View Single Post
Old Sun May 24, 2020, 08:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Palming/Carrying ...

The act of palming/carrying is when the dribbler allows the ball to come to rest in one or both hands and then continues dribbling.

I occasionally will call palming/carrying when the ball handler "cups" the ball in one hand and takes steps (usually around a corner) in excess of the travel rule (without waiting for the ball to be next dribbled). Technically a travel, but aren't other forms of carrying technically an illegal (double) dribble?

From my Misunderstood Rules list: Palming, or carrying, is when the ball comes to rest in the dribbler's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or illegally dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the dribbler’s hand stays on top of the ball, and the ball does not come to rest in the dribbler’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 24, 2020 at 08:33am.