The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Notre Dame/Florida State video request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104957-notre-dame-florida-state-video-request.html)

SC Official Mon Jan 27, 2020 08:15pm

Notre Dame/Florida State video request

At 2:31 in the second half there is a travel and a T called on Notre Dame. This prompted Brey to complain about the officiating in the postgame and call out the official by name.

crosscountry55 Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40pm

...For which his school was subsequently fined $20K, and I’m sure it’s in his contract that this will come out of his pocket. To his credit, he has already apologized and accepted responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5Y4lSIzaU0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Jan 28, 2020 02:08am

The coach was right about it not being a travel.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 28, 2020 03:34am

Another case of calling something because it looks awkward, but not because one observed clear illegal action.

Indianaref Tue Jan 28, 2020 07:46am

oops:o

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 08:54am

We all miss calls. My problem with this missed call is that the Center official could see the Lead is on the play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1037201)
What? Transition plays are dual coverage nearly all the time....if there was a travel the Slot would actually have the best look here.

Unfortunate IC, reminder we need to have a HIGH degree of certainty before calling things that result in a turnover especially late in the game.

Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Center was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037202)
Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Trail was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

I think at the time of the pass / "third foot" coming down, L had another player in the way.

I have no problem with C getting this (assuming it had been a travel, of course).

Unless we talk with L, we won't know whether he saw it and judged it correctly, or didn't see it so didn't call it.

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1037203)
I think at the time of the pass / "third foot" coming down, L had another player in the way.

I have no problem with C getting this (assuming it had been a travel, of course).

Unless we talk with L, we won't know whether he saw it and judged it correctly, or didn't see it so didn't call it.

If I'm that far behind a play and my partner's right there I'm not coming to get it, especially when I'm looking at the back of the player.

AremRed Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:01pm

Quote:

Transition or not, the Lead was five feet in front of the player with the ball with an open look at his actions. The Trail was about 15 to 20 feet behind the ball looking at the back of the player. Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

You mean the Center don't you?

In any case the Lead has a couple bodies passing between him and the player with the ball which can obscure his vision the feet/ball/etc.

In your first post you said the Center could see Lead was on the play. In transition there's no way any official should be looking at their partner to see where their eyes are. There's too much going on. In a half court set you generally get a feel for what your partners can and can't see but in transition -- all bets are off.

Raymond Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1037206)
You mean the Center don't you?

In any case the Lead has a couple bodies passing between him and the player with the ball which can obscure his vision the feet/ball/etc.

In your first post you said the Center could see Lead was on the play. In transition there's no way any official should be looking at their partner to see where their eyes are. There's too much going on. In a half court set you generally get a feel for what your partners can and can't see but in transition -- all bets are off.

The Lead is in the same line of vision as the ball-handler from the Center's vantage point.

We can either continue to do the same things or we can strive to get better by looking at plays where we (officials) make mistakes and figure out how or why it should have been handled differently.

I have also learned from my own personal experiences not to call travels when I don't see the ball thru the entire sequence. There is a point where the ball handler's back is completely turned to the Center official, therefore he would have no idea if there was a bobble or not during those two steps.

SC Official Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:26pm

To me this wasn't even a "because it looked funny" travel. It didn't even enter my mind when I watched the play for the first time (I didn't know a travel was the call that preceded the T).

We all have bad ICs.

BillyMac Tue Jan 28, 2020 01:26pm

Bobbleheads ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037208)
... not to call travels when I don't see the ball thru the entire sequence. There is a point where the ball handler's back is completely turned to the Center official, therefore he would have no idea if there was a bobble or not during those two steps.

Good point, especially when the coach and fans see the ball being bobbled.

crosscountry55 Tue Jan 28, 2020 02:58pm

Quote:

Open looks trump inflexible philosophies about coverage areas.

I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to hear that.

I’ve had way too many pregames this year where my R has uttered the stale and antiquated, “Tonight we’re going to referee our primaries...stay in your primary...unless it’s an elephant, blah blah blah.” These are quality varsity games and our conversations are at the 101 level instead of the 401 level. And I know what some of you are thinking....”well, Cross, as the U2 you have to step in and take charge of the pregame...” Hey I’m with ya, but around here usurping some of our grizzly veterans is about as taboo as a loud fart in church on Christmas morning. So after a while you just have to live with the fact that elements of your association are about ten years behind the times. It’s frustrating.

JRutledge Tue Jan 28, 2020 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037214)
I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to hear that.

I’ve had way too many pregames this year where my R has uttered the stale and antiquated, “Tonight we’re going to referee our primaries...stay in your primary...unless it’s an elephant, blah blah blah.”

I do not have any issues with that being said. I still think you should do this for the most part. But you have to know when to come out of your primary and this probably was not one of them. Or we do not have a primary in transition. This was in transition. The calling official appeared to guess. And I have no idea if the lead saw this at all or had an opinion. The bottom line, if you make a call see it clearly.

Quote:

These are quality varsity games and our conversations are at the 101 level instead of the 401 level. And I know what some of you are thinking....”well, Cross, as the U2 you have to step in and take charge of the pregame...” Hey I’m with ya, but around here usurping some of our grizzly veterans is about as taboo as a loud fart in church on Christmas morning. So after a while you just have to live with the fact that elements of your association are about ten years behind the times. It’s frustrating.

So you cannot say something in the pregame with your partners in the locker room? You cannot ask questions or be specific about a situation and ask "How do you handle it?"

Peace

BillyMac Tue Jan 28, 2020 03:53pm

Reasonable Question ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1037215)
"How do you handle it?"

Sounds like a thoughtful, reasonable question to me.

so cal lurker Tue Jan 28, 2020 05:55pm

Quote:

I’ve had way too many pregames this year where my R has uttered the stale and antiquated, “Tonight we’re going to referee our primaries...stay in your primary...unless it’s an elephant, blah blah blah.” These are quality varsity games and our conversations are at the 101 level instead of the 401 level.

I ref soccer, not basketball, but I've noticed essentially the same thing about pregames: too many referees fall into a canned pregame that doesn't give thought to the particular game, the level of play, or who their partners are that day. Pregames--whatever the sport--should involve thought, not rote recitation.

BillyMac Tue Jan 28, 2020 06:09pm

Flexible Pregames ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1037229)
... thought to the particular game, the level of play, or who their partners are that day. Pregames--whatever the sport--should involve thought, not rote recitation.

I worked with a brand new rookie partner last week. Only her sixth game, first with me. I took out my notes, and went through the whole nine yards (we had plenty of time).

Afterward I explained to her that not all pregames are the same. The length and breadth of my pregame depends on the experience of my partner, my experience with my partner, how early or late in the season it is, and how much time we have for a pregame.

johnny d Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06pm

Pregames are a waste of time. People talk, listen, shake their heads in agreement, and then go out on the court and referee the same way they always do. My pregame is very simple. Don't **** up, and if you do don't expect me to bail you out. Again, at the end of the day, guys just fall back into their old habits anyway.

ODog Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1037231)
Pregames are a waste of time. People talk, listen, shake their heads in agreement, and then go out on the court and referee the same way they always do ... at the end of the day, guys just fall back into their old habits anyway.

Sad, but totally true. While I find them useful in the sense of at least getting into a basketball frame of mind and visualizing that you're about to be doing a game in 20-25 minutes, most guys just "yup, yup, yup" through it and then do whatever they always do, for better or worse.

JRutledge Wed Jan 29, 2020 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1037231)
Pregames are a waste of time. People talk, listen, shake their heads in agreement, and then go out on the court and referee the same way they always do. My pregame is very simple. Don't **** up, and if you do don't expect me to bail you out. Again, at the end of the day, guys just fall back into their old habits anyway.

I totally disagree with that. For one the pregame is not for you to shape how others officiate or the things you call. It is for you to start talking basketball or get your mind on the game. I know travel can be frustrating. Our jobs can be frustrating. Our families can be frustrating. The pregame gets us to what we are supposed to be doing for that couple of hours and that is to call a game. No one cares about our personal issues when

I can tell you when you work with people you never met or have no idea what they do, a pregame helps me set some expectations or understand my partners. If we talk about nothing then how do we handle things. Sometimes I just want to know my partner's attitude about uniforms so when we start the game we know how that is going to be handled or why it will be handled in a certain way.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Jan 29, 2020 09:37am

Wouldn't It Be Nice (The Beach Boys, 1966) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1037233)
... when you work with people you never met or have no idea what they do, a pregame helps me set some expectations or understand my partners ... how do we handle things ... want to know my partner's attitude about uniforms so when we start the game we know how that is going to be handled ...

Agree, especially with inexperienced partners and/or partners that you have never worked with, or haven't worked with in a long time.

Boundary responsibilities old school versus new school, attitude about out-of-bounds help, liberal or conservative primary coverage areas, by the book or otherwise put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds or violation, by the book or otherwise switches, handling double whistles and preliminary signals, communication by nonadministering official not ready on throwins, who identifies free throw shooter, handling less than a minute and last second shot.

I wish that everybody officiated the same exact consistent way, but that's not the case here in my little corner of Connecticut.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." (Scottish proverb)

BillyMac Wed Jan 29, 2020 09:59am

Fashion Pregame ...

Quote:

... want to know my partner's attitude about uniforms so when we start the game we know how that is going to be handled or why it will be handled in a certain way.

Especially now that I'm working midafternoon middle school games, especially girls games. I want to know exactly how both of us are going to handle fashion police issues before we step out onto the court. I don't want a good cop/bad cop routine once we get out there.

For your information, this is my second year working middle school games. As the referee, I concentrate on undershirts, headbands, and wristbands, ignoring arm sleeves and leg sleeves. I will try to get girls to comply with the undershirt requirement, but will listen to coaches who sincerely complain that their young adolescent girls are bashful about wearing sleeveless jerseys, which in many cases are nothing more than sleeveless thin fabric reversible practice pinnies. If it's a choice of several girls not playing that afternoon or allowing them to play, I will often side with allowing them to play. Boys don't get the same allowance. I know that this isn't by the book, but it's certainly a little better than the Wild Wild West approach of many of my middle school official colleagues.

"But I've worn this headband all season."

Raymond Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38am

Quote:

I totally disagree with that. For one the pregame is not for you to shape how others officiate or the things you call. It is for you to start talking basketball or get your mind on the game. I know travel can be frustrating. Our jobs can be frustrating. Our families can be frustrating. The pregame gets us to what we are supposed to be doing for that couple of hours and that is to call a game. No one cares about our personal issues when

I can tell you when you work with people you never met or have no idea what they do, a pregame helps me set some expectations or understand my partners. If we talk about nothing then how do we handle things. Sometimes I just want to know my partner's attitude about uniforms so when we start the game we know how that is going to be handled or why it will be handled in a certain way.

Peace

I had a pre-game once with two guys who definitely needed a pregame, and the 4 situations I specifically covered happened by halftime.

Pre-games are great to get your mind on basketball and thinking about plays and having the correct mindset.

Also when you working with a guys you rarely work with, which happens in college basketball a lot, it helps ensure you're on the same page mechanically.

JRutledge Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037236)
I had a pre-game once with two guys who definitely needed a pregame, and the 4 situations I specifically covered happened by halftime.

Pre-games are great to get your mind on basketball and thinking about plays and having the correct mindset.

Also when you working with a guys you rarely work with, which happens in college basketball a lot, it helps ensure you're on the same page mechanically.

In college basketball, you can work in different conferences and you have different supervisors that have different philosophies on things as well. Sometimes the pregame is just to discuss the different situations you have been in and things addressed by a specific conference. And even different levels bring different standards. I work NAIA games and that sometimes has a different standard or expectation than a D2 or D3 game.

Peace

youngump Sat Feb 01, 2020 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037189)
...For which his school was subsequently fined $20K, and I’m sure it’s in his contract that this will come out of his pocket. To his credit, he has already apologized and accepted responsibility.

Has the official in question? Suppressing coach speech to improve the perception of the state of officiating is a dangerous game. Forcing people to say they are sorry when they are not doesn't help either. This was a huge call late in the game, from a weird spot on the floor, sold badly, and wrong and then compounded with a technical foul(*). Freeing up everybody to speak their mind about that is much more likely to lead to catharsis, healing or necessary changes then the current kabuki we're in.

(*) And I would assume based on the score and delta from where they would have been without this call effectively ended the game, though I didn't see it and have no interest in going to check.

SC Official Sat Feb 01, 2020 01:50pm

I abso-f******-lutely hate the stupid "don't compound a missed call with a technical foul" nonsense.

Sorry, but coaches and players don't get to do whatever they want just because they may have a legitimate beef.

youngump Sat Feb 01, 2020 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037286)
I abso-f******-lutely hate the stupid "don't compound a missed call with a technical foul" nonsense.

Sorry, but coaches and players don't get to do whatever they want just because they may have a legitimate beef.

Well, that seems like a rather extreme position that I've never heard anybody defend. But there is something to be said for some judgment about how much to allow. But whether it is nonsense or not, that wasn't the thing I was saying. Whether we should have a preference for allowing more rope after bigger calls or calls that we had to sell funny or the like, the point remains that in this case this call WAS compounded by a technical.

Raymond Sat Feb 01, 2020 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1037285)
Has the official in question? Suppressing coach speech to improve the perception of the state of officiating is a dangerous game. ...

Have you ever considered that conferences, which are run by conference commissioners at the behest of the schools' presidents, have rules regarding the media which their coaches are expected to follow?

So even if an official gets a judgement call wrong, the coach is probably not allowed to go to the media and blast that official by name.

Have you also considered that there are protocols in place for coaches to follow when they want to address an officiating issue?

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 01, 2020 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037288)
Have you also considered that there are protocols in place for coaches to follow when they want to address an officiating issue?

I’m assuming he has also failed to consider (or doesn’t know) that NCAA officials are evaluated on all games at every level.

The fact that actions have consequences cuts both ways.

JRutledge Sat Feb 01, 2020 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037286)

The official in question probably does not think they got the play wrong. So that is stupid when I hear what we are to allow certain behavior when you have not seen the video.

Peace

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 01, 2020 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1037293)
The official in question probably does not think they got the play wrong. So that is stupid when I hear what we are to allow certain behavior when you have not seen the video.

I agree. But even if we do think we got the play wrong (we’re not robots, after all), a certain level of decorum must be maintained. I’ll give a coach or player a little extra rope in that scenario, but when the toddler temper tantrum or a magic word or two are unleashed, I have to address it.

JRutledge Sat Feb 01, 2020 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037294)
I agree. But even if we do think we got the play wrong (we’re not robots, after all), a certain level of decorum must be maintained. I’ll give a coach or player a little extra rope in that scenario, but when the toddler temper tantrum or a magic word or two are unleashed, I have to address it.

And we do not know what was said and by whom. It appeared to be an assistant coach and those guys get very little rope to react anyway.

Peace

SC Official Sun Feb 02, 2020 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1037293)

Peace

A good point I forgot to include. If he did not believe he missed the call then it's not possible for him to "compound" his mistake, if you buy into that phony line of thinking.

I have had many plays that I thought I got right in real time only to watch the film and realize I was incorrect. Some of those decisions preceded a well-deserved technical foul, but that doesn't mean I "compounded" my mistake that I didn't even know I made at the time.

SC Official Sun Feb 02, 2020 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037292)
I’m assuming he has also failed to consider (or doesn’t know) that NCAA officials are evaluated on all games at every level.

Maybe in Division 1, but at the D2 and D3 you aren't getting an eval every night. Still, even at those levels there aren't any conferences that will allow coaches to do what Brey did without some type of repercussion. And there is good reason for that on top of the fact that there are procedures in place for coaches to voice their displeasure internally.

JRutledge Sun Feb 02, 2020 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037305)
Maybe in Division 1, but at the D2 and D3 you aren't getting an eval every night. Still, even at those levels there aren't any conferences that will allow coaches to do what Brey did without some type of repercussion. And there is good reason for that on top of the fact that there are procedures in place for coaches to voice their displeasure internally.

It has become common that you are getting videos at those levels. I get more college game videos than I ever got working high school games. So the evaluation is increasing, but certainly not what D1 guys can get. But I can look at my plays at that level and figure out what I screwed up (if the angle is good).

Peace

youngump Sun Feb 02, 2020 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037288)
Have you ever considered that conferences, which are run by conference commissioners at the behest of the schools' presidents, have rules regarding the media which their coaches are expected to follow?

So even if an official gets a judgement call wrong, the coach is probably not allowed to go to the media and blast that official by name.

Did you read my post? I've not only considered that; I was stating rather explicitly my objection to such policies.

youngump Sun Feb 02, 2020 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037292)

Why would you make that assumption? I've definitely considered how that affects it and still think the benefits of an enforced silence policy(*) are outweighed by it's cost.

(*) Or an enforced dishonesty policy as the case may be.

Raymond Sun Feb 02, 2020 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1037308)
Did you read my post? I've not only considered that; I was stating rather explicitly my objection to such policies.

Well, apparently the folks who run the college conferences across the country have different expectations and standards in regards to its coaches. I'm glad they do.

youngump Sun Feb 02, 2020 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037304)
A good point I forgot to include. If he did not believe he missed the call then it's not possible for him to "compound" his mistake, if you buy into that phony line of thinking.

I have had many plays that I thought I got right in real time only to watch the film and realize I was incorrect. Some of those decisions preceded a well-deserved technical foul, but that doesn't mean I "compounded" my mistake that I didn't even know I made at the time.

You're conflating the notion of whether you made a second mistake with whether your mistake was compounded. If you miss a foul call, the mistake is compounded if that player is in foul trouble. That doesn't mean you made a worse mistake.
If the technical that follows is obvious, then that's one thing. If it's borderline and you weren't sure that's another.

(In another sport, I've thrown a coach where I was quite sure I was wrong but couldn't fix it. That definitely compounded my mistake but throwing him wasn't a mistake as he took that choice out of my hands.)

youngump Sun Feb 02, 2020 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037310)
Well, apparently the folks who run the college conferences across the country have different expectations and standards in regards to its coaches. I'm glad they do.

And I'm not glad because I think the benefits are outweighed by the costs.

Raymond Sun Feb 02, 2020 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1037287)
...the point remains that in this case this call WAS compounded by a technical.

So at that moment, the official knew he got the play wrong and should have tolerated inappropriate comments or behavior from the bench personnel?

Raymond Sun Feb 02, 2020 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1037312)
And I'm not glad because I think the benefits are outweighed by the costs.

Maybe one day you'll be in a position to affect that change. But I'm thinking scholastic administrators just simply don't want their coaches bad-mouthing officials in the press.

I guess you're also in favor of officials publicly commenting about coaches and institutions by name?

jmwking Mon Feb 03, 2020 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037314)

I guess you're also in favor of officials publicly commenting about coaches and institutions by name?

Ouch - tough standard around here!

SC Official Mon Feb 03, 2020 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwking (Post 1037319)

Not really.

youngump Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:20am

Quote:

For the protection of the officials, I think it would be a bad idea in many cases. But I'm sure I also see that as a much closer and more case specific than most here.
To take an example, an open letter about the behavior of Coach Knight would have it's merits. Letting officials answer questions about what happened when a coach threw a chair across the court also might. [And for that matter, I feel like I've read an interview with the referees who were there at some point (but perhaps not, or perhaps they waited until they were retired to speak on the matter.)] But on the flip side it would make it harder for Indiana fans to believe that they were being neutrally officiated with Coach Knight there. Or perhaps, and this is what I was trying to get at, that's not the flip side but actually a pro to greater transparency.

Raymond Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1037327)
For the protection of the officials, I think it would be a bad idea in many cases. But I'm sure I also see that as a much closer and more case specific than most here.
To take an example, an open letter about the behavior of Coach Knight would have it's merits. Letting officials answer questions about what happened when a coach threw a chair across the court also might. [And for that matter, I feel like I've read an interview with the referees who were there at some point (but perhaps not, or perhaps they waited until they were retired to speak on the matter.)] But on the flip side it would make it harder for Indiana fans to believe that they were being neutrally officiated with Coach Knight there. Or perhaps, and this is what I was trying to get at, that's not the flip side but actually a pro to greater transparency.

IMO, if conferences allow coaches to criticize officials, especially by name, people are always going think that official will never give that coach's team a fair shake in the future.

jmwking Mon Feb 03, 2020 06:00pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwking (Post 1037319)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037321)
Not really.

Just trying to note how coaches routinely get talked about (publicly) here, albeit not the games called.

SC Official Mon Feb 03, 2020 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwking (Post 1037365)
Just trying to note how coaches routinely get talked about (publicly) here, albeit not the games called.

Are you seriously comparing an Internet message board of officials to a nationally televised press conference?

Please excuse me while I clean up my drink I spit out from laughing.

JRutledge Mon Feb 03, 2020 07:06pm

Quote:

None of us work their games. Not sure who we talk about other than some public situations and their behavior. But remind me the last time any of have had guys we show on video here. Officials that work those games are not hear talking about those situations we show.

Peace

Raymond Mon Feb 03, 2020 08:09pm

Quote:

We do not talk about the coaches and institutions we work ourselves. We'll just say we worked a game somewhere and ... happened.