View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Substitute Coach ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... Once the coach, with no assistants, is ejected ...
Many, many years ago, when I was still teaching middle school science and coaching girls middle school basketball, our middle school boys coach got ejected from a game, and per state interscholastic sports guidelines had to sit out the next game. He had no assistant so the principal asked me (having state coaching certification, first aid, CPR, etc.) to coach the boys team.

Next game was against our cross town rivals.

I hadn't seen the boys play all season long, and only knew a few of the boys on the team because they were in my science class.

The point guard/captain was a student in my science class and I knew that he was very intelligent, so I put him in charge of calling all the plays. The only thing I did was decide to go box and one to try to contain their best player. We lost and that best player opponent is now a basketball official on my local board and reminds me of that loss every time that I see him.

A reason for the loss may have been that I played ten boys. All the starters got a breather in each half, even if for only for a minute or two. After the game several parents came up to me and thanked me for coaching. A few thanked me for playing their sons, even if only for a few minutes. Apparently the coach used a "star system" and played only his best players for as long as possible, for thirty-two minutes in most cases. A few of these parents told me that their sons hadn't come off the bench all season long. Parents of a special education student were especially thankful. I guess that I figured out why a few boys would usually quit the team each and every season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)