View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Minds Think Alike ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
SITUATION 9: A1, while being defended, is driving from near the free-throw line extended toward the end line. A1 continues toward the end line and pulls up and goes airborne just before the boundary line with his/her momentum carrying him/her out of bounds. Just as A1 goes airborne, he/she passes off to a teammate across the lane and lands out of bounds. RULING: No violation. A player’s momentum, after performing legal actions on the court that results in taking him/her out of bounds is not a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. However, if A1 purposely or deceitfully delays returning after legally being out of bounds to gain an advantage, a player technical foul would be assessed. (4-4-3, 9-3-3, 10-4-2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#9. No problem with what it says, but I wish they'd change the rule about delaying the return inbounds to be a violation. It will almost never get calls as a T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My last NFHS rule change suggestion was near the end of last season:

9-3-4 A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
Penalty: The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.
Rationale: Many officials don't call players for purposely delaying returning in bounds.

This would have made the penalty for a player purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds the same as the penalty for a player leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

This suggestion made its way through my IAABO local and state board, and my state interscholastic sports governing body, and was passed through to the final agenda items of the NFHS Rules Committee, but it wasn't accepted.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 17, 2020 at 08:36am.