Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
Ouch - tough standard around here!
Not really.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I guess you're also in favor of officials publicly commenting about coaches and institutions by name?
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
For the protection of the officials, I think it would be a bad idea in many cases. But I'm sure I also see that as a much closer and more case specific than most here.
To take an example, an open letter about the behavior of Coach Knight would have it's merits. Letting officials answer questions about what happened when a coach threw a chair across the court also might. [And for that matter, I feel like I've read an interview with the referees who were there at some point (but perhaps not, or perhaps they waited until they were retired to speak on the matter.)] But on the flip side it would make it harder for Indiana fans to believe that they were being neutrally officiated with Coach Knight there. Or perhaps, and this is what I was trying to get at, that's not the flip side but actually a pro to greater transparency.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 12:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
For the protection of the officials, I think it would be a bad idea in many cases. But I'm sure I also see that as a much closer and more case specific than most here.
To take an example, an open letter about the behavior of Coach Knight would have it's merits. Letting officials answer questions about what happened when a coach threw a chair across the court also might. [And for that matter, I feel like I've read an interview with the referees who were there at some point (but perhaps not, or perhaps they waited until they were retired to speak on the matter.)] But on the flip side it would make it harder for Indiana fans to believe that they were being neutrally officiated with Coach Knight there. Or perhaps, and this is what I was trying to get at, that's not the flip side but actually a pro to greater transparency.
IMO, if conferences allow coaches to criticize officials, especially by name, people are always going think that official will never give that coach's team a fair shake in the future.

Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

I guess you're also in favor of officials publicly commenting about coaches and institutions by name?

Quote:
Ouch - tough standard around here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not really.
Just trying to note how coaches routinely get talked about (publicly) here, albeit not the games called.

Last edited by jmwking; Mon Feb 03, 2020 at 06:12pm.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just trying to note how coaches routinely get talked about (publicly) here, albeit not the games called.
Are you seriously comparing an Internet message board of officials to a nationally televised press conference?

Please excuse me while I clean up my drink I spit out from laughing.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 07:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
None of us work their games. Not sure who we talk about other than some public situations and their behavior. But remind me the last time any of have had guys we show on video here. Officials that work those games are not hear talking about those situations we show.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 08:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We do not talk about the coaches and institutions we work ourselves. We'll just say we worked a game somewhere and ... happened.