The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2020, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional Miss FT Situation

Had this come up in my game tonight and if I had it to do over again... Anyway here’s the situation for everyone’s benefit.

2.3 seconds left, Team A down by 2 with no timeouts left and A1 at the line for a final FT. Puzzlingly, HC B calls a timeout, which gives A a chance to think through their next move (you have to know when to let it ride and I think HC B gifted Team A a needed discussion here, but I digress...).

I take advantage of the TO to meet with my partners and talk about what is likely coming next: an intentional miss. We all agree it’s likely, but in all my years I’ve always seen intentional misses of the type where you throw it off the top of the square and hope it caroms off the front of the rim. Today was different. A1 farts a softball toward the table side of the rim. I’m C, with what I’m feeling is primary coverage on the rim. I see the ball miss and scrape the bottom of the backboard. “Tweet tweet tweet,” violation, clock started so let’s go put 2.3 back on. But then T comes over and says it nicked the rim. Well sugar....now I’ve got an embarrassing IW. So I just eat it, we go to the arrow (pointing toward A), explain it to the coaches (they were both of surprisingly understanding), and get the clock back to 2.3. Team A botches the throw in and turns it over, clock expires, and we run away.

When we had the chance, I wished we’d discussed this potential scenario. In the future, for this specific situation, I’ll make sure we have the trail as primary for any “graze” shots on table side when an intentional miss is possible or likely. So...food for everyone’s thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 30, 2020, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Don’t guess. See the action clearly, if you are going to have a whistle in such a situation. If you aren’t certain, don’t blow and let a partner with a better look handle it.
The C and T have to work together, each taking their side of the basket, to get these potential FT violations correct. With only 2.3 left on the clock and the likely scenario being a deliberate FT miss, the T should adjust closer to the basket in order to have a good look at this. There isn’t time for play to go to the other end of the court.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2020, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional Miss FT Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don’t guess. See the action clearly, if you are going to have a whistle in such a situation. If you aren’t certain, don’t blow and let a partner with a better look handle it.

I’m not gifted with the best depth perception (a facet of a significant astigmatism I deal with), so I wouldn’t say I guessed. Whether it nicked the rim or missed by nine inches, it would probably look the same to me, and under normal circumstances and/or in a two-person game I’m not going to pass on what might have missed by nine inches.

The bigger takeaway for me is that I had help on the left side, and should have engaged that help when I had the chance, but didn’t. If I had, I would have been more ready to trust—and comfortable with trusting—my partner here. It’s definitely in my memory bank for future use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 01, 2020, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

When you suspect this is going to happen, have L stand directly under the basket and look up (similar to football officials under the goal posts on PATs / FGs). S/he can back out quickly once the ball hits the rim.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2020, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When you suspect this is going to happen, have L stand directly under the basket and look up (similar to football officials under the goal posts on PATs / FGs). S/he can back out quickly once the ball hits the rim.
I think this may be the worst piece of advice I’ve ever seen you give on this forum, and I mean that in the nicest possible way as you’ve given lots of great advice over the years I’ve been a member o this forum.

Why would you advocate now to have 3 sets of eyes on the rim at this point? The players in the lane are all going to be jockeying for position upon the release. If L is looking skyward, who’s watch I the rebounding action up until the ball hits the rim?

The key here is, TRUST YOUR PARTNERS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 01, 2020, 11:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Laugh At bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When you suspect this is going to happen, have L stand directly under the basket and look up (similar to football officials under the goal posts on PATs / FGs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
Why would you advocate now to have 3 sets of eyes on the rim at this point? The players in the lane are all going to be jockeying for position upon the release. If L is looking skyward, who’s watch I the rebounding action up until the ball hits the rim?
I believe that bob jenkins was being facetious.

I'm apparently not the only Forum member with a great sense of humor.

When I'm the lead I always keep my eyes down observing the rebounders and sometimes don't know if the field goal attempt or the free throw attempt went in the basket or not.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 01, 2020 at 11:29am.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2020, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eyes Down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When I'm the lead I always keep my eyes down observing the rebounders and sometimes don't know if the field goal attempt or the free throw attempt went in the basket or not.
As the lead, I once sounded my whistle for what I thought was an air ball that went out of bounds on my endline. But it wasn't a airball. My partner told me that the nothing but net ball quickly went through a very loose net and it's trajectory took it out of bounds.

Also, as the lead, I once thought I was allowing a player to run the endline after an opponent's made basket. The inbounder looked at me kind of funny but then proceeded to inbound the ball. My partner then sounded his whistle and informed me that the ball didn't go in the basket, but had been an airball that had pushed aside the net before going out bounds.

While both situations embarrassed me, I was kind of pleased that I kept my eyes down on both plays.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 01, 2020 at 12:51pm.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2020, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
I think this may be the worst piece of advice I’ve ever seen you give on this forum,
I certainly hope so.

Sometimes, blue font shouldn't be needed.