Old Sun May 24, 2020, 03:15am
This IS My Social Life

NFHS 2020,21 POE's

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource...hasis-2020-21/

Block/Charge
Use of Proper Signals and the Reporting Area
Palming/Carrying
Clarification of Intentional and Flagrant Fouls

Last edited by Freddy; Sun May 24, 2020 at 03:19am.
Old Sun May 24, 2020, 03:16am
This IS My Social Life

Part 1

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2020-21
By NFHS on May 21, 2020

These Points of Emphasis are not in priority order and are considered of equal importance to coaches and officials.

BLOCK/CHARGE

By definition, “a block or charge foul” occurs when a defender impedes his/her opponent to stop him/her from going in that direction. If he/she does not obtain a legal defensive position and contact occurs, it is a blocking foul.

The obtaining and maintaining of a legal guarding position on a player with and without the ball has been a point of emphasis over the years, but yet, remains one of the most difficult plays to coach and officiate.

A. The basics.

To correctly understand the guarding rule, the following points are critical:

To obtain initial legal guarding position on a player with the ball, the defender must get to the spot first without contact, have both feet touching the floor and initially face the opponent within six feet.
Once the initial legal guarding position has been obtained, the defender may move laterally or at an angle or backwards in order to maintain a legal guarding position. Keep in mind that when a defender obtains an initial position with both feet touching the floor and facing his/her opponent, the defender need not be stationary but may continue to move in order to stay in front of the person with the ball.
Once the defender obtains a legal guarding position, the defender may raise his/her hands in a normal stance or may jump vertically within his/her vertical plane.
A defender may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact.
A player is never permitted to move into the path of an opponent after the opponent has jumped into the air.
A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent and causes contact is not considered to be in a legal guarding position.

B. Guarding a player with the ball.

Points to remember when a defender is guarding a player with the ball:

Time and distance are of no consequence. If the defender gets to the spot first and is in a legal guarding position, the onus is on the person with the ball.
A defender is never permitted to move into an opponent and thus cause contact.
If a player with the ball gets his/her shoulders past the front of the torso of the defender and contact occurs, the defender has blocked and a foul must be called. In order for the defender to re-obtain a legal guarding position, all “guarding a person with the ball” criteria must be met.
When an offensive player receives a long pass with his/her back turned and places one foot on the floor and crashes into a legally set defender, it is a player-control foul. It seems many officials are calling this a traveling violation, which is incorrect.

C. Guarding a player without the ball.

Time and distance are the key factors here. The distance allowed depends on the speed in which the offensive player is moving, with the distance never to exceed two strides, regardless of how fast he or she is moving. Once the defender has met the criteria of both feet touching the court and initially facing the opponent, the defender has obtained a legal guarding position and may move the same as if he/she were guarding a player with the ball.

Use of proper signals and the reporting area

One of the most important tenets of good officiating is good communication. The easiest and quickest way for officials to establish credibility is to effectively communicate with players, coaches, spectators, and the scorer’s table during a high school basketball game. When officials properly and effectively communicate with all stakeholders during a contest, their judgement is less questioned, their confidence is heightened, and their over-all game management is improved.

Good communication centers on the use of proper signals and mechanics. Signals are verbal and non-verbal means of communication by officials and are required by rule. Each time the whistle is sounded in a basketball game, there is an accompanying signal. Virtually all NFHS Basketball-related publications contain the approved list of signals officials should use. Meanwhile, mechanics are the methods or procedures used by officials while officiating the game that help put the official in the best possible position to provide proper court coverage and to provide effective communication to the table officials.

Officials shall be professional in the use of approved signals and mechanics and should not attempt to draw attention to themselves by the use of unapproved, emphatic, or theatrical signs. Adherence to prescribed NFHS signals and mechanics presents an environment where the officials are in charge and the game is well-officiated.

Whether calling a violation or a foul, anytime an official blows his/her whistle, he/she shall also raise his/her hand to stop the clock. If a violation is being called, the official will extend one arm above the head with an open palm/fingers extended, while if a foul is being called, the official will raise one arm high above the head with the fist clenched.

When a violation is observed, an official shall complete the following after blowing his/her whistle and stopping the clock:

Move towards the area of the violation.
Signal the nature of the violation.
Signal the direction for the throw-in and the team to make the throw-in by stating the jersey color.
Indicate the throw-in spot.
All officials are responsible for contact rulings and all fouls. It is imperative that the following procedure be used in this order after an official blows his/her whistle and raising his/her arm to stop the clock:

(if necessary for player clarification) Delay and extend the other hand, palm down toward the fouling player’s hips (i.e., “bird dog”).
While holding the foul signal, move toward the play and fouling player, stop, and verbally inform the player he/she fouled by stating the jersey color and number.
Lower the foul signal and indicate the nature of the foul by giving a preliminary signal using the approved NFHS signal.
Indicate what will follow as a result of the foul (throw-in, free throws, made basket, etc.).
After signaling what will result, wait for players to separate, particularly if they are in close proximity to one another, and then move to the reporting area to announce the foul to the scorer. In general, the reporting area is a rectangular area that runs from the middle of the top of the free throw circle on each end of the floor to an area approximately 10’ towards the scorer’s table.
Once in the reporting area, the official will come to a complete stop before communicating with the official scorer.
Slowly state the color of the jersey of the player who fouled. Visually indicate the number of the player who fouled using a two-handed signal (right hand shows the ten’s digit and the left hand shows the single’s digit) while verbalizing the number to the scorer.
Indicate the type of foul committed.
Indicate what activity should follow (throw-in, free throws, etc.)
For a complete description of all 2-person and 3-person mechanics, please refer to the NFHS Basketball Officials Manual.
Old Sun May 24, 2020, 03:17am
This IS My Social Life

Part 2

Palming/Carrying

Across the country, more and more players are being allowed to illegally dribble the basketball. Likely, a combination of increased viewing of other players doing this act and poor enforcement of the rules by officials has led to this decline in proper fundamentals.

The dribble begins by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted. (4-15-3) The act of palming/carryingis when the dribbler allows the ball to come to rest in one or both hands and then continues dribbling. (4-15-4b) This causes the dribble to end and is a violation.

Clarification of Intentional and Flagrant Fouls

There is a distinct difference between an Intentional Foul and a Flagrant Foul. A foul should be ruled an Intentional Foul when a player, while playing the ball, causes excessive contact. It should be called away from the ball when it’s a non-basketball play. These are considered either personal or technical fouls.

A Flagrant Foul is violent in nature or a noncontact play demonstrating unacceptable or uncivil behavior. The penalty for a Flagrant Foul is immediate ejection.

There is a concern that there is lack of enforcement for Intentional Fouls. Fouling has become a strategic part at the end of game and officials need to understand the differences between common fouls, Intentional Fouls, and Flagrant Fouls and have the conviction to make the correct call. Was it a basketball play or simply an attempt to stop the clock? As an official, getting the first foul is critical and will help prevent the game from becoming more physical.

Intentional Foul

4-19-ART. 3 An Intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Intentional fouls include, but are not limited to:

Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position.
Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play.
Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting.
Excessive contact with an opponent while the ball is live or until an airborne shooter returns to the floor.
Contact with a thrower-in as in 9-2-10 PENALTY 4.
Flagrant Foul

4-19-ART.4 A flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of a violent, savage or uncivil nature, or a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable conduct. It may or may not be intentional. If personal, it involves, but is not limited to violent contact such as: striking, kicking and kneeing. If technical, it involves dead-ball contact or noncontact at any time which is extreme or persistent, vulgar or abusive conduct. Fighting is a flagrant act.
Old Sun May 24, 2020, 08:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Palming/Carrying ...

The act of palming/carrying is when the dribbler allows the ball to come to rest in one or both hands and then continues dribbling.

I occasionally will call palming/carrying when the ball handler "cups" the ball in one hand and takes steps (usually around a corner) in excess of the travel rule (without waiting for the ball to be next dribbled). Technically a travel, but aren't other forms of carrying technically an illegal (double) dribble?

From my Misunderstood Rules list: Palming, or carrying, is when the ball comes to rest in the dribbler's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or illegally dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the dribbler’s hand stays on top of the ball, and the ball does not come to rest in the dribbler’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 24, 2020 at 08:33am.
Old Sun May 24, 2020, 10:02am
Do not give a damn!!

I am wondering if during this "lockdown" that they have been seen the pure ignorance from officials across the country about what is a Block-Charge call should be as part of the influence. I have seen a lot of these plays posted all over social media only to find officials using terms or terminology that does not fit the rule. I have to think someone was seeing this and felt the need to put this out there. Most of the plays I have seen have been block-charge calls.

Peace
Old Mon May 25, 2020, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am wondering if during this "lockdown" that they have been seen the pure ignorance from officials across the country about what is a Block-Charge call should be as part of the influence. I have seen a lot of these plays posted all over social media only to find officials using terms or terminology that does not fit the rule. I have to think someone was seeing this and felt the need to put this out there. Most of the plays I have seen have been block-charge calls.

Peace
So true.

I am really tired of seeing ignorant responses to block/charge plays in social media. And then when you ask them to cite the rule support for their idiotic opinion, they get all defensive and say they don’t need the rules.
Old Mon May 25, 2020, 09:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
So true.

I am really tired of seeing ignorant responses to block/charge plays in social media. And then when you ask them to cite the rule support for their idiotic opinion, they get all defensive and say they don’t need the rules.
How true this is. Especially the part about them being defensive. You ask them a simple question or to clarify something and they say "well that's just might judgment and we agree to disagree".

Good luck trying to communicate with coaches and supervisors with that attitude.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon May 25, 2020 at 08:10pm.
Old Mon May 25, 2020, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How true this is. Especially the part about them being defensive. You ask them a simple question or to clarify something and they say "well that's just might judgment and we agree to disagree".

Good luck trying to communicate with coaches and supervisors with an attitude.

So true.

The best is a thread I saw recently where there was a clear unsporting act by a player, and everyone except one poster in the thread said they would T the player. The one poster was convinced he had the best game management skills because he would let the kid slide and that he "didn't need the rules." He doubled down each time he got challenged, hurling insults as well, until people eventually just gave up/the mods kicked him out.

I inferred that he was merely a street ball official and honestly a lot of the clowns in those groups probably are. But I have seen some officials that work (or at least, they claim to) college basketball and just post ridiculous nonsense with no rules support that only they believe.
Old Mon May 25, 2020, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Good luck trying to communicate with coaches and supervisors with an attitude.

Agree. Way too much of the time, people just want to wing it rather than base it on the rules.
Old Mon May 25, 2020, 06:53pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Maybe it's just my part of Rome, but Freddy and others that have observed camps & scrimmages I've attended have discouraged use of the bird dog because the use of a good preliminary signal at the spot of the foul ("White 5 with a push. Blue ball on the side.") tells those involved what they need to know. I can't help wondering what other areas have this philosophy despite the newest POE.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue May 26, 2020, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Maybe it's just my part of Rome, but Freddy and others that have observed camps & scrimmages I've attended have discouraged use of the bird dog because the use of a good preliminary signal at the spot of the foul ("White 5 with a push. Blue ball on the side.") tells those involved what they need to know. I can't help wondering what other areas have this philosophy despite the newest POE.
POEs never amount to much during the season, in my experience. States will have their own expectations and philosophies for rules and mechanics.

I don't give prelims except on block/charge plays. The NFHS really needs to get that requirement out of the manual because it's really stupid and hardly anyone does it. There is no need to give a prelim on non block/charge plays 95% (at least) of the time.

I will occasionally bird dog if I feel I need to clarify who the foul was on for the coaches, but my mechanic does not look like the chart. That mechanic probably needs to go away, too.

The NFHS mechanics manual has not kept up with the modern-day trends and philosophies in officiating and they refuse to update it, hence why using "approved mechanics" seems to be rammed down our throats every year. Heck even the most purist officials I know often are not giving prelims on every foul, which is one reason why I always chuckle whenever someone preaches at us about needing to do everything exactly the way the book states.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue May 26, 2020 at 10:29am. Reason: clarification
Old Tue May 26, 2020, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
POEs never amount to much during the season, in my experience. States will have their own expectations and philosophies for rules and mechanics.

I don't give prelims except on block/charge plays. The NFHS really needs to get that requirement out of the manual because it's really stupid and hardly anyone does it. There is no need to give a prelim on non block/charge plays 95% (at least) of the time.

I will occasionally bird dog if I feel I need to clarify who the foul was on for the coaches, but my mechanic does not look like the chart. That mechanic probably needs to go away, too.

The NFHS mechanics manual has not kept up with the modern-day trends and philosophies in officiating and they refuse to update it, hence why using "approved mechanics" seems to be rammed down our throats every year. Heck even the most purist officials I know often are not giving prelims on every foul, which is one reason why I always chuckle whenever someone preaches at us about needing to do everything exactly the way the book states.
We (Oregon) strongly teach new officials to do prelims on EVERYTHING. While we "require" it of everyone, we're less picky for the top end. Why? It gets new officials to slow down and get their call and the details of the call down before running to the table in a hurry only to be scrambling to figure out what to communicate. We don't however, teach the birddog unless there is a scrum and it helps separate the one person out from the mass.
Old Tue May 26, 2020, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well we are asked in our state to give a prelim signal for all fouls. It was told to us to do that at the State Final Level the last few times I personally was there. And I can tell you that it was hard to do it on every foul. I know I did not give the signal on many fouls during the 2 games I worked in 2019. But it did not prevent me from working the title game or prevent me from really any opportunity. So it sounds like it is mostly lip-service and that they are looking at other things than your signally.

Also on the bird-dogging front. I still do it from time to time. But I only do it when there is a crowd or there is confusion. And it is still advocated at the NCAA level I work as well. Just had it discussed at an online camp I attended a couple of weeks ago and the speaker said that we should still use it and it is still in the book, which it is. I remember when it was required to do on all fouls and I know I did not do it all the time then. So there is that.

Peace
Old Tue May 26, 2020, 12:53pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Since those camps and scrimmages referenced by Stat-Man, the state of Michigan adopted a revised set of approved mechanics. The section regarding "At the Site of the Foul" is posted below, not to insist upon one detail right or wrong in comparison to what the NFHS or other states have approved, merely FYI.

At the Site of the Foul

When a foul is observed by an official, the following signaling and mechanic procedure must be followed:

1. Sound the whistle with a single sharp blast while raising one hand, fist clenched, straight and high above the head, the stop-the-clock signal for a foul.

2. Pointing at or to the person who fouls (the “bird dog” signal) must be avoided. If clarification is needed to distinguish between players in close proximity, verbalization must identify the player who committed the foul.

3. While holding the stop-the-clock, move toward the play and near the fouling player, stop and verbally inform the player that he fouled by stating the jersey color and number.

4. Lower the foul signal and indicate the nature of the foul by giving an approved preliminary signal (optional), followed by an indication of whether or not a score must be counted and/or the number of free throws resulting or the location of the subsequent throw-in.

5. If a player control foul is committed, the approved signal sequence is: a. Stop the clock with a raised arm and closed fist accompanied by the whistle. b. Player control foul signal. c. A directional signal with a closed fist (a “punch”) pointing in the direction of the non-fouling team’s end line.

6. If a team control (non-player control) foul is committed, the approved signal sequence is: a. Stop the clock with a raised arm and closed fist accompanied by the whistle. b. A directional signal with a closed fist (a “punch”) pointing in the direction of the non-fouling team’s end line.

7. If the foul is a shooting foul and the try was unsuccessful, give the approved signal for the number of free throws to follow while at the site and verbalize of the type of foul committed. NOTE: Officials should not use any signal or verbiage referencing the shooter being “on the floor” in order to indicate the foul will not result in free throws.

8. Before leaving the site, verbalize the number of the player shooting free throws, if applicable, expressing the number of free throws to the non-calling officials, or point to the location of the throw-in.

9. If a goal has been legally scored, use the “goal counts” signal, followed by either the two or three-point signal, depending on the number of points awarded.

10. If a score is not to be awarded, immediately cancel the attempt with the ”no score” signal. Verbalization of whichever signals are used is recommended.

11. The ruling official must not be in a rush to leave the area if players are in close proximity or on the floor. Attend to the dead-ball situation at the point of the play before leaving to report to the scorer.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue May 26, 2020 at 12:57pm.
Old Tue May 26, 2020, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, Bird Dog Get Away From My Quail (The Everly Brothers, 1958) …

Quote:
I will occasionally bird dog if I feel I need to clarify who the foul was on for the coaches ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We don't however, teach the birddog unless there is a scrum and it helps separate the one person out from the mass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also on the bird-dogging front. I still do it from time to time. But I only do it when there is a crowd or there is confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... Pointing at or to the person who fouls (the “bird dog” signal) must be avoided. If clarification is needed to distinguish between players in close proximity, verbalization must identify the player who committed the foul.
Here in 100% IAABO Connecticut, we use IAABO mechanics: When clarification is necessary, extend the other arm, with palm down, toward the fouler's midsection (birddog).

As SC Official, Camron Rust, and JRutledge already stated so elegantly, we don't birddog all the time, only as an option when clarification is necessary.

Regarding Freddy's post, we teach our guys that when clarification is necessary to birddog toward the player's hip, any higher, especially at the head, can be viewed by player as aggressive and an encroachment into his personal space and is to be avoided.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 26, 2020 at 01:51pm.