The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Step Back 3.....Arizona St. @ Wash. St. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104961-step-back-3-arizona-st-wash-st.html)

Multiple Sports Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:38am

Step Back 3.....Arizona St. @ Wash. St.

Could someone post the step back three taken by WSU with 5.4 remaining. I believe it is a traval that was missed. Thanks in advance for posting the play.

Raymond Thu Jan 30, 2020 03:24pm

Easy to argue that he ended his dribble/gathered the ball with both feet in the air, so he would be allowed to land one-two.

JRutledge Thu Jan 30, 2020 04:06pm

Here is the play

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3LYM-ciuD6w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Jan 30, 2020 06:36pm

Ball caught with left foot inside NCAAW 3-point line and right foot at at NCAAM line.

Then, left foot at men's line and right foot well behind.

It doesn't matter which one you deem the pivot foot, they both moved. Regardless of which one you pick, it is a travel.

Raymond Thu Jan 30, 2020 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1037258)
Ball caught with left foot inside NCAAW 3-point line and right foot at at NCAAM line.

Then, left foot at men's line and right foot well behind.

It doesn't matter which one you deem the pivot foot, they both moved. Regardless of which one you pick, it is a travel.

Not sure how you can tell from this angle at which point he has the ball in his hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Thu Jan 30, 2020 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1037257)
...video

Peace

Jeff,

After ASU throws the ball away on the subsequent possession, they show a replay from behind the shooter.

JRutledge Thu Jan 30, 2020 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037260)
Jeff,

After ASU throws the ball away on the subsequent possession, they show a replay from behind the shooter.

I just saw that. Thanks for the information. I might add it to the current video.

Peace

dahoopref Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037259)
Not sure how you can tell from this angle at which point he has the ball in his hand.

I agree with this, especially in real time. It happens so fast that if shouldn't be called if unsure.

Per the ruling in AR 211:
Quote:

On plays where the location of the foot at the time of ending the dribble is uncertain, the benefit of the doubt should rest with the dribbler having made a legal play by ending his dribble with two feet off the floor.

Raymond Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1037315)
I agree with this, especially in real time. It happens so fast that if shouldn't be called if unsure.

I forgot all about that. I think it was also brought up in the preseason video.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 03, 2020 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1037315)

In real time, I agree. I wouldn't call it.

Pantherdreams Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44am

Look No one banged this drum longer and louder (at least in my locals zones) about footwork and the fact that if on contested open foot attack dribbles or 1-2 step backs if you looked at the tape 9/10 would be travels on video. However as many people expressed to me then and continue to express now:

1 - The rules are being changed to allow and make more dynamic plays so if we aren't sure side with letting it go.

2 - Almost everyone would rather no call the close ones and be wrong w/ a no call on video that they can say it was too close in real time, than incorrectly call one a travel that was not a travel on video.

3 - If you can't be sure in real time you can't call it. Can't call funny or have to call something etc. If you see something call it, if something happened but you don't know what you saw keep playing.

4- Know what segment of Rome you are in and who they want plays like this officiated. You can't be that guy and have the "travel" be your signature call.

As other have stated nothing on the video I'm seeing convinces me it is absolutely a travel. Let alone in real time.

ilyazhito Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:11pm

This play is a travel in NFHS and NCAAM rules.

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 1037326)
2 - Almost everyone would rather no call the close ones and be wrong w/ a no call on video that they can say it was too close in real time, than incorrectly call one a travel that was not a travel on video.

3 - If you can't be sure in real time you can't call it. Can't call funny or have to call something etc. If you see something call it, if something happened but you don't know what you saw keep playing.

Mike Brey just “liked” your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC Official Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:48pm

"A no-call goes away. A bad call is here to stay."

Raymond Mon Feb 03, 2020 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1037332)
This play is a travel in NFHS and NCAAM rules.

You can determine when the ball came to rest in the ball-handler's hand(s) from the video posted?