The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just In Case ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Ump-Attire is offering those masks in eight different colors and the b/w version; for each one ordered, UA will donate one to a local hospital or non-profit.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Company-N...-ll-Donate-One

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-...Mask-by-Smitty

Note, however, that they are not "medical grade," so I don't know how much they will actually benefit the hospitals and non-profits. Nonetheless, I ordered two, for me and my SO.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 10:15am
This IS My Social Life

I'm wondering if, due to the fear of "players to ball to hand to whistle to mouth" contamination issues, something new and different is on the horizon. Will the perception of us becoming negatively affected or infected by this oft-repeated practice of touching the ball then putting the whistle in our mouths result in something different whistle-wise?
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I'm wondering if, due to the fear of "players to ball to hand to whistle to mouth" contamination issues, something new and different is on the horizon. Will the perception of us becoming negatively affected or infected by this oft-repeated practice of touching the ball then putting the whistle in our mouths result in something different whistle-wise?
If we’re that scared of contamination we might as well get rid of sports.

Can’t live in fear forever.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Note, however, that they are not "medical grade," so I don't know how much they will actually benefit the hospitals and non-profits. Nonetheless, I ordered two, for me and my SO.
The only purpose for masks like these is to keep the wearer from possibly infecting others. They basically keep you from spitting across the room as you talk, that's about their only function.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I think these non-medical grade masks, like neck gaiters and bandanas, are primarily of psychological benefit. But then I'm pretty cynical about most things.

Last edited by LRZ; Tue Apr 21, 2020 at 11:32am.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 11:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Was That Masked Man ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The only purpose for masks like these is to keep the wearer from possibly infecting others. They basically keep you from spitting across the room as you talk, that's about their only function.
Agree.

One can be asymptomatic (and be feeling great) yet still have the corona virus, and that person can unknowingly spread the virus to others, including those that may be at high risk.

By executive order here in Connecticut (with a some exceptions) we're supposed to wear these masks in settings where it may be difficult to maintain social distancing (grocery stores, pharmacies, essential retail stores, essential workplaces, taxi, ride-sharing, public transit, etc.).

I wear my cloth surgical style mask when shopping, not to protect myself, but to protect others (an added bonus, the mask does keep me from touching the lower part of my face).

One of my daughters, an RN, has volunteered to perform corona virus tests (swab up the nose) at a drive-thru testing facility.

My other daughter is an OB/GYN. She can't say, "I'm sorry I can't deliver your baby because you're infected with the corona virus". She's also pregnant and has two kids and a husband at home.

Do I have a vested interest in "flattening the curve"? You bet I have.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 21, 2020 at 05:21pm.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2020, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Coincidentally, huffpost just published an article about the best face mask materials, looking at filtration and breathability:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/best-...b6a92100e63129
Old Thu Apr 23, 2020, 09:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Six Feet Closely Distanced ...

I recently participated in an IAABO International Zoom presentation.

While listening to the presenter (good stuff), I scrolled through the participants and came across a former member of my local board who retired and moved from Connecticut to the Southwest about twenty years ago.

I was able to dig up his email address and decided to reach out and yank his chain a little, a local custom here in Connecticut.

He's not on the the court but he does evaluate officials in his adopted state.

Here's how he concluded his email reply to me.

Stay well, wash your hands, and if anyone gets within six feet of you start a five-second count!

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 23, 2020 at 10:32am.