a player technical foul would be assessed. (4-4-3, 9-3-3, 10-4-2)

SITUATION 10: A1 fouls out of the game. The Team A coach talks to a substitute and within 15 seconds sends the substitute to the table to report in the game. A Team B player then requests a time-out. RULING: Since a time-out may not be granted until a disqualified player is replaced, the administering official should ask the substitute at the table if he/she is the replacement for A1. If so, the time-out may be granted. If not, the substitute shall remain at the table and the coach must still replace A1 within the specified timeframe before the time-out may be granted. (3-3-1, 5-8-3b, 10-6-2)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 15, 2020, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sticky Thread Addendum ...

Can a moderator please post this set of annual interpretations to Nevadaref's NFHS Past Interpretations Archive Sticky Thread?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 15, 2020, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Blast from the past! About half of these are just repeated from prior years. That’s so lazy of the NFHS committee.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Ask, Don't Tell ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
SITUATION 1: Team A head coach has received a second direct technical foul. The coach is directed to leave the vicinity of the bench and go to the locker room. The team has no other adult personnel on the bench for this contest. RULING: Since there is no other adult school personnel available to supervise the team, the contest will be declared a forfeit. The score will stand if the opposing team is ahead. If the forfeiting team is ahead, the score will be recorded as a 2-0 forfeit. (5-4-1c)
As a result of some state-wide problems, our Connecticut high school sports governing body has some guidelines in place for such a situation. Once the coach, with no assistants, is ejected, the ejected coach has fifteen minutes to be replaced by a non-student over the age of eighteen. It is not the officials responsibility to check for proof of proper certification (usually all coaches in the state have to have a state issued coaching certificate), or age, or non-student status, we don't even ask. No replacement after fifteen minutes leads a forfeit by the team without a coach, even if they are leading in the game. Usually never comes up in high school varsity or junior varsity games, but does occasionally come up in high school freshman games (especially the visiting team), or middle school games.

Our state high school sports governing body probably figures that canceling a co-curricular school activity involving two teams of athletes (one team traveling by bus, that may have already left to return for a later pickup), cheerleaders, fans, officials, and parents, due to the behavior of one adult who lost his temper and said the wrong word to an official, possibly in the first minute of a game, may not be the best educational plan for all involved. Give the coach (as long as he's not being a dickhead) some time to get a teacher, administrator, parent, police officer in the corner, custodian, or even the other team's assistant coach, to coach, thus allowing the completion of this educationally valuable extracurricular school activity. That’s probably preferable to sending everybody home and turning off the lights in the gym when ten or fifteen minutes of time can possibly remedy a problem.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 05, 2021 at 12:20pm.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Substitute Coach ...

Quote:
... Once the coach, with no assistants, is ejected ...
Many, many years ago, when I was still teaching middle school science and coaching girls middle school basketball, our middle school boys coach got ejected from a game, and per state interscholastic sports guidelines had to sit out the next game. He had no assistant so the principal asked me (having state coaching certification, first aid, CPR, etc.) to coach the boys team.

Next game was against our cross town rivals.

I hadn't seen the boys play all season long, and only knew a few of the boys on the team because they were in my science class.

The point guard/captain was a student in my science class and I knew that he was very intelligent, so I put him in charge of calling all the plays. The only thing I did was decide to go box and one to try to contain their best player. We lost and that best player opponent is now a basketball official on my local board and reminds me of that loss every time that I see him.

A reason for the loss may have been that I played ten boys. All the starters got a breather in each half, even if for only for a minute or two. After the game several parents came up to me and thanked me for coaching. A few thanked me for playing their sons, even if only for a few minutes. Apparently the coach used a "star system" and played only his best players for as long as possible, for thirty-two minutes in most cases. A few of these parents told me that their sons hadn't come off the bench all season long. Parents of a special education student were especially thankful. I guess that I figured out why a few boys would usually quit the team each and every season.

Old Sat Oct 17, 2020, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Who wrote these? They certainly leave a lot to be desired for what are supposed to be clarifying rulings.

#2, in the last sentence says "If either foot is moved" when it should say "either foot is lifted". In all other facets of the travel rule, a moved foot is one that is lifted and returned to the floor.

#4. Says the number can't be above the number, but that it has to be in the apex of the neckline. Isn't apex of the neckline above the number. Likewise for the shoulder area. It can be above the number but it has to be in a specific place above the number.

EDIT: Removed an item relating to #5 since they've actually corrected what I was complaining about.

#9. No problem with what it says, but I wish they'd change the rule about delaying the return inbounds to be a violation. It will almost never get calls as a T.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 20, 2020 at 02:33pm.
Old Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Minds Think Alike ...

Quote:
SITUATION 9: A1, while being defended, is driving from near the free-throw line extended toward the end line. A1 continues toward the end line and pulls up and goes airborne just before the boundary line with his/her momentum carrying him/her out of bounds. Just as A1 goes airborne, he/she passes off to a teammate across the lane and lands out of bounds. RULING: No violation. A player’s momentum, after performing legal actions on the court that results in taking him/her out of bounds is not a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. However, if A1 purposely or deceitfully delays returning after legally being out of bounds to gain an advantage, a player technical foul would be assessed. (4-4-3, 9-3-3, 10-4-2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#9. No problem with what it says, but I wish they'd change the rule about delaying the return inbounds to be a violation. It will almost never get calls as a T.
Quote:
My last NFHS rule change suggestion was near the end of last season:

9-3-4 A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
Penalty: The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.
Rationale: Many officials don't call players for purposely delaying returning in bounds.

This would have made the penalty for a player purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds the same as the penalty for a player leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

This suggestion made its way through my IAABO local and state board, and my state interscholastic sports governing body, and was passed through to the final agenda items of the NFHS Rules Committee, but it wasn't accepted.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 17, 2020 at 08:36am.
Old Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Who wrote these? They certainly leave a lot to be desired for what are supposed to be clarifying rulings.

#2, in the last sentence says "If either foot is moved" when it should say "either foot is lifted". In all other facets of the travel rule, a moved foot is one that is lifted and returned to the floor.

#4. Says the number can't be above the number, but that it has to be in the apex of the neckline. Isn't apex of the neckline above the number. Likewise for the shoulder area. It can be above the number but it has to be in a specific place above the number.

#5. Not actually supported by rule even though that is the commonly used interpretation. The rule actually says that you can't OBTAIN LGP with a foot OOB. It says nothing about maintaining LGP. This situation says that the defender obtained LGP and then stepped OOB. If that is what they want, the rule should be changed to say that.

Aren't you directly tied to the NF? Can you find out who wrote these? And again this is why it is clear that are not officials on the commitee that either use their voice or participate in the material put out. These interpretations often cause confusion or have wording that is problematic. When I have said that you and others try to tell us there is nothing to see here. But then I see posts like this that contradict parts of rules or wording in these interpretations. And what really is funny how these will be used, but never are in the Casebooks or Simplified and Illustrated books which care interepretations.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 17, 2020, 03:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inbound Status ...

Quote:
SITUATION 5: B1 obtains a legal guarding position on A1, who is dribbling the ball near the sideline. There is no contact by A1 while B1 has both feet on the playing court. B1 stays in the path of A1 but in doing so has (a) one foot touching the out-of-bounds boundary line, or (b) one foot in the air over the out-of-bounds boundary line when A1 contacts B1 in the torso. RULING: In (a), a blocking foul shall be called on B1. B1 may not be touching out of bounds. In (b), a player-control foul shall be called on A1; B1 had established and maintained a legal guarding position. (4-23-2, 4-23-3, 4-35-1)
Quote:
#5. Not actually supported by rule even though that is the commonly used interpretation. The rule actually says that you can't OBTAIN LGP with a foot OOB. It says nothing about maintaining LGP. This situation says that the defender obtained LGP and then stepped OOB. If that is what they want, the rule should be changed to say that.
4-23-2: To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard’s torso must be facing the opponent.

4-23-3: After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be
airborne, provided he/she has inbound status.
b. The guard is not required to continue facing the opponent.
c. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, -
provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
d. The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical
plane.
e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent

4-35-1: The location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where
the person is touching the floor as far as being:
a. Inbounds or out-of-bounds.
b. In the frontcourt or backcourt.
c. Outside (behind/beyond) or inside the three-point field-goal line.

Doesn't the guard still have to have inbound status while maintaining legal guarding position? See 4-23-3-A.

Old Sun Oct 18, 2020, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-23-3: After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be
airborne, provided he/she has inbound status.

Doesn't the guard still have to have inbound status while maintaining legal guarding position? See 4-23-3-A.
Well, I stand corrected. That phrase wasn't always there. It was added somewhere along the way.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2020, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have some disagreement with this post. BillyMac already posted the correction to #5, so I won't bother with that.

#2 A standing player in possesion of the ball may always jump into the air without violating. It is the returning to the floor which is the issue, so I am fine with the language used by the NFHS. As you note, the NFHS is using the word "moved" to signify a change in location of the foot from one spot on the floor to another. The lifting is not illegal by itself, whether it is done with both feet or only one.

#4 Uniform regulation are somewhat confusing. This play ruling does about the best job that it can of clarifying that a school logo may be in the neckline of the jersey at the apex (central point), while it cannot otherwise be on the front of the jersey above the number. So the point is that if the logo is anywhere else than the one location specified by this play ruling, the jersey is illegal.

#9 What we must decide is if the current penalty for delaying one's return from out of bounds is too harsh. Perhaps, but perhaps not. This kind of deceit isn't something which we want in the game and a harsh penalty therefore serves as a deterent to attempting such deception. The lighter penalty may get called more, but if not it makes trying this trickery far more worth it because even if you do get caught and penalized, the punishment is merely a single loss of possession.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2020, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have some disagreement with this post. BillyMac already posted the correction to #5, so I won't bother with that.

#2 A standing player in possesion of the ball may always jump into the air without violating. It is the returning to the floor which is the issue, so I am fine with the language used by the NFHS. As you note, the NFHS is using the word "moved" to signify a change in location of the foot from one spot on the floor to another. The lifting is not illegal by itself, whether it is done with both feet or only one.

#4 Uniform regulation are somewhat confusing. This play ruling does about the best job that it can of clarifying that a school logo may be in the neckline of the jersey at the apex (central point), while it cannot otherwise be on the front of the jersey above the number. So the point is that if the logo is anywhere else than the one location specified by this play ruling, the jersey is illegal.

#9 What we must decide is if the current penalty for delaying one's return from out of bounds is too harsh. Perhaps, but perhaps not. This kind of deceit isn't something which we want in the game and a harsh penalty therefore serves as a deterent to attempting such deception. The lighter penalty may get called more, but if not it makes trying this trickery far more worth it because even if you do get caught and penalized, the punishment is merely a single loss of possession.
#2: Read the case again. It is illegal if either foot is lifted prior to starting a dribble...that is a travel.

Quote:
Rule 4-4-b: Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
#3. No, it doesn't do the best job it can. It could have been worded way better and it wouldn't have been difficult. It is badly worded situations like this that leads to people penalizing things that are legal.

Below is my quickly created suggestion for an alternative. My additions, with wording taken straight form the rule book, are in red):

Quote:
SITUATION 4: Team A has its school logo placed above the number but below the base of the neckline on the jersey. The official rules the jersey illegal. RULING: The official is correct. The logo may be placed in the apex of the neckline on the front of the jersey or in the upper shoulder area on the front of the jersey or a corresponding area on the back or in the side insert. It may not be placed in the space above the number but below the base of the neckline. The name of the logo may be placed above the number, not the picture. (3-4-4a)

#9. How are these plays really any different than a player leaving the court without authorization. They're essentially the same act. They should have the same penalty.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2020, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Know It When I See It ...

Quote:
SITUATION 2: A1 is moving and catches the ball on one foot, then jumps and lands on both feet. The player then lifts the left foot and then returns it to the floor before releasing the ball to start a dribble. The official allows play to continue. RULING: The official should rule a travel on A1. When landing on one foot and then jumping and landing on both feet, the player does not have a pivot foot. If either foot is moved before releasing the ball to start a dribble, it is a travel. (4-44-2a, 3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
#2 A standing player in possession of the ball may always jump into the air without violating. It is the returning to the floor which is the issue,
Quote:
#2: Read the case again. It is illegal if either foot is lifted prior to starting a dribble...that is a travel.
Cameron Rust and Nevadaref aren't too far apart. Nevadaref's assertion that "a standing player in possession of the ball may always jump into the air" may be generally true. However, as Cameron Rust pointed out, the actual interpretation reads "before releasing the ball to start a dribble", which is illegal by rule (Rule 4-4-b: Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble).

The conflict seems to stem from the split second between the ball being released and the ball hitting the floor and then touched again as a dribble. If the player in the interpretation had decided to pass or shoot with said foot off the floor instead of dribbling (ball hits floor and is touched again), under those conditions (pass, shot) I believe that these two conditions would all be legal.

But none of those two things happened, the interpretation only says "dribble" which is clearly illegal by Rule 4-4-b.

Of course in a real game, under real game conditions (and with this interpretation), not too many officials would be that picky (and patient) interpreting what a "dribble" is by waiting for the ball to be released, hit the floor, and be touched a second time (remember the call is travelling not an illegal (double) dribble). In 1964 United States Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart famously stated “I know it (pornography) when I see it”. Likewise, most experienced officials know the release and start of a dribble when they "see it". Most experienced officials also know a release to pass or shoot when they "see it".

Just be careful with this (pass, shot) on a written exam.

Note that David landed simultaneously on both feet, so either foot may be the pivot foot. Venus de Milo's right foot is on the floor, I think that her left foot may be missing.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 22, 2020 at 09:08am.
Old Sat Oct 24, 2020, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the confusing ruling in #3 yet. The ruling says the team will not get the benefit of the throw-in at the division line, when I believe what they meant to write is that the team will not get the benefit of the throw-in at the spot nearest the location of the international foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Oct 24, 2020, 08:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS ...

Quote:
SITUATION 3: A1, who is dribbling the ball, is intentionally fouled as the signal to end the third quarter sounds. The official administers the free throws as a part of the third quarter and starts the fourth quarter by awarding the throw-in at the spot nearest the spot of the intentional foul. Team B has the possession arrow. RULING: The official correctly administered the free throws as a part of the third quarter. The team will not get the benefit of throw-in at the division line because the quarter ended. No penalty or part of a penalty should be carried over to the next quarter or extra period except when a correctable error is involved. The fourth quarter should begin with a throw-in by Team B, which has the possession arrow. (4-19-3c; 5-6-2 EXCEPTION 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the confusing ruling in #3 yet. The ruling says the team will not get the benefit of the throw-in at the division line, when I believe what they meant to write is that the team will not get the benefit of the throw-in at the spot nearest the location of the international foul.
Nice catch crosscountry55.

Wow? So Team B, which has the possession arrow, starts the fourth quarter with throw-in at the spot nearest the spot of the intentional foul?

I guess that being half right is better than not being right at all?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 24, 2020 at 12:22pm.