The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 06, 2020, 02:02pm
Ok is the new good

New Rules 2020

Any word on any new rules or interpretations for 2020?

Any ideas how COVID 19 will impact rules on player safety and officials?
Old Wed May 06, 2020, 04:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Usually, the rules do not come out until around the middle of the month. So we might have another week or more before they announce them.

Peace
Old Wed May 06, 2020, 04:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

I know your question is probably concerning NFHS, but the NCAA has put out a bulletin stating that any rules changes that require financial investment by member institutions are being delayed another year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed May 06, 2020, 05:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I know your question is probably concerning NFHS, but the NCAA has put out a bulletin stating that any rules changes that require financial investment by member institutions are being delayed another year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The OhioHSAA sent out an email last week stating that the NFHS would use the 2019-20 Baseball and Softball Rules, Casebooks, and Simplified & Illustrated books would be the Rules Set for the 2020-21 school year because very few States even played a partial season this Spring. A 2020-22 Baseball Umpires Manual will be published; the current Softball Umpires Manual is for 2019-21 school years.

Who knows what is store for the Fall and Winter Sports.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 07, 2020, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

With Bated Breath ...

While the NFHS press release on the new Basketball Rules for 2019-20 was dated May 22, 2019, esteemed and non-esteemed Forum members started discussing the new rules on May 15, 2019.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 07, 2020 at 12:24pm.
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Old Wine; New Flask

I for one would expect there to be no announcement of "new rules"--per se; but rather an avowed emphasis on certain selected pre-existing rules to be enforced. Seeing that said "pre-existing rules" would be selected for emphasis by an ad-hoc meeting of our superiors that would decide which rules that we officials are required to emphasize in season 20-21; furthermore, the consequences of non-compliance.
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 10:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Like Peanut Butter Without Jelly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I for one would expect there to be no announcement of "new rules"
Hey? What would annual NFHS rule changes be without some reference to fashion issues?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon May 11, 2020, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

New Rules Announced for 2020-2021

Peace
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Yet another shot clock proposal shot down.
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

The game is going to hell and a handbasket. How do we move on?

Peace
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I viewed the hyperlink JRut provided; I must say that those "rules changes" were not--and I use the word with all due respect--significant at all.
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The game is going to hell and a handbasket. How do we move on?

Peace
And what's funny is the same sensationalist crowd will still pay money to go see games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I viewed the hyperlink JRut provided; I must say that those "rules changes" were not--and I use the word with all due respect--significant at all.
Pretty standard for NFHS. Every few years there is something "significant," but more often than not this is the norm.
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Press Release ...

Game Forfeiture Process Clarified in 2020-21 High School Basketball Rules Changes
By NFHS on May 11, 2020

Beginning next year, high school basketball rules will further clarify when a contest is to be forfeited, including if a qualified individual is not present to coach.

A proposal for a national rule mandating a shot clock as well as a proposal to allow a shot clock by state adoption were not approved.

“Information was given to the Basketball Rules Committee that shared the votes in individual states on how coaches and officials voted in support of or non-support of the shot clock rule,” said Theresia Wynns, NFHS director of sports and liaison to the Basketball Rules Committee. “The conversation among the committee members explored the pros and cons of enacting the proposal as a rule for all states and likewise for state adoption. The committee will continue to explore the shot clock issue.”

Rule 5-4-1 was one of three rules updated by the committee. It now states that a game is declared a forfeit if a coach is removed from the contest for unsporting conduct and no authorized school personnel are present to assume responsibility of the team.

“Most states have bylaws to cover the instance when no adult school staff is on the bench to attend to the team. Officials are not likely to read those bylaws and consequently not know that rule,” Wynns said. “Having the basketball rules cover such a situation helps the contest officials and coaches alike if such a situation were to arise.”

Rule 10-6-1 Penalty was also amended to clarify that an official is not required to provide a warning to a coach before a technical foul is given.

“This amends an existing rule that gave the impression that a warning was a prerequisite to ruling a technical foul,” Wynns. “Using the word ‘may’ helps one to understand that a warning is only an option.”

A timer’s responsibilities were addressed in Rule 2-12-5 when a player is disqualified or injured. A warning signal is sounded to begin a 15-second interval to replace a disqualified or injured player. A second warning signal was added when the 15 seconds expires to prepare teams for the resumption of play.

Old Mon May 11, 2020, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Are Outta Here ...

Here in Connecticut, officials have been told by our state interscholastic sports governing body that once the coach, with no assistants, is ejected, the ejected coach has fifteen minutes to be replaced by a non-student over the age of eighteen. It is not the officials responsibility to check for proof of proper certification, we don't even ask. No replacement after fifteen minutes leads a forfeit by the team without a coach, even if they are leading in the game.

Never comes up in high school varsity or junior varsity games, but does occasionally come up in high school freshman games (especially the visiting team), or middle school games.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 01:00pm.
Old Mon May 11, 2020, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I actually had such a situation come up 2 years ago working a middle school basketball game. Away coach gets ejected and has to leave, he grabs his clipboard and is out the door before we get lined up to shoot the free throws. There are no assistants or other personnel from the school available. The home school's AD came up and asked if a parent could coach, but knowing those pesky state by-laws and having had it mentioned a few times in state clinics over the past 20 years for various sports, I explained that no, a parent could not cover unless they were a school district employee. After a few seconds of thinking she then offered herself to sit on the bench and coach the visiting team. Since she was a district employee and it was a game between schools in the same district it was fine with me. The team actually played better without their coach and ended up losing by 5 when the were down by 15 when he got tossed. The time requirement isn't explecit here though, a "reasonable" amount of time is allowed, to me that means if they are working on a solution give them time, if they are just sitting there doing nothing let them know we need someone, if they still have no ideas call it, 15 minutes to wait for a plan is too long, but if someone is driving there right now, I'll wait if necessary, as that to me is reasonable.
Something like that also happened when I was in HS. I was the official scorekeeper for the varsity and JV teams, and the JV coach gets tossed and walk to the locker room. The refferee comes over to their bench as asks if there is another coach, I jump up and grab to baseball coach who is watching and was there to supervise the varsity game, we still joke about it today 18 years later.

Last edited by stratref; Mon May 11, 2020 at 04:37pm.