The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So these endline tickmarks have a throwin purpose? I thought they were for the Lower Defensive Box used in NCAA women's rules.

The Lower Defensive Box also referred to as the LDB is an imaginary box on the floor that uses four marks the two tick marks on the endline and both second Lane space marks on the free-throw Lane as reference points this box is used to determine a player control or blocking foul on a secondary defender located in the restricted area when a player with the ball starts her move from within the LDB there is no restricted area otherwise when a player with the ball starts her move from outside the LDB the restricted area rule is still in effect.
They are for the women's LDB and when the new rule came out they told us to use those marks as a guide for the endline demarcation throw-ins. I actually don't know if men's "requires" those tickmarks but those are the marks we are told to use. And since almost all college floors are used for men's and women's games that wasn't a problem.

And I believe NCAA-W has since adopted the men's rule about lines of demarcation and throw-in spots.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle ...

Quote:
... The location of all throw-ins in the frontcourt will be determined by an imaginary line drawn from the corner of the court to the intersection of the lane line and the free-throw line ...
Does the NCAA also use the Rocket Ship Diagram to decide endline or sideline (ignore the extra NFHS arrows and add some NCAA hash marks)?

The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle

Note: It sure feels great to post about basketball rules on the Forum instead of posting on social justice issues, or the coronavirus. I sure hope that we have high school basketball this upcoming season here in Connecticut. The only indoor fall sport in Connecticut is girls volleyball and the CIAC and the State Department of Health is requiring that volleyball players wear masks at all times, even when playing. Could the same mask rules apply to basketball in the winter?

Meanwhile, some school systems/schools/grades/classrooms in Connecticut have had to temporarily close (moving to online learning) due to COVID cases. If COVID has this effect on curricular activities, what effect will we see on extracurricular activities, especially when people start moving back indoors as the weather gets colder?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 16, 2020 at 11:36am.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does the NCAA also use the Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle for deciding endline or sideline (ignore the extra NFHS arrows)?

Semicircle goes to the sideline. Other than that, yes - that is what I mean by "lines of demarcation."
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Good Of The Cause ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

First, I just wanted to let everyone know that all of the information I am providing is for NCAA-W.

The 28-foot mark is there as a guideline for the bench area when a timeout is granted. This area is from the 28-foot line to end line and goes from the chair area to first lane line closest to the teams bench. As for the tick marks opposite of the 28-foot mark those are used for the opition to advance when the offense calls a timeout under 59.9. Also, it serves a dual purpopse for a throw when there is a kick ball by the defense and a single foul by the defense in which the offense has a throw in.

The LDB, Lower Defensive Box, tick marks are used for the kick/fisted ball by the defense and a single foul committed by the defense.

All throw-ins will occur at one of the four spots, 28-foot mark, 28-foot mark opposotie of the bench, two LDB tick mraks, closes to where the said violation or foul took place. The use of the diagram that was in place regarding throw-ins still is used. These spots are just where they take place.

I hope this information helps.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Take The Copyright Money And Run ...

Quote:
... the Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle ...
Whatever happened to Back In The Saddle?

(5,289 posts, most recent April 22, 2012)

I ask because he may be one of the handful of Forum posters that have changed their usernames over the years.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 12:15pm.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
First, I just wanted to let everyone know that all of the information I am providing is for NCAA-W.

The 28-foot mark is there as a guideline for the bench area when a timeout is granted. This area is from the 28-foot line to end line and goes from the chair area to first lane line closest to the teams bench. As for the tick marks opposite of the 28-foot mark those are used for the opition to advance when the offense calls a timeout under 59.9. Also, it serves a dual purpopse for a throw when there is a kick ball by the defense and a single foul by the defense in which the offense has a throw in.

The LDB, Lower Defensive Box, tick marks are used for the kick/fisted ball by the defense and a single foul committed by the defense.

All throw-ins will occur at one of the four spots, 28-foot mark, 28-foot mark opposotie of the bench, two LDB tick mraks, closes to where the said violation or foul took place. The use of the diagram that was in place regarding throw-ins still is used. These spots are just where they take place.

The 28 foot marks are used in Men's basketball for throw-in spots on the sideline for all throw-ins except out of bounds violations (goes to the spot of the violation in that case). And the tick marks on the endline are used for marking of the "post area" where some contact can be different than outside the area. So both markings have a purpose in the NCAA Men's side.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Enquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
Sure does. Thanks JBleach85.

Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Semicircle goes to the sideline. Other than that, yes - that is what I mean by "lines of demarcation."
Not in NCAAW -- it goes to the endline. 7-3-2c
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

You're welcome BillyMac
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Men Men Men (Monty Python) ...

They want it now, they want it where, they want it when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... the tick marks on the endline are used for marking of the "post area" where some contact can be different than outside the area. So both markings have a purpose in the NCAA Men's side.
Thanks JRutledge.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 12:14pm.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Single Rule Set ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why can't the NCAA men and the NCAA women get together and use a single rule set, and just change the size of the basketball?

This works just fine for NFHS boys and girls high school rules.

Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Every Time I Call This The Rocket Ship Diagram ...

... the Forum pays Back In The Saddle a dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 12:19pm.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why can't the NCAA men and the NCAA women get together and use a single rule set, and just change the size of the basketball?

Coaches.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 12:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

One makes over a billion on their NCAA Tournament and the other loses money.

And the people that officiate are not the same. So there you go.

Peace