The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I used the "feet-pivot-defender" sequence to determine that the player who shot the 3-point shot moved and replaced his pivot foot prior to shooting. This is why I would have called this a travel in real time.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 03:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I used the "feet-pivot-defender" sequence to determine that the player who shot the 3-point shot moved and replaced his pivot foot prior to shooting. This is why I would have called this a travel in real time.
The "feet" portion of your equation doesn't start until the dribble has ended. So I'm asking, from the angle of the video, can you ascertain when the ball was gathered/came to rest?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Look No one banged this drum longer and louder (at least in my locals zones) about footwork and the fact that if on contested open foot attack dribbles or 1-2 step backs if you looked at the tape 9/10 would be travels on video. However as many people expressed to me then and continue to express now:

1 - The rules are being changed to allow and make more dynamic plays so if we aren't sure side with letting it go.

2 - Almost everyone would rather no call the close ones and be wrong w/ a no call on video that they can say it was too close in real time, than incorrectly call one a travel that was not a travel on video.

3 - If you can't be sure in real time you can't call it. Can't call funny or have to call something etc. If you see something call it, if something happened but you don't know what you saw keep playing.

4- Know what segment of Rome you are in and who they want plays like this officiated. You can't be that guy and have the "travel" be your signature call.

As other have stated nothing on the video I'm seeing convinces me it is absolutely a travel. Let alone in real time.
I used to be that guy too. Especially when it came to spin moves.

Now I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I tell partners who are still sticklers that we'll pass on it to start the game, and if anyone involved yells TRAVEL when we do (and we know it was one, by rule) we'll call the rest of em that night. Never actually had to worry about the second half of that because no one really wants most of these moves to be travels.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 04:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
I used to be that guy too. Especially when it came to spin moves.

Now I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I tell partners who are still sticklers that we'll pass on it to start the game, and if anyone involved yells TRAVEL when we do (and we know it was one, by rule) we'll call the rest of em that night. Never actually had to worry about the second half of that because no one really wants most of these moves to be travels.
I call more spin move travels than most of the officials I work with, but I still don't call them all. I always call the ones that are executed so slowly that you can't help but notice the pivot foot being lifted and re-planted. But the more speedily and fluidly executed spin moves where we have passed I sometimes hear from the bench "travel" and I say to myself, "you're right".

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 03, 2020 at 09:19pm.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I call more spin move travels than most of the officials I work with, but I still don't call them all. I always call the ones that are executed so slowly that you can't help but notice the pivot foot being lifted and re-planted. But the more speedily and fluidly executed speed moves where we have passed I sometimes hear from the bench "travel" and I say to myself, "you're right".

This. I take a similar approach. I know it’s impossible to turn 180 without traveling, provided the dribble has ended before the spin. And that’s what I’m thinking when and if I pass: “I’m not 100% sure the dribble didn’t end during the spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk