The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 04:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With End Of Game Scenarios ...

I just pulled these quiz questions off the Better Official End Of Game Scenarios You Tube video:

1) Team A receives a technical foul after time runs out in regulation with team B trailing by two points. Team B makes both the technical foul free throws. How is the extra period begun?
a) With a jump ball.
b) With a throw-in to team A.
c) With a throw-in to team B as the result of the technical foul.
d) With a throw-in to whichever team has the alternating-possession arrow in its favor.

2) With team A leading by six points, which of the following is/are true when at the end of the 4th period, B1 is fouled on a successful try and the timer is unable to stop the clock before time expires after the foul with the ball still in the air.
a) B1’s goal is awarded. No free throw is shot.
b) B1 is awarded two free throws.
c) B1 is awarded one free throw.
d) B1’s goal is canceled.

3) Before beginning an extra period, Team A’s head coach receives a technical foul. The extra period will begin with:
a) Team B shooting two free throws.
b) Following the free throws, a jump at the center circle.
c) Team B awarded a throw-in at the division line.
d) Team B shoots 2 FTS and is awarded a division line throw-in.

4) While the ball is in flight on a try for goal, time expires. The try is successful making the score A 61 – B 60. Before the officials’ jurisdiction has ended, A1 is charged with a technical foul. Neither free throw is successful. The official rules the game is over. ls the official correct?
a) Yes
b) No

5) With the score tied A3 releases the ball on a try. The horn ending the game sounds during the flight of the ball. Before A3 returns to the ground he is fouled by B3. The shot misses and A3 will be awarded two free throws. A3 is a little shaken up and the team A coach calls a timeout prior to the first free throw to allow A3 to compose himself. A3 misses the first free throw and then the team B coach requests a time out. The request is:
a) Granted
b) Denied

Who wants to play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

1. A
2. A
3. D
4. A
5. B
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. A
2. A
3. D
4. A
5. B
Agreed.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed.
I also agree.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 09:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Job Guys ...

Thanks for playing.

4-43-2: A successive time-out is one which is granted to either team before the clock has started following the previous time-out.

5-11-7: Successive time-outs, as in 4-43-2, must not be granted after the expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period.

5-6-Exceptions:
3. If a foul occurs so near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires or after time expires, but while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal, the quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified. No free throw(s) must be attempted after time has expired for the fourth quarter or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.

4. If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the fourth quarter, provided there is to be an extra period. If there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been part of the preceding quarter.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 17, 2020 at 09:41pm.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2020, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I would have scored 80%. In 2020, the one I missed would also be incorrect (at least in my area). We would not start OT with a jump ball. We would start the OT with a coin toss to determine who will get the ball first.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2020, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I would have scored 80%. In 2020, the one I missed would also be incorrect (at least in my area). We would not start OT with a jump ball. We would start the OT with a coin toss to determine who will get the ball first.
Yet that is still adhering to the same rule. Your area is simply substituting a coin toss for an official tossing the ball due to health protocols.
The point is that you are starting the extra period with a TOSS of some kind, rather than awarding possession due to the AP arrow or as part of the penalty from a technical foul.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2020, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

This does not take into account local coronavirus modifications. Under standard rules, OT would begin with a jump ball, unless technical foul or other free throws were attempted and made, resulting in the score being tied, forcing an extra period to be played. Apparently, CA will use jump balls as normal once their basketball season resumes in January.

VHSL will not have jump balls this season (a temporary modification), but MPSSAA and DCSAA apparently will (at least there are no indications that there will be a deviation from the standard rules).
Old Wed Nov 18, 2020, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
This does not take into account local coronavirus modifications.
How could a national publication take into account any local modifications??
Old Wed Nov 18, 2020, 11:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
This does not take into account local coronavirus modifications. Under standard rules, OT would begin with a jump ball, unless technical foul or other free throws were attempted and made, resulting in the score being tied, forcing an extra period to be played. Apparently, CA will use jump balls as normal once their basketball season resumes in January.

VHSL will not have jump balls this season (a temporary modification), but MPSSAA and DCSAA apparently will (at least there are no indications that there will be a deviation from the standard rules).
The rules of the games have not changed. There might be some modifications because of this current situation, but that has nothing to do with these situations. Nor would they try to change rules to accommodate multiple local issues.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 19, 2020, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I just pulled these quiz questions off the Better Official End Of Game Scenarios You Tube video:

4) While the ball is in flight on a try for goal, time expires. The try is successful making the score A 61 – B 60. Before the officials’ jurisdiction has ended, A1 is charged with a technical foul. Neither free throw is successful. The official rules the game is over. ls the official correct?
a) Yes
b) No

Who wants to play?
I'm answering not enough information given. If A1 committed unsporting conduct, then sure the official is right. But if A1 did nothing then the official is incorrect in charging a technical foul ;-)
Old Thu Nov 19, 2020, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I'm answering not enough information given. If A1 committed unsporting conduct, then sure the official is right. But if A1 did nothing then the official is incorrect in charging a technical foul ;-)
The question is asking whether the official is correct that the game is over.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2020, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yogi's Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 19, 2020 at 03:37pm.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2020, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Oh, that makes more sense then.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2020, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

In that case, that is correct. The game is over barring any additional shenanigans by A.